Mill ... eh ... something-or-other

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
AlanBrady

Mill ... eh ... something-or-other

Postby AlanBrady » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 pm

So I've been lurking around the fringes long enough. I'm almost at a stage where things might start moving. So I'm throwing up a plan for public scrutiny. Actually I'm looking for a solution. Here's my plan. It's about 6'x4' (ignore the dimensions, the building has thrown it a bit). OO gauge. No particular era (I have a class 117 dmu and a class 08 shunter from 20 years ago, so maybe 80's?). We grew up close to a run down mill, so that might work it's way into a name, somewhere along the line. Mill Lane? Two main loops with a passing loop and possibly some shunting. This is where I'm looking for a solution. The entrance to the shed and turntable was fine until I decided I could shunt between that and the tanks, but that would require reversing out onto the inner loop. Any ideas.
Track Layout 6 (6x4).scarm - SCARM 23092011 224211.bmp.jpg
Track Layout 6 (6x4).scarm - SCARM 23092011 224211.bmp.jpg (154.37 KiB) Viewed 1582 times

3D Viewer 23092011 224250.bmp.jpg
3D Viewer 23092011 224250.bmp.jpg (110.63 KiB) Viewed 1582 times

The bottom right corner is a platform and part of another line that might give the impression that it's a bigger station. Only just thought of that.
Thanks for looking
Alan.

B McG

Re: Mill ... eh ... something-or-other

Postby B McG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 pm

I like you plan. :-) I hope you don't mind but I thought you may want to consider this modification:-

modded.JPG
modded.JPG (79.41 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

Pardon the use of paint as an editor :-) It should offer some more station length for two trains plus a DMU / Goods train that can bypasse the main station. The turntable is accessed more directly and I've knocked out one track in case in interferes with the building to the left. It also dispenses with the stranded track in the bottom right corner which could be used for a car park area or station buildings / roads / amenities....

Hope this may give some more ideas :-)

Cheers B

PD.

Postby PD. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:16 am

First post of this new thread and there's Trouble at t'Mill! :mrgreen: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDVIViWW74 :D
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 am

Alan,

If you were using flexi-track then substitution of the 4th point up from the bottom with a double-slip and then a headshunt would solve your problem. It would still impinge on the innermost loop but would not block the "main" line that goes through the upper side of the island platform.

Are you anywhere near Dundalk?

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the comments.
B, I don't mind at all. When I give up looking to achieve the impossible, I will take up your suggestion. I liked the idea of the station in the corner. I might have a dapol loco kit sitting there as if there's an open day! Maybe a tourist attraction. Lots of people with cameras on the platform. Students? Spanish students. The Spanish Inquisition! Hmm ... yes ... excellent. Then there will have to be a mill somewhere. With workers on strike.
I don't seem to be able to get a double slip to fit in there, but yes a headshunt is definitely needed. Maybe a three way point would do the trick.
I'll have another look later.
Thanks,
Alan.

btw, I live in Dunboyne.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:46 pm

The trouble with model railways is that lack of space invariably wins.

I'm having difficulty in visualising the use of a 3-way point to solve your problem though. The only other way of implementing a headshunt which allows you to shunt round anti-clockwise to the tanks from the shed would be to put an extra right-handed point (facing towards the left) between the third and fourth points from the bottom. Trouble is it would take up even more room than just using a double-slip.

(I went from M3 Parkway to Docklands at the end of August - we were the only passengers until Clonsilla!)

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am

AlanBrady wrote:The Spanish Inquisition! Hmm ... yes ... excellent. Then there will have to be a mill somewhere. With workers on strike.

Ooh, you just gave me a great idea for a layout theme... Monty Python :lol:

Imagine it, forget signals/level crossings, you would instead encounter the Knights that say Nee before you can pass, instead of ticket collectors you could have the roman wall with Romans Go Home (ROMANES EUNT DOMUS) :D :D :D

Not sure where the parrot would fit in though :mrgreen:

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:08 am

And don't forget the generous helpings of Spam on the Buffet cars. :mrgreen:
All Aboooooard !!

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 am

Nice one LOL :D - I think we are on to something here even if we have hijacked Alan's thread :o

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:39 am

Didn't really bother with the 3 way point. I might try something like this. It will change whilst under construction no doubt.
Track Layout 6 (6x4).scarm - SCARM 25092011 000956.jpg
Track Layout 6 (6x4).scarm - SCARM 25092011 000956.jpg (97.72 KiB) Viewed 1411 times

No worries about the hijacking. I'm enjoying it. I think it would need a coconut vendor, with a 'Horses for Sale' sign. Maybe he could be the owner of the parrot.

Pat, I'm not surprised. Obviously that was during the week, if it went to the Docklands. It doesn't stop in Connolly (main station) during the week. A bit of a deterrent for people. Kinda like Ryanair. Brings you past where you want to go and dumps you somewhere awkward. Surely it's more fun that way. Also doesn't help that one of the stations isn't open yet cause there's no access to the station. :roll:

Til later,
Alan.

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:45 am

AlanBrady wrote:No worries about the hijacking. I'm enjoying it.

Wot? No argument clinic? :shock:

B McG

Postby B McG » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:27 pm

PD. wrote:
AlanBrady wrote:No worries about the hijacking. I'm enjoying it.

Wot? No argument clinic? :shock:

If you want to argue you'll have to pay..... ;-)

B McG

Postby B McG » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:19 pm

AlanBrady wrote:Thanks for the comments.
Maybe a three way point would do the trick.

Well lets see....

Mill.JPG
Using Peco points and mostly peco set track curves and straights
Mill.JPG (76.57 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

Using XtrackCAD I've used settrack curves and Peco stream line points (much easier on the eye than hornby ones) with a couple of flexible sections. (in pink) Three half curves of 11.25 degree 1st radius had to be used in the shunt neck marked in light blue to give clearance to the inner loop. If you have modern bogied locos (i.e. class 37, 47, 31) you may just get away with it. I'd test your DMU to be sure, however it did worked on my ex layout with a bachmann 47 and 37, however I never tried this hauling multibogied rolling stock as well, as I decided changed the sections to 2nd rad. I do know for sure that a 1st radius double curve (22.5 degrees) will cause the wheel flanges of a modern bogied train to jump the rail. BTW The turntable is 10" in diameter with room for three different sized locos.

Hope this helps :-)

btw, I live in Dunboyne.

I hail from Tamworth in the Kingdom of Mercia:-)

Cheers
Bryant

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”