St. Blazey's - My first layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:54 pm

And now the modelling pictures.
Linka "Cream Cottage"
LinkaCottage painting1sm.JPG
LinkaCottage painting1sm.JPG (40.38 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

Linka Terrace first layers
LinkaTerrace Painting1sm.JPG
LinkaTerrace Painting1sm.JPG (31.34 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
LinkaTerrace Painting2sm.JPG
LinkaTerrace Painting2sm.JPG (38.66 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

Linka terrace after many washes but still not red enough
LinkaTerrace Painting3sm.JPG
LinkaTerrace Painting3sm.JPG (30.64 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
LinkaTerrace Painting5sm.JPG
LinkaTerrace Painting5sm.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

I also made up some test tiles for trying out some experiments
Test Peices1.JPG
Test Peices1.JPG (24.96 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Test Peices2.JPG
Test Peices2.JPG (31.5 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

And some of the purchase pictures.
The DMU in it's classy Bachmann box
bachmann DMU.JPG
bachmann DMU.JPG (10.44 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

The sign pack. (very good value imo and available in all sorts of compaines types GWR / LNER / BR and more both in N and OO)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161535768022? ... EBIDX%3AIT (No affiliation)
hobby-tec signs SM.JPG
hobby-tec signs SM.JPG (22.36 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

The MODELLING THE GWR book
modelling the GWR.JPG
modelling the GWR.JPG (16.35 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

I did not take pictures of the Jinty or the covered coal wagons.
Well I think those posts would constitute an update :) The journey continues.......
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 pm

A month has flown by so time for a small update as nothing much has happened apart from a lot of gathering of more information before committing to laying track.
I have been working on my Linka buildings still, trying different techniques but found the brick dust to not be very effective in the end. Luckily a pal was doing a loft conversion adding a velux window so he had to grind some of the red roof tiles. This as you can imagine caused quite a bit of red dust which he collected up for me and this has worked surprisingly well as a painting medium with the colour I wanted for the walls. I have also made each roof removable to add the interiors and lighting, strengthening the roof with extra triangular and "L" shaped linka pieces.
Front view
Both 1sm.JPG
Both 1sm.JPG (46.97 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Front view with roof's removed
Both 2sm.JPG
Both 2sm.JPG (48.66 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Rear view
Both 3sm.JPG
Both 3sm.JPG (41.51 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Rear view with roof's removed
Both 4sm.JPG
Both 4sm.JPG (48.32 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

I also now have the wood for the layout and I am just waiting on my joiner to have the time to come to build it, under the premise..."do it once, do it properly"
I have been looking at the model shops near me as my most local one is not very good with no pre-owned section and hope to be visiting at least 1 in the coming month.
And finally 1 purchase of the month... a Hornby Great Western 0-6-0 pannier tank loco DCC fitted from the honourable member Trainsandco.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Looks like your friend's Velux windows have caught on. Good progress with the Linka. I remember it from my childhood but never had it myself. :(

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:11 am

I love the Linka work - first rate. And much admire your careful and painstaking planning - more patience than I, which will no doubt pay dividends over time!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks for your kind and motivating comments chaps :)
Yes indeed patience, research, a little thought and trying things out on scrap pieces really does pay off.
Full steam ahead !! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 am

Bit of a mid-March update for St Blazey's
Although no movement on the layout as of yet due to a drawn out studio upgrade there has been a couple of recent purchases.
I found out, albeit not advertised as such, Bachmann make a china clay wagon without hood (33-079) in thier normal blue riband range that has ST BLAZEY written on the side.
These were even advertised in the 2004 catalogue which I have and continued at least until 2014 (and hopefully continue so I can buy more :) )
Very pleased to find these as I thought the only wagons with St. Blazey written on them were exclusive Kernow commissioned models of which I have 2 vans. :D

Next up is the Bachmann E-Z Companion controller.
Funny story, as I stumbled across this purchase.
I was bidding on a GWR 0-4-0 with two 4-wheel GWR coaches and was out big in the dying seconds by 20p.
Frustrated I searched around ebay once more and found an E-Z companion, but as usual checked the price against other retailers and found it at Hattons for £41 + £4 p&p second hand stating RRP as around £70. Another quick search there came up with a new one for £49 + £4 p&p.... Well it was a no-brainer.
Bought it there and then from Hattons, brand new and boxed. Again VERY please :D

I have also managed to visit both my local model shop (Scale Rail) and one a little further afield (The Hobby Box).
I only went to look in my local one whilst in town but I found two of the china clay wagons with St. Blazey's written on them that I mentioned before so the flexbile friend seemed to worm it's way out of my wallet and end up on the counter paying for both the wagons :lol:

At The hobby box it's quite a cramped shop but full to the brim with allsorts.
I bought a pot of Railmatch 2406 sleeper grime for painting the tracks. Unfortunatly they didn't have the red roofed Oxford A30 I wanted in stock and it's too far to go to bother ordering it.

