Switches.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
monty 2420

Switches.

Postby monty 2420 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi All.
Now want to wire my points, as I don't have enough Hornby passing switches want would you recommend.
Small toggle or push button, which is the more reliable. advice would be welcome from all those
who have a longer experience.
Thank you
Monty2420 :)

craw607

Re: Switches.

Postby craw607 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:26 pm

I have used the momentary toggle switch with centre off but also
some use the stud and probe method.
Sure I read somewhere that if you are using a CDU the Hornby switches are not so good.
John

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Just finished a panel, all points set by push to make switches controlling multiple points through a diode matrix. I used to think it was complex until I read this site. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical-2.htm. Only thing I have found is that he push to make switches fail if you leave the soldering iron in contact with the terminal for too long, must melt something inside.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

monty 2420 wrote:Hi All.
Now want to wire my points, as I don't have enough Hornby passing switches want would you recommend.
Small toggle or push button, which is the more reliable. advice would be welcome from all those
Thank you

http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Pack- ... 28093.html

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 pm

craw607 wrote:Sure I read somewhere that if you are using a CDU the Hornby switches are not so good.

It's down to the very simple construction. The lever starts at side A passes side A contact, sending a wasted pulse to side A coil, then passes side B contact sending a pulse to coil B and moving the points before reaching the end where it isn't in contact with anything. If you use it with a CDU the first (wasted) pulse drains the CDU without leaving enough time for it to recharge before trying to send the one that's needed. The Peco switch has a mechanical action which prevents any contact being made before the switch passes the mid point. If you intend to use any brand of "passing contact" switch check it out for the wasted pulse. They are perfectly satisfactory if being used without a CDU. If you move the lever slowly you will hear the coil for the currently set direction buzz before the point blades snap across.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm

monty 2420 wrote:Hi All.
Thank you

Hi
If you want to use toggle switches then you must use a sprung to centre off type. Often referred to as (On)-Off-(On) where the bracketed (On) cannot remain in the On position when the switches lever is released. SPDT Sprung to centre off is ideal as you only need one set of contacts in the switch.
SPDT is Single Pole Double Throw.

What you must never use is a switch that can allow power to continually flow to the motors coil. It will burn out in seconds if left powered!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”