St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Many thanks for the replies.
After some consideration I decicded not to model anything in the lower half of the signal box.
Instead I made a card former for the lower half to block any view inside of the wiring that will carry power up to signal box cabin.
Although, as Parkend rightly put, it is a plastic kit so not scratch building the actual signal box itself, but I have scratch built the interior using a combination of wooden drinks stirrers, card, bits cut off the end of the sprues for the bells (painted using a gold pen), some of the thinner foam board I have and some cat5 cable for the point levers and painted them black,red,blue and yellow (roughly to St Blazey's plan).
I have not finished the signal box yet. Making the stairs is a daunting prospect, and I have only just received more LED's and wire today.
Also more items were dellvered today so the "I dont have a layout yet but im still modelling" continues :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 pm

End2end wrote:---------------------------- Making the stairs is a daunting prospect --------------------------

I used these for my fire escape - the difference between the pitch of the stair treads and 1:148 was negligible.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1308_1_12868.html

They come in OO too.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1308_1_12869.html

There are matching handrails too.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1308_1_12875.html

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Ahh it's actually part of the RATIO kit Parkend.
But all treads are seperate pieces..not sure yet how I will keep them square so the treads in between the first and last just slot in.
The adventure continues
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm

End2end wrote:Ahh it's actually part of the RATIO kit Parkend.
But all treads are seperate pieces..not sure yet how I will keep them square so the treads in between the first and last just slot in.
The adventure continues
Thanks
End2end

That's what put me off kits - stupid tiny parts. With scratch building you chose your level of detail and use Evergreen or Plastruct sections to take the frustrating work out of it when the fiddly bits can't be left off. Ratio could have moulded the stairs in one piece.

Ratio's crowning challenge in N gauge is a fire devil to go with a water crane. The boiler part is made of 9 pieces which are supposed to glue together to make an assembly smaller than a ladybird.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 am

ParkeNd wrote:That's what put me off kits - stupid tiny parts. With scratch building you chose your level of detail and use Evergreen or Plastruct sections to take the frustrating work out of it when the fiddly bits can't be left off. Ratio could have moulded the stairs in one piece.

Ratio's crowning challenge in N gauge is a fire devil to go with a water crane. The boiler part is made of 9 pieces which are supposed to glue together to make an assembly smaller than a ladybird.

Excellent point Parkend :!: . I had never thought of it from that point of view.
As for something the size of a ladybird....i'll leave that to the pros :o

I will be sort of starting to scratchbuild shortly, as this week I have ordered my plaster for my Linka building. :)
I already have sum plans and ideas of what I want to build, including a 3 foot (ish) long retaining wall with a ramp using one of the new moulds available once purchased.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:59 pm

I have been considering the lighting circuits wiring for St Blazey's, including an ON/OFF switch with LED on the control panel and am now ready to get the soldering iron out I think.
I have created a rough diagram but not 100% on the wiring.
Does this look correct including the wire diameters :?:
ST Blazeys Layout Lighting Schemesm.JPG
ST Blazeys Layout Lighting Schemesm.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

Each LED including the panel mounted one(s) will have a 1K Ohm resisitor attached just to err on the side of caution.

I'm currently awaiting some more yellow LED's for the control panel and buildings, so thought i'd get on with something else while I wait :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:36 am

Just a quick bump to ask if my wiring diagram looks correct before I commence soldering.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:31 am

It was so much easier when all we did is finger paint on the cave walls. :roll:
Decorating has been the flavour of the month so unfortunatly the layout has taken a bit of a back seat of late.
Some things that have been done are, wiring up some red LED's into buffer stops, internal furniture in the signal box, and a couple of linka buildings, a 2 floor terrace of 2 houses and 1 floor cottage, not to any plan as such, both half built with more tiles to make for completion.
So at least something.
A fleabay purchase of a used airfix GWR autocoach and a used lima GWR horse box from an out of the blue shop found from taking a flyer from a man in the street in Rochester :lol:
I'll get to taking some photo's shortly :)
But for now i'll take my leave Ladies and enginemen.
Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year with many thanks for all the enjoyable forum information, pictures, links and everything that makes this forum a most excellent place that I enjoy.
Thanks
End2end
(p.s. hope that fat man in the red suit deems it fit to put the right scale nice boxes under your trees) :D
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 am

As promised some photo's.
The Airfix GWR Autocoach. A couple of the bars underneath are broken but for £4.80 including p&p I can't complain :)
GWR Autocoach2.JPG
GWR Autocoach2.JPG (24.87 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