Iv'e also continued painting the linka models roof's, adding random light green and orange to represent lichen.
Now out of budget so the finishing touches will have to wait.

I have also been working on the control panel design trying to get the correct size that I want, with room for all the train detectors, point LED's and switches.
It's been a headache but I think im finally getting close to the correct plan.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I saw the Bachman EZ companion at Hattons and wondered about getting one for dad. I be interested to hear how you get on with it.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm

JohnN wrote:I saw the Bachman EZ companion at Hattons and wondered about getting one for dad. I be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Although no layout exists yet, I did set up some straight track and test out the companion and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
It picks up control of locos from the main controller easily and I was controlleing 2 loco's with it instead of the main controller.
So I think it's a thumbs up from me :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Oops...
Fell into the model shop yesterday and bought another wagon
A Bachmann 33-083 for £8.40
I was after the one that says on it "Return to Fowey (pronouced FOY)" but they didn't have it :roll:
But that's another to the collection :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:48 am

Recently I have been thinking about the "back-story" or "why" of my fictional layout.
I needed to have a reason for St Blazey's and the weird terminated trackplan.
Formed with some creative license here's the result........

St Blazeys Map.jpg
St Blazeys Map.jpg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

St Blazey's History
St Blazey's was originally built in 1865 on the Cornwall Minerals Railway as a repair, staging and sorting post for freight traffic from the China Clay and tin mining region around St Austel onto Par Habour for transportation via ship.
The station was built adjacent to the railway's workshops which serviced both the private owner wagons of the various clay pit and tin mine companies and the Loco's used on the line.

By 1873 the follwing stations / halts were built on the freight-only line.
Roche
Molinnis
Bugle (Junction to Carbis Wharf Mine)
Bridges
Colcerrow
St Blazey's - Terminates.....(Freight sorted for Par Harbour)

The line Joined together as part of the Cornwall Minerals Tramway in 1876 and a passenger service was opened on 20 June 1876 from St Blazey's to Newquay (freight continuing on the line to Newquay Harbour), completing the link between the North (Atlantic Ocean) and South (English Channel) coasts.

The Cornwall Minerals Railway was taken over and operated by the Great Western Railway from October 1877.

On 1 January 1879 a loop line was built from St Blazey's connecting the line to a new station at Par on the main GWR Penzance to London line and a branch connecting directly to Fowey and Golant dock stations on the river Fowey, continuing on to terminate at the mainline connected, Lostwithiel station.
This saw a major increase in traffic at St Blazey's as the station and yard could now be used to stage and sort freight for both Par, Fowey and Golant docks ready for loading and shipping, and also take increased passenger traffic from both the new Par and Loswithiel main line connected routes.

By 1912 the line had increased in size with the following stations / halts.
St Blazey's - Terminus.....(Freight sorted for Par Harbour)
Luxulyan (formally Bridges)
Bugle
Roche
Holywell
St Columb Road
Quintrill Downs
Newquay (for Newquay Harbour)

Par Route - St Blazey's - Par (Junction with GWR main Penzance to London line)

Lostwithiel route - St Blazey's - Fowey - Golant - Lostwithiel (Junction with GWR main Penzance to London line)

St Blazey's Today
St Blazey's station has stayed open to the public since the inception of the passenger service having been saved from Dr. Beeching's axe in 1963 by reducing the number of daily passenger services on the line and increasing freight traffic.
Although a reduced service is still provided by modern Great Western branchline trains and DMU's from Newquay, Par and Lostwitheil, local enthusiasts joined together in the 1980's to form the St Blazey's Heritage Railway Trust.
Breathing new life into the line, the Heritage Trust maintains a daily timetable between St Blazey's and Newquay with vintage Loco's and coaches for local commuters, holiday makers and train lover's alike.
St Blazey's has also continued to be used for freight and railway repairs, and goods can still be seen being loaded into wagons in the yard, which is otherwise used for sorting wagons from the local vicinty and the adjacent marshalling yard at Par docks.

