St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout

Postby End2end » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:52 am

Time for a small update for St. Blazey's.....
Managed to buy a pack of 110 meters of 16/0.2 wire for the point motors (10 meters of 11 different colours), so spent most of the day stripping, tinning and soldering all 18 point motors after tweaking the colour coding for the wiring for St. Blazey's.
Here's the new layout colour scheme excluding the Blue/Yellow 16/0.2 for the lighting bus :-
ST Blazeys Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG
ST Blazeys Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG (50.51 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

And the full colour scheme for the whole layout:-
ST Blazeys FULL Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG
ST Blazeys FULL Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

108 wires measured and cut.......216 trims of outer sheath ....... 108 tins of ends of cables.......... phew!!
point wires 1.JPG
point wires 1.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

And then..... soldering 6 wires per point with the finished articles
point wires 2.JPG
point wires 2.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

Still awaiting the baseboard new sized materials so getting as much done as possible as I can.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:02 am

Also, a question.....
I have been given a fair amount of this stuff but am not sure what it is and what it could be used for.
Can anyone enlighten me please?
FOAMBOARD 1sm.JPG
FOAMBOARD 1sm.JPG (19.98 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

FOAMBOARD 2sm.JPG
FOAMBOARD 2sm.JPG (21.45 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

Please excuse the pictures titles..as I was not sure what to call them.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:56 am

Hi

Foam board is a great material for scratchbuilding. You can use it to produce a basic carcass to clad in plastic card, or I prefer to use it neat as you can emboss the surface or plaster it to give texture etc, some examples below:

I embossed all the planking

and in the hands of a master:

I find it comes in different qualities, there's a really cheap version that's more commonly used for signs and stuff (full size not models!) which has very inconsistent foam density, or there's more expensive modelling grade that has 100% consistent foam density so cuts well and accurately and doesn't have gaps in the foam. I've noticed it's used a lot on the continent (you see it in French magazines a lot, translates as 'carton plume').

I use UHU mostly to glue it, but you can use normal solvent based glue, though it can melt through the foam on occassion... you can also glue card and plastic-card to it for extra details, it's quite universal. Have a play and see what you can do with it. Undercoat it with grey car primer.

On a narrow gauge forum, I've even seen lightweight base boards constructed from it.

Regards

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 am

Pete wrote:I find it comes in different qualities, there's a really cheap version that's more commonly used for signs and stuff (full size not models!) which has very inconsistent foam density, or there's more expensive modelling grade that has 100% consistent foam density.
I use UHU mostly to glue it, but you can use normal solvent based glue, though it can melt through the foam on occassion... you can also glue card and plastic-card to it for extra details, it's quite universal. Have a play and see what you can do with it. Undercoat it with grey car primer.

Thanks for the reply and the help Pete.
I would assume it is the latter, more expensive modelling grade as it came from a film studios art department, albeit there are 2 differnet thicknesses as shown in the photos.
And that's excellent, I do have a tube of UHU.
I've been looking online for some free OO scale drawings I could try to work from but to no avail.
Does anyone know where free OO plans can be obtained?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Well it's been a month to the day since my last update, but not much to tell really.
I have now purchased everything I need for the layout to commence building (I hope??), but I am now awaiting the baseboard materials themselves.
So now...any spare cash can go on the nice things rather than the boring yet "must have items" like point motors, wire, switches and the ilk.

With that in mind I have purchased the Ratio Trackside GWR signal box which I am looking forward to building, a few more cars, some more 4-wheeled cream and brown coaches, and have 2 train fairs under my belt. One of which was at Brighton racecourse, right next to a boot sale....double whammy :D

So although not much building, more spending and ideas have been the focus of the month. And of course enjoying this great forum :D

That's all for now.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:35 pm

In September you asked about 'Free Plans'
Free plans of what ?, yes we know it's '00' 4 mm, but pub, houses,
works unit ???????

I say that because I do drawing for my buildings and When/If I find the storage
envelope again they can be copied. However mine are based on laminated skins
of plasticard sheets.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for your reply Dad-1.
Ahh yes the plans.
Well I would like to start on an easy project maybe a house or cottage, but to be honest, I'm not really sure what would be a beginners easy project to cut me teeth on as it were. Maybe your good self or another member could adivse on what would be a good "to scale" beginner project.
I have no skills in re-scaling and wouldn't know where to start, so can only...at the moment, work to a given plan.

