New loft layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
EddScott

New loft layout

Postby EddScott » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm starting again with my loft layout and have come up with the following plan. Layout is modern era.

I know the station is a bit short but half of the passenger train will be under the crossed out bit which is going to be a town.

I'm not too sure on the spur coming from the top left of the layout. Its supposed to be for a rescue loco but not sure if I should take it out.

Not sure if I should hook up the branch line to the main layout or not. Its really only for a couple of DMUs to roll back and for.

Down the bottom is a small TMD with sidings to make and break freight trains - idea being that the loco or wagon might need repair and I can push the wagons about without disturbing the mainlines.

I'm wondering if there are too many sidings in the TMD - remove the two angled-up sidings on the left?

With bits I'm not sure about removed.

Any comments more than welcome.

Had another play around this morning.

Cleaned up the entrance to the sidings behind the TMD. First version didn't seem to flow/look right.

Added the little spur to the station. I could keep the odd rescue loco there. I've put a platform around it although it wouldn't be for passengers.

Added the bridge on the left to obscure the tight curves. Bridge leads into the station car park.

Ex-Pat

Re: New loft layout

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Plenty of space - about 18 ft by 10 ft if those are metric markings?

I certainly prefer the removal of the diamond crossing (top right) as per third plan.

When I first read your dilemma as to whether or not to “hook up the branch line to the main layout” my thoughts were to do so. Now that you have added the extra bay platform (top right) I would be even of more mind to link the 2 bay platforms by running in the left bay platform track at the bottom of the long siding that holds a long train in the third picture. You could then shuttle the DMU from one bay to the other (or even send it through the main platform). The only problem would be that in running from right bay to left it would have to run “wrong line” through the tunnel - but such things can happen in real life.

Removing the top left rescue siding does leave the station looking a little “bare” – but it’s your layout!

Presumably 00 gauge? What sort of track - set or flexi – your mention of tight curves suggests the former? Have you considered flexi?

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Ex-Pat.

You are right, its about 18 x 10 foot. Track will be code 75 flexi. Control will be via Roco Multimaus Pro with Rocomtion, 3x Roco 10787, 3x LDT GB8, 3X Roco 775, and lots of DCC concepts Masterswitch to lend more oomph to the 775s. Least thats the plan! That will provide 24 block detectors and 24 point addresses - there are more points but as many of them will throw in pairs I am going to make each pair one address (pretty sure thats do-able for creating routes) The TMD will be manual control.

I might put the spur off the station back in - my reasons for taking out were that the spur ended close to the edge of the layout which might cause scene issues and that adding the crossing points within the station itself - meaning a train would straddle the points when stationary.

The right hand bay isn't really supposed to be for passenger cars, its just a little siding where a rescue loco would sit. The last few times I've been to Cardiff central there is always a 66 waiting in a bay. I've always assumed it is for resuce duties.

I will probably hook up the branch to the main. I could even add a small station at the far end but on a 2nd level and have the line slowly rising alongside the fiddleyard. However, this is layout re-start No.3 and has less than half of what No.2 had trackwise. I want to keep things simple and manageable.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 pm

EddScott wrote:Thanks for the reply Ex-Pat.

Control will be via Roco Multimaus Pro with Rocomtion, 3x Roco 10787, 3x LDT GB8, 3X Roco 775, and lots of DCC concepts Masterswitch to lend more oomph to the 775s. Least thats the plan! That will provide 24 block detectors and 24 point addresses - there are more points but as many of them will throw in pairs I am going to make each pair one address (pretty sure thats do-able for creating routes)

I want to keep things simple and manageable.

Had to "Search" for the Roco references - it might be simple for modern electronics whiz kids, but for a died in the wool feet and inches and DC man it doesn't ring "simple" to me!

I’m with you on Code 75 though – the beauty of flexi track is that your platforms and main straights don’t have to be straight, and subtle/sweeping/transitional curves can really add to the visual impact.

Are the points Electrofrog?

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Ah, apologies with the DCC-isms. I bought the Roco system because I want computer control and the Roco Pro system comes with a trimmed down version of RR&Co train controller. From reading the net and watching youtube vids I'm 99% sure It will do what I want.