St Blazey's does not have a permanent allocation of locomotives but many are out-based here for use on local freight services.
Types that have been in regular use from the depot since the 1980s have been:
Class 08 Shunter
Class 09 Shunter
Class 37
Class 66
The yard and sheds have also been used to store several DMUs overnight for Wessex Trains and First Great Western for many years. This means that several morning services start at St Blazey's railway station and evening ones terminate there.

Hopefully this will help me place the layout "idea" in the proposed, albeit manipulated/creative licenesed, area.
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:29 pm

A small "start of the month" update for St. Blazey's.
A few more wagons have been purchased over the last 2 weeks to add to the collection. :D
More Rolling stocksm.JPG
More Rolling stocksm.JPG (55.83 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

The middle ones "Arenig Granite" and "Stoneycombe" purchased today.
The collection is growing nicely, it's just a shame that my local model shop has such a limited range, although speaking with the owner today, they are considering stocking Dapol wagons so hopefully they will have a wider range soon.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Small update to St Blazey's....
Recently I have been making and adding loads to my wagon fleet. I am upto 14 so far of varying makes and models but all have been coal so far which I thought I had finished but after a little research on the remaining wagons I own yet to receive loads, I found I still have 2 coal wagons to do.
I made them simply using thin rigid balsa wood sheeting and either thicker balsa wood or drinks stirrers (depending on the depth of the wagon) for 2 feet then painted them black. Thanks goes to Bigmet for telling me how !! :D
To distinguish between the loads and which wagon they are for I am opting to use these...
Self Adhesive Wire Markers Code: SJ19V from Maplin which I have used in many studios for wire identification. I will paint PVA over them to give an additional fix to make sure they stay stuck.
Today I had a play with some white fish tank stones I have.
Firstly sorting some of the larger, albeit small stones and then some medium sized, and then lightly crushing some into smaller stones and finally some that I crushed severely, givng me 4 different stones sizes. The 2 crushed sizes I think will suffice for the china clay and lime wagons. I had to wash the stones each time because that do give off a stink :lol:
Now having a period of "drying" for both the cleaned stones and the already loaded wagons and I have made the "underboards" for the remaining wagons out of balsa already.
What I didn't do on the last round was paint the balsa with PVA BEFORE adding the loadstuff on top, opting for using a pipette with the glue/water mix after spraying with water/washing-up liquid mix. It took quite a lot of glue mix as I may have had the mix slightly too watery :? so I gave them all 2 lots just to be sure.
Pulled one of the loads out today and underneath is still wet so stuck that one in the airing cupboard to dry and chose to then stick all the wagons in there to help dry.
Once all the wagons have thier loads I will take some pictures.
Also I visited a toy and train fair at Brighton racecourse where I bought 4 GW wagons, 2 Bannock Burn wagons, another wagon, I forget which, and a Bachmann GWR Collett composite coach with shirtbutton livery. A very nice model indeed :)
That's it for now.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:40 pm

I have now finished the wagon loads. I had to touch up a little here and there using neat PVA and a couple of small bits of coal / gravel etc.
Stupidly before they were dry I turned over one of the coal wagons and the PVA/water mix came running out in a grey colour and spilt over the lime and one of the mineral loads turning them somewhat grey. This was fixed with a little white paint for the lime wagon and I brushed on neat PVA on the mineral load and just rolled it in the mineral scatter to recover it. Looks good now though so I think I got away with it.
Now for the pictures.
1.JPG
1.JPG (41.3 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (40.89 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

3.JPG
3.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

4.JPG
4.JPG (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

The loads in the 4 wagons at the front have not been glued as a member told me China clay wagons, if loaded, would be covered so I have left those for now, just tipping in the loose load to see how they look but 3 of them have "load tables" for them made out of balsa (excluding the wagon with the wood load).
These took around a week to make including 3 days drying time.
All wagons are now safely back in thier boxes (those that have them that is) until the layout is ready.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:08 pm

They look really good End2end. I know I've read it before but it has just struck me that you have no layout to place all this great work on. Does that not frustrate you sometimes? I'd be itching to hook these wagons up in to a long train and see them running.

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”