I do have a linka set but the powder is well past it's best, so I will be trying with the linka but not until I can get some Herculite XL, which, although it's in the mind to buy, it's not on the immediate purchase list.
So in the meantime I would like to play around with the foamboard and card I have.

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 pm

How about a little platform shelter as a first scratch built kit?

My attempt at guttering genuinely doesn't look that wonky at all, cruel camera. That was the first scratch built building I made, reasonably simple, four sides, a big gap in the front, two windows either side. Geoff makes paper plans of his buildinngs to file away, I make google sketchup drawings - a sign of the times!

I didn't bother much with a drawing for the shelter, but here's a comparison of a bridge I made and the sketchup drawing acompanying:

If you give me something to work with, I wouldn't be averse to drawing up a google sketchup drawing for you, then I could email it to you. Once you get it you just use the tape measure tool to measure the dimensions. Works well for me. I could probably transfer it onto paper if you prefer, but that's Geoff's area, if I did it it would still be CAD of some description!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:57 pm

My problem E2E is that I don't work in foamboard. Probably too old & set in my ways.
I have tried and my problem was not managing to get true square cuts through the stuff,
it was always at a slight angle even using new scalpel blades so about as sharp a knife
as you can get. Windows were also a problem for the same reason and the depth on 5 mm
that I have, was excessive for recessed windows. I've used it just for floors where the extra
thickness gives a realistic depth from ceiling to floor above.

The really easy thing to start with is a standard 6 x 8 garden shed. In the scenery section
a thread on scratch building has the shed details I think on page 1. Don't let Bushy Troughs
concern you, the guy was being an idiot and obviously didn't have an English shed !!
I did send a pre-marked piece of 0.75 mm plasticard to skyblue as he was struggling a bit
and he made a super little shed. I could do the same for you. skyble said the little note I
sent with it also helped.

In truth it's mostly confidence, or lack of. You mustn't be afraid of one going wrong, it's
probably the best way to learn !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Many thanks for your replies Flying scotsman123 and Dad-1 and to both of you for your generousity.
I would love to take you both up on your offers if I may be so bold. :D

@flying scotsman 123
After some thought, I think along with Dad-1's kind offer I would like to keep it simple but something that I can easily make and add to the layout at OO scale.
My possible ideas for a small building are:- coal staithes, small cattle dock, workmans hut of some description, small bungalow, avairy/pigeon loft, kennel or some sort of lean to/out house. I think anything beyond that is beyond me at the moment.

Also a tip of the hat to your CAD skills. Great stuff ! :) Something i'd like to get into but just don't have the time at the moment.

@Dad-1
Dad-1 wrote:I did send a pre-marked piece of 0.75 mm plasticard to skyblue as he was struggling a bit
and he made a super little shed. I could do the same for you. skyble said the little note I
sent with it also helped.

Yes please Dad-1 !! That would get me started on my scratch building immediatly with your tried and trusted methods.
I will pm you my address, if you could just let me know how much with postage you'd like for it.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Many thanks Dad-1. I recieved the plasticard shed today.
Unfortunatly I have been hit by the flu bug and the last 2 new scalpel blades I have snapped whilst building my Ratio GWR Signal box kit.
I'm still figuring out which knife/blade for what, but have ordered some more No.11's already so hopefully they won't take long to arrive.

In the meantime, as already mentioned, I've started my Ratio GWR Signal box. Lots of whittling and fettling to get it to come together nicely and being that this kit is of the older designed box, i think the instructions are, shall we say, not upto Airfix standards.
But with that said I have managed to plough on with it and have completed the lower floor brick part and the cabin side walls with all thier accompanying window frames.

This led me to a question.
The lower brick built part of the signal box (like most i've seen) has the usual arched windows, but what is contained in these "rooms".
Obviously there must be linkages for points and point rodding etc, but for the life of me (and google images) I cannot find ANY photo's of inside one of these lower floors. Does anyone have such a picture or pictures as it seems a shame not to add something inside the lower floor of my model. And would there have been some sort of lighting inside?

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:50 pm

I have no idea what it looks like in the locking, functuional bit underneath.
A bit like a lady driver - Do I need to know what's happening ? OR just
understand that there's something in there that functions as required ??

As Far as I'm aware these were usually locked & had no lighting on unless
some serious work was being undertaken by a team of engineers. Perhaps
one of our railway professional will enlighten us. In short I wouldn't bother,
at the very best dirty up the insides of the windows so you can't look in !!

