Preserved line in the 70's

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Ken Shabby

Preserved line in the 70's

Postby Ken Shabby » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 pm

This is a project I have been planning for a while, using a board measuring 160 by 102 cm. Please ignore the numbers along the side and top this is just a guide as to where the supports of the frame will sit, please also ignore the random piece of track at the side as I'm still getting to grips with Anyrail.

The layout is set in the mid 70's and is the newly completed extension of a preserved railway. The trains emerge from the fiddle yard through the tunnel mouth and run round a curve through woods to a newly reopened halt. At the end of the platform are the buffer stops tucked under a road bridge. This is as far as the line runs pending the purchase of the rest of the track bed. A back scene of overgrown track bed will be fitted under the road bridge. As there Is no run round, trains will consist of a LIma GWR railcar or a yet to be purchase Heljan railbus, loco hauled train will be 1 or 2 MK1 suburbans still in rail blue hauled by a small tank engine. The sidings will be used for stabling vintage stock and brake van rides.
There may be a couple of signals, but they will be modelled as uncomissioned with white crosses over the arms. As loco hauled trains will be propelled when departing the station , the line speed will be well under the normal 25 mph .

Ken

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Preserved line in the 70's

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 pm

I like this idea, preserved railways are often modelled, but not their earlier days. A couple of thoughts, how about top and tailing? Locos would probably be austerities or ugliest etc. Also, it wasn't at all uncommon for your mk 1s to be blue and grey on one side but a fresh maroon/choc n cream/ blood n custard/green on the platform side! That would be something interesting to make model! As you say, sidings crammed with rusting hulks and very little in good condition. Something else of interest; at that time locos were less commonly painted in BR and more,in pre nationalisation colours as I believe br didn't want to be associated with "out dated technology"
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am

Your platform looks too narrow. Can I suggest putting in a short piece of track between your two set track points or realigning them somehow (eg using a curved point SL-E86). In fact could I recommend looking at using all streamline points in the scenic area as you will get a more pleasing look to it. You appear to have the space to do it with Streamline track and it is compatible with Set Track so you can still use the R3 curves.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:55 am

At the moment the only general shape of the layout and size of the board are set in stone, so streamline points may be an option.
If I get this time this weekend I will be laying track loosely on the board just to try and visualize how it will look.
I have a Wills Finecast halt which I built for a never finished project, consisting of 3 kits fixed together to take 2 Mk1 coaches. I might use these for the station, which will of course produce quite a narrow platform.
I recently did a few experiments running short trains top and tailed with 2 locos and had reasonably successful results using my Old HM Clipper and 2 locos either the same or with the same chassis. 2 coaches and 2 Hornby Terriers looked good trundling round.

Ken

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Sounds an excellent idea - like the track plan.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:05 pm

The baseboard has been constructed and track loosely laid in various versions of the original plan, so all further updates will appear in the under construction section.
Ken

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:08 pm

If you ask a mod nicely, they'll move this thread to the construction section, so you can carry on with this thread. Looking forward to construction!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 am

Sadly this particular project has been shelved for the foreseeable future.
A reorganization of the Loft bedroom and adjoining study, means I've had to dismantle my old layout which ran around the very narrow study room.
Instead I now have space for a layout measuring 9ft by 4.5ft in the loft bedroom and want to build a Southern layout circa 1955-70, as I have a large collection of BR(S) stock. This will mean no room for a 2nd layout at the present time as the room is also home to my record collection and various other bits and pieces.
Ken.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”