The Lima Horse Box from Rochester Model's on a surprise visit
Lima Horsebox.JPG
Lima Horsebox.JPG (32.01 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

A couple of shots of the scratch built signal box interior.
Signal Box6.JPG
Signal Box6.JPG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Signal Box7.JPG
Signal Box7.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
The collection is growing.
Wagons7sm.JPG
Wagons7sm.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

More pictures to follow
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:29 am

And some experiments with Linka not to any plan as such.
First a semi-detatched terrace type building with a lean-to at the back.
The beginning 2 walls coming together
LinkaTerraceFront1.JPG
LinkaTerraceFront1.JPG (48.53 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Reaching the first floor - Front
LinkaTerrace1.JPG
LinkaTerrace1.JPG (27.33 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Rear
LinkaTerrace2.JPG
LinkaTerrace2.JPG (26.95 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

I found some grey undercoat at the £ shop so I thought i'd give it a try. At first it seemed too dark but I think it will do.
Primer.JPG
Primer.JPG (32.86 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

More to follow.....
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 am

And finally.....
A Linka single floor cottage, again not to any plan as such.
Front elevation
LinkaCottageFront2.JPG
LinkaCottageFront2.JPG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Rear elevation
LinkaCottageRear.JPG
LinkaCottageRear.JPG (31.62 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

On the terrace building I have made a short roof with large roof windows for the lean-to and have also made a longer one for the main roof.
I'm still undecided on wether or not to also add smaller roof windows to the main roofs other side but these decisions can be implemented during the build as is the flexability of simple Linka buildings.
The amount of windows I have needed has caused a bit of a slow production line as all three styles of brick windows are not replicated on any mould so I can only set 1 each of the 3 types on each making cycle, when I need multiples of the same window type.
Plus some tiles still don't come out as expected with the odd bubble here and there and the "oops.....broke it" happening now and again when trying to remove them from the moulds.
So I have a few projects on the go all at the same time and not getting anywhere fast, but I am enjoying it and that's what counts. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:50 am

They look great - the brickwork/stonework is particularly impressive.

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:04 am

The Linka stuff looks fascinating and fun - and the results are very good. Nice one!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 am

Your signal box interior looks very good. Nice attention to detail.

Merry Christmas. :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Oh nearly a month with no updates. How embarrasing. :oops:
Thanks for all your kind remarks and progress is being made. Still waiting on the last of the wood for the baseboard (luckily i'm a patient man lol).
But I haven't been sitting on my hands you'll be glad to hear. Along with enjoying the forum, some purchases have been made and some modelling done.
Firstly the purchases.
A new Bachmann Class 105 DMU £84.99
A weathered Bachmann 3F Jinty and 2 weathered covered china clay wagons from a valued forum member £50
A set of GWR BUMPER VALUE SELF ADHESIVE SIGNS & POSTERS PACK £2.98
The MODELLING THE GWR book by Chris Ellis £2.80 (An excellent book which even includes the SLIP COACHES being discussed on the forum presently and a picture of sidings taken over by the GWR after post - grouping that can take 55,000... YES fifty five thousand :o private owner wagons. What an impressive model that would be.)
A 3x AAA battery holder with switch 99p
Ratio 513 Provender goods store from a toy/train fair £5
Ratio 525 Coal / builders merchants kit from the same fair £5

And now the modelling
I spray painted the LINKA terrace and cottage grey with some auto primer, both inside and out to block any light leakage (my usual M.O. for buildings), then proceeded to paint the whole terrace model with a creamy white wash (from a tester pot) to fill in the brick courses. The cottage, I just painted with the tester pot without thinning it, and will now be called CREAM COTTAGE (as the colour looks like clotted cream mmmmm lol).
I tried to mix a reddish colour for the terrace but just could not mix it to the shade I wanted. So I mixed some more which was closer but still too brown although I did use this.
Then an idea struck me :idea: ....If I want the red brick colour why not use the original?
So I went outside and wire brushed some of the bricks on the side of the house to get some power residue. :D
I had to crush it down somewhat and then mixed it with water to thin it down to a wash.
I am still adding the thin washes over and over again to slowly build up the colour, as with too much it just fills in the brick course. Not ideal.
I have had the idea that once happy with the main look, I will do another whitish grey wash to fill back in the courses just to make them stand out a bit more and then if needed weather it down a little more.
Pictures to follow.

As the old saying goes "Are we having fun yet?" , we certainly are :D
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”