00 4x1 Layout Ideas

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
pvts

00 4x1 Layout Ideas

Postby pvts » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi just signed up to this.
had a few trainsets and layouts as a kid, recently got my old stuff back out (half of its on ebay) as I want to build something new.
problem is a lack of space, i only have about 4x1 foot with a 2 foot run off aslong as its only about 1or2 track wide.
Laid out a few ideas, small terminus etc with a small goods yard, but didnt leave much of a display.
Second idea is a depot, diesel + steam and build the depot buildings in half relief. Something I could maybe add into a full size layout eventually.

Trying to model 1960s BR
So far iv got a 14xx and a J94 locomotive wise and various random wagons and an autocoach (you know what its like as a kid you just buy the first thing you see).

So layout suggestions and things to run on it.

Many thanks

Paul

sishades

Re: 00 4x1 Layout Ideas

Postby sishades » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

With such a restricted amount of space the only scenarios I can think of are an engine shed, a TMD or a shunting puzzle.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:46 pm

May I ask what scale you're working in? I'm fairly good at small plans

EDIT: Sorry, misread the thread title! D'oh!
Last edited by whistlehead on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Sorry 'bout the capton size - you can see them if you squint)

I went ahead and designed this in 00. It's a (very) small out-of-town branchline terminus.

Engine-wise, anything up to 8 inches will fit the runaround headshunt (if we assume it has a full-length bufferstop at the end. You could probably get another half-inch out of it if you use a short bufferstop)
In terms of passenger stock, I'd suggest the Autotrain, a railcar or a single-coach regular train.
For goods, two-car wagon trains (or one long lowmac or van), plus brake van.

In operation, the goods train would arrive first. The brake van would be detached from the rear of the train at the station throat and the wagons would be shunted into the goods shed. The brake van would then be run around and shunted into the brake van spur, and the engine would retreat to the loco spur. The passenger train would then enter, wait, then leave - with or without running around, depending on the type of train. The goods engine would then collect the wagons, run around them and shunt them onto the brake van, before exiting. The cycle then repeats.

The interesting part is adding variation. Make up situations to work around, set challenges. This can be a really fun little layout.

You might just want to shuffle that loco spur's point to the left a little, to lengthen the siding. The platform doesn't need to be that long, anyway.

Hope it helps,

Chris

pvts

Postby pvts » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 am

Thats really nice thankyou

I also quiet like this from the free track plans website

http://www.freetrackplans.com/639-Diesel-Depot.php

perhaps the two right hand sidings could be an steam shed.
any ideas to add abit more operation into something like this?

buz

Postby buz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi
You could try the track plan here.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31154
If the platform holds more than a small 0-6-0, a goods guards van, four wheel brake third
and a four wheel goods wagon then you have actually made it bigger than the real one.
the two goods sidings hold about 4 wagons each.
And this is a real place.
Or equally it could be a place in your imagination at a time you think is right for you to build
a railway in.
Just something to think about.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

tonyblews

Postby tonyblews » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 am

whistlehead wrote:I went ahead and designed this in 00. It's a (very) small out-of-town branchline terminus.

Coincidentally this would suit just what I'm looking at doing, but i've got a massive 6'x1' to work with.
I think my MetroCammel 2 car DMU, LNER J50 and single coach, and Class08 with a few waggons would fit.

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Try http://www.carendt.com/ - lots of ideas there, including several interesting prototypes.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”