And ANOTHER Small Plan!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
whynot

And ANOTHER Small Plan!

Postby whynot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Seem to have spent hours and days planning....WHAT can I get in 72" x 18"? Latest "plan" incorporates a little bit of 009 just to give depth.

I know it eats up a lot of space, but I sort of need a run round however short.

Any comments welcome!

Plan on using 2 x locolifts at the left. Can operate as an inglenook.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Kentishman

Re: And ANOTHER Small Plan!

Postby Kentishman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello Whynot,
would you clarify what sort of layout you are considering: steam or Diesel, loco's plus carriages or DMUs / EMUs, how many carriages maximum, longest loco you envisage using and whether your 72" includes any fiddle yard space? I assume that as the feeder line behind is OO9, the main section is OO?
Regards
Kentishman

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:02 pm

All good questions! To which - for once - I have answers!

72" includes the 24" left side which will provide head shunt running the 3 sidings as an Inglenook (altho' over-length for 5-3-3) and the fiddle yard with locolifts (cassettes more difficult to make!). Locos will be 0 4 0 Pugs (of which I have three), a Jinty and a J94 Austerity. All these are excellent runners with electrofrogs. I also have a Crab, which will just fit in the loco release head at the platform!

While I have 3 Ratio 4 wheelers, will mainly be for SWB goods stock.

I have yet to buy narrow gauge stock - probably be H0e, much cheaper RTR than 009. And yes, just the single line, one siding, to the rear.

Probably little operational potential, but I mainly enjoy just building them!

Thanks for the interest.

dave j
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello Dave J,
your plan looks ideal for the tank locos and 4 wheel carriages, which I am guessing are about 4.5" long. I think that your limiting factor will be the 24" available on the fiddle side. If the Crab with tender is a maximum of 10", then with the 3 four wheelers you'd be looking at an overall length of 23.5" plus coupling hooks at each end, so you should just do it. On the station side, it wouldn't matter if the Crab exceeded the head shunt length, provided that you make the headshunt an isolating section. You could then bring the train into the station, kill the power to the headshunt, and use one of the tanks as a station pilot to come out from a siding and couple to the rear of the train. You would then uncouple from the Crab and withdraw the carriages to one of the left hand sidings / fiddleyard. Return power to the headshunt and withdraw the Crab to the other of the left hand sidings (on the pretext of taking on coal, water and being turned) then use the station pilot to push the carriages back into the platform. Uncouple station pilot and withdraw, then reverse the Crab onto the carriages to await departure. It's a manoeuvre I enjoy doing on my own layout and enables me to run three coach trains although my runaround will only accommodate two carriages.

With the passenger service and the shunting puzzle, I'm sure you'll find enough to keep you entertained for a while. Good luck with it,
Regards
Kentishman

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks!

As you say, attempting to make 72" self contained the "..... limiting factor will be the 24" available on the fiddle side." I could and might cheat a little by bolting on a narrower 18" extension!

I hadn't thought of using the Crab for more than the occasional visit, running light with just a brake van. It's too big for anything I've built, but it was a present from the wife (so can't just be sold on!) and is a lovely factory weathered model.

I first drew the plan with no run round, relying on isolated sections for loco release. Just that even a minimum facility allows "better" shunting I think.

Very helpful comments - thanks again.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 am

Ahhh Dave,

I think you hit on it when you said you enjoy making them .......
That to me is the pleasure of making small, sort of working
dioramas. Don't take too long to do, reasonably low cost, well
it is when you've already got the required stock. Also a place to
just experiment with materials & design concepts.

All power to your elbow ....... as some may say !!

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks, Geoff. As you say, "Don't take too long to do..." - well, maybe not once one has actually decided WHAT to do!

I'm not one for NY Resolutions - too cliched for my good taste - but let's just say "I will start a new layout ....soon!"

It will help if I don't spend so much of 2014 at Queens Med Eye Wards and Clinics as I have done in 2013!

Task 1. Clear understairs cupboard so that I can keep modelling "stuff" at least out of sight.

Task 2. Ain't thought that far yet!

Happy New Year to All.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 am

I do of course have OTHER plans! Simple standard gauge, this one would have a small loco shed at rear, with a connection between the front and the rear tracks. Could still operate as an Inglenook (which I quite enjoy).

No run round though.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 am

Or ....just a 'Nook but with an upper level to give more "space".

I' ll stop now, honest!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”