N Gauge layout ideas

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Tim J Taylor

N Gauge layout ideas

Postby Tim J Taylor » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm looking for an interesting layout idea which will fit the following criteria.

Must be able to run a continuous loop. Must have goods yard and sidings for plenty of shunting etc. Should be single side open (i.e. the tracks disappear into tunnels at each end) having a fiddle yard hidden at the rear by scenic backboard where the operator would be located. Size wise, I would hope to fit this onto a 30" x 48"

I am going dizzy trying to design something myself (scribbles on paper mostly) so I am calling on the community to throw in some ideas please.

whynot

Re: N Gauge layout ideas

Postby whynot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Have you browsed

http://www.freetrackplans.com/Layout-Plans.php

00 based but easily rescaled - and quite a few from which to choose.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Tim J Taylor

Postby Tim J Taylor » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 pm

whynot wrote:Have you browsed

http://www.freetrackplans.com/Layout-Plans.php

00 based but easily rescaled - and quite a few from which to choose.

Thanks for that link, hadn't found that site before. I'll take a look :-)

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 am

What era? That makes a big difference to track layout and stock type, eg for early BR a station goods yard with goods shed, coal staithes, etc would be appropriate but for modern image it would be wholly inappropriate.

Tim J Taylor

Postby Tim J Taylor » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 am

jon_1066 wrote:What era? That makes a big difference to track layout and stock type, eg for early BR a station goods yard with goods shed, coal staithes, etc would be appropriate but for modern image it would be wholly inappropriate.

Yes, of course; definitely steam, not modern day diesel/electric.

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 pm

This is the best I could come up with. The focus is on the shunting with the station off to one side. It is a twin track with one end hidden by an overbridge and the other a tunnel. The bridge also masks the end of the station. You could operate it as a round but also an end to end. Trains approach the station from the right hand side on the outer line. They terminate on the main platform. The loco then uncouples and runs around the train via the fiddle yard and either shunts the train into the departure platform or the bay.

For goods trains the loco is able to run around the train, shunt the yard and reassemble a new train ready for departure. This could be choreographed with a passenger arrival or departure from the bay.

N Gauge round.jpg
N Gauge round.jpg (120.33 KiB) Viewed 2883 times

There is some room for scenery and a private industry. Perhaps an urban scene with a factory could work well to disguise the curved nature of the layout.

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 pm

I rather like the look of that. I'm not an expert on operational stuff, but two practicals occur: 1. is the headshunt long enough and 2 does 30" depth make for a bit of a stretch to the fiddle yard (assuming not free-standing) especially across the scenic divide?

Just thoughts.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 am

The OP asked for a layout that would be operated from the back so I presume it is free standing with access all around. The headshunt could be made longer depending on how you scenic the tunnels but it should fit a few wagons as is

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

Here's an alternative.

N Gauge round 2.jpg
N Gauge round 2.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

This is a mirror of the first in many ways but I think has greater operational potential. A traverser fiddle yard could work quite well to give you a max train length of 500 mm with four storage roads.

You could operate it as a through station or the end of a line. Operations wise I think end of line would give more interest as trains terminate on the arrival platform. The engine runs around (via the traverser) and the train is shunted into the departure platform or bay. There is plenty of shunting for goods trains with departing trains needing to be "reassembled" with the brake on the rear and the goods and private sidings needing to be shunted. Again run around is via the traverser.

The overbridge hides the entrance to the fiddle yard and also can give the impression of a larger station.

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Traaversers are great ideas - but not in my experience all that easy to construct! One needs to be a pretty competent (and very accurate) carpenter.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Here's a scenic idea for it. A town back scene with low relief buildings with a dairy beside the station and a terraced street descending the hill to the front of the layout.

N Gauge 3D.jpg
N Gauge 3D.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 2820 times

This uses a couple of short radius set track points in the goods sidings.

Tim J Taylor

Postby Tim J Taylor » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Appreciated.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”