Buxton OO (modern)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Northern rails

Buxton OO (modern)

Postby Northern rails » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Hello, im new to the site.

Im planning to build a model of Buxton station in OO based on the past 20 years or so. My original plan was to fill the loft complete but I might be moving house in the next 12 months so dont fancy spending a fourtune only then to dismantal it. My Buxton layout is to be designed to be 15ft long, 2ft wide and able to be split in to two or three section so i can take it with me or sell so i can build a more larger layout in my new loft.

Im planning to keep a diary on the development with wiring diagrams, photos ect.

Will be hopefuly I will get into the swing of it fully over the next few weeks.

thebritfarmer

Re: Buxton OO (modern)

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing the layout.
All Aboooooard !!

Northern rails

Postby Northern rails » Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Latest track plan, might not be 100% but it will do for me.
Attachments
Buxton oo v1.1.jpg
Buxton oo v1.1.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

If you try to follow a train arriving and departing you hit a snag. Trains run on the left so an arriving train cannot access the top platform.

If you swapped that first crossover to the opposite direction you could achieve this. You could then put a second crossover on or before the curve to give access to the departure line from the lower platform.

garth45

Postby garth45 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 am

Funny enough I did the same thing when I designed mine . As Jon says its easily sorted with another crossover .

Looks a good project and with the MPD/ stabling point give you a great excuse for obtaining heavy locos and lots off them which would be hard to justify normally on a layout of this size .This collection then could then be used on your future more permanent layout . So 10/10 for forward planning :D

Northern rails

Postby Northern rails » Mon May 12, 2014 6:12 pm

I thought that when but looking at google maps that is how the track is. I looked into it and found platform 1 is only used in the morning or when a train is split. platform 2 is used at all other times. How ever your suggestions will make it more practical.

from wiki regarding Buxton station:
Network Rail has proposed, in their North West RUS, installing a facing cross-over which will allow platform 1 to become fully operational as an arrival and departure platform. Doing this will reduce the number of shunt moves.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

If you are doing Buxton you will want one of these

It is Sandite car 977554, used to be almost a permanent resident in the centre road.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/977554a

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 am

That would be an interesting project . Based of the old 104 BRCW units. The old Hornby model could be used as a starting point. :)

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 am

You might find this useful - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewi ... otostream/

You and Google maps are correct, all movements to pfm 1 have to be shunted (at the moment).
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Northern rails

Postby Northern rails » Thu May 22, 2014 9:45 am

stuartp wrote:You might find this useful - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewi ... otostream/

You and Google maps are correct, all movements to pfm 1 have to be shunted (at the moment).

I am glad you agree, I was straining my eyes double checking I was looking at some photos from the 1960s and there was a crossover originally.

Northern rails

Postby Northern rails » Mon May 26, 2014 12:00 pm

stuartp wrote:You might find this useful - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewi ... otostream/

That's a great help thanks.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”