London-Flat-Friendly Mini-Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Harringay Dave

London-Flat-Friendly Mini-Layout

Postby Harringay Dave » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Hey,

Just registered as I've rediscovered some interest in modelling. I've got quite a bit of Hornby stuff from childhood and a brief flirt with a small layout about five years ago - so I'm set for stuff - it's just finding the space to run it on!

Trouble is, I live in a little 1 bedroom flat in North London - space is hardly plentiful. I had a massive shoe box that I got with some walking boots (340 x 300 mm!), and I had planned to turn that into a little branch terminus station. I've now come to the conclusion this is a bit too flimsy, even after shoring it up with parcel tape on all edges.

I'm probably going to get some timber sorted to replicate what I've done with the shoebox thus far. This means I can also add some space to the layout too. I've gone for 530 x 400.

The single line will run in against the back wall, with a platform. As I'm originally from Stourbridge, I plan to add a bit of a grand building for such a station, as used to exist at Stourbridge Town.

But other than that, I'm not sure what to do with the space. I was aiming at a 1920s feel, so a station approach would be good...

Plan attached. We will see what comes of it.
Attachments
shoe in.png
shoe in.png (15.07 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

Lofty

Re: London-Flat-Friendly Mini-Layout

Postby Lofty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Welcome aboard Dave, there are plenty of cracking micro layouts about, and once you get one built they become addictive.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Take a look here http://www.carendt.com. A lot of the designs are narrow gauge but it shows what you can get in a small space.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello Dave,

Firstly welcome to the forum and also welcome back to railway modelling.

Just a thought - but have you considered N gauge?
I know you have some legacy stuff from childhood, but before you get completely stuck in it may be worth looking at what other options are available for modelling in a small space.

In terms of space, there's always the modular layout that can get packed away in a cupboard when not in use. Modular layouts are also handy in that you can take just one section out at a time to work on if you like.

Either way - good luck!

(from another London flat-dweller)

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Dave

I'm a fan of small layouts, working within a fixed space can really test your skills.

I've recently come across using Ikea Apa boxes (about £12.00ea) they provide a great base to work within. I've two on the go, a WWI based narrow gauge and a 2mm scene (not started yet).

N Gauge is also an excellent idea as mentioned by Southernboy (a master of the art!) above.

Whatever you decide good luck and keep posting your thoughts and ideas.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi,

I also suffer from similar space restrictions. I was planning on using a plastic 'under bed box' approx 29 x 70 x 21(H) cm, but your idea is a better size and as bonus works a nice display unit. So I guess I'll be going to Ikea !

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:45 pm

So I guess I'll be going to Ikea !

You can easily join them together so you can make a modular layout too.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 am

Great idea Pete, I will definitely be looking into it.

I braved Hamleys today for some unrelated present buying. Their little layout is quite well done and it was nice to be amongst the rolling stock again, which they have a decent stock of.

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I've dug out an old Annie and Clarabel set that was actually bought for my brother during my "away time" from any sort of modelling. I've added another wagon and it seems as if three four-wheelers would happily fit into the platform, which I don't really want to extend.

I know not so much about the 1900s-1930s era I'm going for (reading up is time consuming) - would a single branch (like the Stour Town branch) have a steam loco and four-wheelers? I know the Stour branch was used to experiment with autocoaches and the earliest DMUs, but I was hoping that I could at least go for a little loco and three four-wheelers to start with - or is this unrealistic?

My intention would be to be able to use a DMU fairly interchangeably in the future. This is just step one of what I hope will be a much bigger project as I, er, grow up ;)

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 pm

just a word of precaution, the hornby 4 wheelers aren't actually in existence, but loosely based on a number of prototypes. however, once painted up they do look ok. many people don't care that they are incorrect, but just a word of warning. ration do some four wheelers which are probably based on an actual prototype, although not sure what...

Also prototype locos that would run with these four wheel coaches are few and far between, especially in the iveries they'd have actually pulled these coaches in (probably pre grouping) but this can easily be rectified with a repaint. Again, most people aren't worried, just making you aware in case someone comes up to you and complains about it, you don't appear dumbfounded :D the era you're going for is probably my favourite era, but as you say, lots of reading up to do, so something I will save for a later date.

meanwhile I look forward to seeing what you do, if you like OO scale but want a bit more room, have you considered narrowgauge? this is N scale sized track (although I recommend actual OO9 track) with oo scale. peco do probably enough stock to populate a small layout, but locos would have to be kit built if you want to be british.

And remember, it's for fun!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:17 am

It's taken me a full year - and indeed this is my third dwelling since my last post! - but I've got going, bought my board and started accumulating materials.

I have a lot more space here so I've designed a much bigger layout (but similarly track-lite), so I'm attempting to build a little town scene centred around a station. As I might have previously mentioned I'm from Stourbridge so I had the idea this would be the terminus of a short branch. The scene will be backed by a four arch viaduct (probably the Metcalfe card kit), which the branch (which hypothetically doubles on the other side of the viaduct) will run through into the scene. For the other arches I'm going to try and block them up and make them look like businesses.

The station will have a forecourt with some shops and houses around, but the main part is a generic works on the other side, which will have an archway and gate onto the second platform

The board is 690 x 725 which is a nice manageable size, but there is a lot of work and a lot of different sections. It'll be shoddy - but I envisage doing this and if it's really terrible I'll still have all the component buildings to use on another layout.

Attached is an anyrail mock up. Thoughts welcome!

EDIT: Obviously - the buildings I can source will depend on what's available - but I was mainly going from the Skaledale range to start with. We will see.
Attachments
layout.png
layout.png (49.02 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Is it going to be static or do you have space to attach a cassette to run something on it?

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:31 am

Have you had a look at the Metclaffe card kits? I find them satisfying to build, versatile and robust, so they could be reused on a subsequent layout. They are also reasonably easy to modify which may give you extra flexibility over ready made buildings. I also like the Superquick range. There's no reason why you shouldn't mix any make of kit or ready made items if it will help you achieve your desired look.

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

Doing a few hour then going away for a year (two!) just won't do, will it!

I've finally built the Metcalfe card brick viaduct, which as Kentishman says does the job beautifully, although I'm still picking glue off my hands! This has revealed to me that a double track underneath it is simply not possible, so I'm rethinking my approach and will likely settle for a single line platform.

My attention now turns to roads - I've googled and found some excellent road tutorials but these seem rather advanced - so I'm turning to NRM for advice, can you help?

Thanks!
Dave

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:35 am

Use Emery paper, P400 or higher, paint grey with a few shades, and glue down
Google nail tape for white lines
Example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Colors-Rol ... Sw14xWL0WI
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”