I paid £200 for the system including the sofware. This has saved a fortune compared to buying Digitrax Super Chief and the Gold version of RR&Co (about £700?) Might not have all bells and whistles but should be sufficient for my needs.

Points will be electrofrog and modified for frog polarity to be switched from the point motor (PM1s and Peco low power jobbies for above base fitting)

scribe

Postby scribe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 pm

hi

It may be a dumb suggestion and feel free to ignore it but it may be worth adding some curved sections on the end of station platform ? Even if it only gives you one more visible coach. I am not familiar with Xtracad so cant judge the distance between the end of the platform and the bridge. Although u may prefer the loco to be in site at the station rather than under the bridge ?

Kev
Face by God & Rugby. God put the good bits in and playing Rugby moved them around and made them 'interesting.'

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am

Any comment is welcome scribe.

The platform length is about 160cm. My maximum train length will be 240cm - 250 at a push. Once I lay the track I'll get a feel for how much of the train will be hidden under the town. But yes, theres no reason why not to extend the platform into the curve.

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:08 am

Instead of long straights you could replace them with gentle curves. This is far more appealing to the eye and should provide you with more enjoyment than watching a train travel in a straight line.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am

Aso may be a dumb question, but why not have the station at the top end of the long section, instead? You could easily fit in a 2-platform station there, or with a minor extension to the width (10-15 cm max), bring in the branch line to a bay platform too... Also gives more opportunity to make an interesting station throat scene and trackwork to the bottom half of that wall, and frees up the space at the top for something else.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:30 pm

In all honesty it is just habit for me to put the station there when designing layouts on the table I have. The board on the right is narrow because originally it was about 90cm wide. When I gave up the last layout I took out that section and have our bikes hanging there at the moment. I put in a narrow section there to make it easier to build and reduce the layout area (otherwise I end up creating these super massive layouts I have no hope of finishing!)

I can see what you mean though. The station would probably look better going down the right hand board. My only issue would be how to scene/lay the reception track for the sidings on the bottom table. It would look odd with the frieght train waiting so close to the platforms.

I will have a play around tonight.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 am

Is it intentional that a train leaving the left hand bay travels down the left hand side and comes to an end? For what purpose? What will you build at the end of the line to make travelling back and forth worthwhile and interesting? Have I missed something (most likely!!)?

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 am

Do you mean the bit that isn't connected to the rest of the layout? That line is solely to allow two branchline DMUs to go back and for. The line doesn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the fiddle, I just put the siding there as it fitted on the table - most of that side if the layout is off-scene - I am more inclined to raise that line and put in a small station at the bottom so the DMUs have somewhere to go. The main lines I intended to only have freight and long passenger trains.

I've had a play around with putting curves into the lines on the right and moving the station from the top table to the right hand table but nothing I've done I've been happy with. I will have a go at putting in the scene items first then add the mainlines and see how that looks.

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Have made another attempt at a layout design. I've finally found a design with the station down one of the long sides that I'm happy with. It does however remove the straight run from the original design which I quite liked.

Wasn't sure what to put at the top. Its become quite complicated so might try to trim some of the excess lines. I've put the single line round the outside to allow shorter DMUs to get from one bay to the other without getting in the way of the mainlines - I could probably build a short 2nd level fiddle over the main fiddle to store a few DMUs.

I also wanted to keep the freight lines a little seperate from the station so I can make a break freight without affecting the station lines.

Opinions welcome as always :)

EDIT

Made some more alteration. Quite happy about this one.

I noticed there was no head shunt at the top for the freight lines.

I quite like the idea of the branchlines disappearing into tunnels top and bottom.

Cleaned up the station throats. Wasn't sure what to do with the empty bit at the top so added a road (of sorts :) )

MattWallace

Postby MattWallace » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am

What can I say? I'd kill for this amount of space!

Love the latest design, can't wait to see how it progresses.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:43 pm

I agree with MattWallace, that space is amazing!

I think a few smooth curved sections (flexitrack) which are not parallel to the baseboard edges would add a hint of realism to the running of trains. That aside, I really can't say much. This looks very amazing with plenty of operational value.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”