Yep, breaking those lighter blades is an occupational hazard that's why I
do most work using a No.4 handle & stronger blade.

Geoff T.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:59 pm

I have started on my Ratio GWR signal box so thought I would share some pictures.
I looked around for signal box interior kits but only found metal kits available that were really any good.
So I thought i'd have a go at making them myself with the hardest part being the point levers.
I added the St. Blazey's front point work diagram to the rear wall using paper and biro freehand. That's the reason it looks "artistic" :shock: :lol:

I made up a base of thick card topped with some fast food stirrer sticks. Then added matchsticks to create a trought to sit the levers in.
The levers were made using thick card which I drilled into to pass through some wire recovered from some CAT5 network cable with solid core.
This was then glued into the trough.
They are not painted or move into final position yet but you should see from the pictures the idea.
Signal Box1.JPG
Signal Box1.JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Signal Box2.JPG
Signal Box2.JPG (27.76 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Signal Box3.JPG
Signal Box3.JPG (27.7 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Signal Box4.JPG
Signal Box4.JPG (27.44 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Signal Box5.JPG
Signal Box5.JPG (24.06 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

I have painted the interior with a colour very similar to the outside using my usual tester pot to stop light leakage, instead of my usual - "Paint it black then paint it a colour" system - I hope this works?
I even used my PIN VICE tool for the very first time, drilling a small hole in the lapped boarding on the side above the entrance door ready for a lamp to be fitted when I can find one to buy.
I looked on NRW for some sort of inspiration for the signal box interior and lo and behold Mike "Wordsworth"'s Argyle signal box has exactly what I need. A desk and a nice chimney stack with clock and fireplace. They are being printed today as I do not own a printer. and THEY as I made sure to get more than 1 copy for any mistakes.
I still have yet to source an OO armchair though.
I must admit Mike does make the interior look really good on his layout ! :)

I have also started to do some painting and fettling of buffer stops.
From somewhere I read a while back, it stated "for the Hornby buffer stops to use 3mm LED's".
I found these to be far too big so will be looking to purchase some 1.8 / 2mm ones to fit in the holes I have already drilled into the buffer stops.
Apart from that I am still buying a few things like new tools and more scalpel blades.
The progress continues........
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 am

End2end wrote:This led me to a question.
The lower brick built part of the signal box (like most i've seen) has the usual arched windows, but what is contained in these "rooms".
Obviously there must be linkages for points and point rodding etc, but for the life of me (and google images) I cannot find ANY photo's of inside one of these lower floors. Does anyone have such a picture or pictures as it seems a shame not to add something inside the lower floor of my model. And would there have been some sort of lighting inside?

Morning E2E,
I've found this view plus the next in the sequence that may be of use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_fram ... dge012.JPG

At a talk on the Bluebell Railway, there was a photo of the interlocking frame that showed vertical rods in a row, being the linkages to the levers in the box above. These were between the ceiling and the interlocking frame beneath. There is also an 'exploded view' of a signal box in one of the three special issues of 'The Southern Way' that deal with the Second World War; this photo shows a signal box that was bombed - the twisted remains of the linkages are clearly exposed. Unfortunately, having recently moved, my railway books are still packed and I can't say in which volume the photo' appears, nor the page number, perhaps someone else may know?

I like your work so far too.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:55 am

Have just found and read through your thread. Very impressive that you are going to tackle some scratch building. Although I have never tried foam board I have picked up on a couple of things you have said and wanted to make the following comments.

1. Scratch building is more like card kits than Ratio plastic kits. The joining techniques are what separates the two.

2. In scratch building you can pick your level of detail rather than some of the silly small parts kits often use. Easier.

3. The drawings don't need to be masterpieces. They just need to hold the key dimensions and shape of the basic pieces.

4. The Swann Morton retractable blade holder is both safer and easier on finger pressure than the fixed holders.

5. Genuine .020 Slaters textured Plastikard is great for cladding. It is soft, flexible, and very easy to cut. Cheap stuff is not.

6. The example foam cottage could have been made with fronts and rears each in one piece - avoids that unsightly joint.

7. Don't have any fears about what you can achieve. Just go for it - you will surprise yourself.

8. Take your time. One building may take more than 70 hours. The speed built jobbies can look like nightmares of poor quality with different size window apertures, badly fitting roofs, and higgely piggely alignment of window ledges.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”