New OO layout terminal

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: New OO layout terminal

Post by flying scotsman123 »

plenty of kits around, I think there's a thread here somewhere entitled "inspiration for modelling bridges" or something, bridges can be easy to make or complex depending on what bridge is the simple nut unhelpful answer. Try card or plasticard if you want to scratchbuild, nice easy materials to work with, or maybe wood depending on structural strength. wood doesn't really matter, MDF or something will do, I'll leave that question the the experts :D
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Steamy

Post by Steamy »

MDF? So I guess I would need to cut it down, then screw it or glue it to the baseboard?

I actually saw that thread and forgot about it, thanks very much.
I see stupid people....
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

The discussion seems to be about rail-over-road bridges. My understanding was that the bridge idea came from being part of the scenic break/divider, in which case you want something that HIDES the railway as it goes through the backscene, so you'll need a bridge that goes OVER the track.

As for what to make it from, the road bridge that crosses the line between the station and the junction, I've made the roadbed from MDF, but that's because the entire "upper terrace" baseboard for the housing scene is to be built on. Like this:
The terrace continues "in front" of the bridge too, but isn't depicted there. And the wood's just a base for the proper scenery (pavements, roadway, etc) to go on anyway, so whatever you make it of, it'll be covered up. It can be made of anything. There are bridge kits, by Wills, et al, that are all-plastic, and certainly up to the task.
Steamy

Post by Steamy »

Actually I was talking about the bit where the track goes over I assume is the road.
The scenic divider, I was going to put a few houses there, but I guess a bridge would be better, I#ll ook into it
I see stupid people....
Steamy

Post by Steamy »

If I didn't want to put the scenic divider on, would that matter? I mean would it still look like a good layout?
I see stupid people....
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

It'd still look good, certainly, if you make the scenery itself look good.

The purpose of having a fiddle yard is it simulates there being "somewhere else", for the trains to go to. You can bring trains on and off the "stage", they do their shunting, collections, deliveries, and leave again, just like the real thing. But it's not essential.
Steamy

Post by Steamy »

I'll still have the fiddle yard, maybe make it slightly bigger, I will still have a level crossing, and the road leads to the station or something
I see stupid people....
Steamy

Post by Steamy »

I tried to make it like Dragonfly suggested, I ran out of room, so instead of having a passenger service, it's gonna be a freight line, but will have some trains shunting old carriages
I see stupid people....