Chagford - A Joint SR/GWR Terminus Shelf Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
SteveOfTheStow

Chagford - A Joint SR/GWR Terminus Shelf Layout

Postby SteveOfTheStow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Had a really good Southern-themed tailchaser when I was a child and now, somewhat older, I have the space for a shelf layout.

It should be set in the Big Four era, and I'm still partial to Southern but would like a GWR influence. I can manage 6.5' by 1' and would like some lasting operational potential so I'd like an Inglenook but without it being blatantly obvious.

I've drawn a layout design and would like constructive feedback (or alternative designs, if anyone's keen!) whilst keeping to the specification above. I'd like to respect prototype as much as possible, but effort should be proportional to the result as this is very much a side-hobby for me (don't get me wrong, the heavily customised layouts that take time to build look amazing! But I just don't have the time or patience at this stage of my life)

Thanks for any suggestions

----

So below is the layout I've come up with. Measurements aren't exact as I need to wait for the last of my rolling stock to arrive and then get lay it all out and check loading gauges and such, but I don't imagine track lengths would vary by more than a fraction of an inch. I have all the rolling stock I need already.

It's set in Chagford on Dartmoor, which never had a station, in the 1930s. Compass points are reversed, so down on the diagram is north and left is east. Left (East) is downhill. The station belongs to the Southern Railway and they have the longer platform, the loop and the goods yard. But, GWR also serve the station as an extension of the Moretonhampsted railway to Newton Abbot, using a pannier and autocoach. Southern's service offering is typically a Terrier plus two Maunsell coaches, calling at various villages east of Chagford on a fictional line to Exeter roughly along the line of the A30. The 'mainline' on the left of the layout is the only line into the station - it would split off for each direction (SR to the northeast, GWR to the south) off-layout.

The layout is designed with Peco code 75 track. There's no fiddle yard as I don't want to give over the required, highly visible, shelf space to such a 'no-man's land', so sadly the majority of the layout bar the Inglenook section will basically be non-operational, but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather make the best visible layout I can using the space available.

In terms of theoretical operation, if I could ever add a fiddle yard, the GWR train would largely be free to come and go as it pleases. An SR Terrier works the goods yard at the bottom but must retreat to the shed if the SR passenger train comes in as that train's loco needs to run round using the loop. When the 'yard' loco has the run of the station to itself, it can form a train in the yard and run it out onto the mainline using the eastern and western shunt sidings in order to clear the necessary pointwork. A brake van would typically be stored on the left headshunt next to the mainline.

One aspect that definitely needs improvement is on the left side where the sidings end and the 'mainline' heads off. The sidings can't really extend any further, in order to meet the Inglenook spec, but I wouldn't mind if the headshunt was longer. Was thinking of a cliche hillside and tunnel but was wondering if there are other ideas out there? I'm not a great 'modeller' so would be looking for something that doesn't require precise and steady hands!

Steve6 - Annotated.jpg
Steve6 - Annotated.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

SteveOfTheStow

Re: Chagford - A Joint SR/GWR Terminus Shelf Layout

Postby SteveOfTheStow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Forgot to explicitly mention, the layout is OO :)

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Have you considered a cassette to act as a fiddle yard? If the front of your layout was at the top you could attach a cassette on the neighbouring shelf without loosing too much storage space/empty acres.

Also I would suggest removing one of the sidings of the inglenook. It make is look crowded. The inglenook geometry can still be obtained using the headshunt (as the assembly line with five wagon lengths) and the run around loop (loco plus three). This would disguise the nature of it as well and give you room for a goods shed or yard crane. Also don't forget you can create artificial barriers for the Inglenook shunting puzzle aspect. eg a broken wagon or failed loco could restrict a siding length, entry to the goods shed, etc Or simply have removable buffers that can be set to suite. This would let you have longer sidings for normal operation.

Also beware of "limit of shunt". I saw this mentioned in another thread somewhere and in essence this operates as a signal at danger and is not allowed to be passed so technically the loco couldn't return to it's shed!

SteveOfTheStow

Postby SteveOfTheStow » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback jon, much appreciated. With regard to adding a cassette, unfortunately on either side of this shelf are a wall and a wardrobe, so I've really maximised my space already at 6.5' by 12ish' :( The tips on 'hiding' the Inglenook are great, though.

For those interested I had redesigned the layout over Easter to be a bit more in keeping with prototype within the confines of my shelf area, adding a cattle dock and goods shed as well as 'pairing up' the sidings with space on either side for loading and making better use of space overall. This is shown in the diagram below.

BUT I've come to the realisation that I'm probably trying to have my cake and eat it with this layout and, with no fiddle yard possible unless I claw back some length, it means much of the station is non-operational if I want passenger rolling stock on it. Getting rid of unnecessary items like the engine shed is easy but will help little to stem the fight for space between the passenger station and the yard - the yard comes across as somewhat unprototypical to me given it's on the other side of the station from the entrance and therefore the main road.

In a fight between the two, the yard would definitely hold my operational interest better and would therefore win, but I'm going to see if I can avoid choosing between the two a little longer.

I'll continue to draw and post any further thoughts here - thanks in advance to any further contributors :)
Attachments
Steve8 - Annotated.jpg
Steve8 - Annotated.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

SteveOfTheStow

Postby SteveOfTheStow » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Measurements in the first line of the previous post should be 6.5 feet by 12 inches :) [not 12 feet!]

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 am

What about something like this?

6.5 by 1.jpg
6.5 by 1.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

It has the inglenook, loco facilities, goods, a run around loop and carriage/stock storage on the sidings. Max train length is about 650 mm. The branchline could be a cassette or just a line from which you can add or remove stock.

Basic operation would be as follows:
Passenger train arrives in station
Pushes back into the carriage storage then to loco facilities for coal/water
Goods train arrives. Runs around the train and proceeds to shunt the yard.
Goods loco assembles a departing train and departs
Passenger Loco draws fresh stock from the sidings, runs around and departs.

Or variations of the above. eg you could have SR arrive with GWR and have one or other push back into the carriage sidings to allow the other to arrive/depart.

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Here's a variation on the above

6.5 by 1 v2.jpg
6.5 by 1 v2.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

It preserves your bay platform. Train lengths, etc are the same, the inglenook is still present as well. The only downside is you need to lose the engine shed. The carriage sidings give you some flexibility since they could be a dairy or some other industry. All you would need to do is swap in and out some type of building or loading facility.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”