How do you plan your layout? In your head? Or on 'paper'?

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.

How do you plan your layout?

In your head
23%
On 'paper' (ie your computer)
61%
No plan whatsoever, I just dump down whatever track I have and hope for the best :-D
15%

Total votes: 98

Zunnan

Re: How do you plan your layout? In your head? Or on 'paper'?

Postby Zunnan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm

It is indeed an older OS map with GPO records laid over. Some of the maps were grounded in 1946 and amended in the '50s with GPO/Telecom records added in the '60s, '70s and '80s. They cover the Bedworth/Nuneaton area. :wink:

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Have to say PC software is the way to go for me, AnyRail at the moment has let me mess around with just about every idea i can think of/copy with out spending a penny. I first came to the hobby 2 years ago and just kept buying track until i'd filled the available space i had! Turned in to a bad mistake! If your on a budget and have limited space I believe the current software is invaluable.

Des

Shaun Mac

Postby Shaun Mac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Hiya,

For me it's get the idea sorted out in my head but then put it down on 'paper'. If I didn't have it down on paper it would easily get out of control and I am bad enough as it is with trying to put as much track as possible into my layout!!

SM

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 pm

I use both of these meathods, I use the Computer for the main track plan, and then once thats down I plan in my head.

Shaun Wilson

Re: How do you plan your layout? In your head? Or on 'paper'

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 am

Tried doing it on the pc but by the time I had printed a copy off my plan had changed so just went with what was in my head. worked out well I think. :)

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am

I do a bit of both. I'll have the initial idea in my head, do a few scribbles vaguely resembling a track plan, then consider how it could be improved in my head, then some more precise scribbling etc etc.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:31 pm

This is my layout, designed to be 'supplied' from the Vertical Storage Hoist, 6 levels of 4 consists on each,so total of 24 available as well as the locos already around. Originally done by the 'jig saw' approach of shuffling track around to obtain desired operation.. The Scarm plan was done lately in retro but shows what can be done if deciding to plan on the PC. and would recommend using if only to verify ones ideas, and work out if it will fit and the movements you want.
'Saxborough' is a fictitious junction station LMS/LNER.and DCC obviously. The design was to create an almost go anywhere setup having as much variable ability and realistic practicality as possible, i.e. being able to sideline goods for passenger traffic to pass. One route that presented problems was near the Windmill, the curved crossing having to be made as no available track piece exists.Took a bit of getting OK due to shorting but succeeded. The latest bit is the Carriage wagon works ext.. Got to where 'what can I do next', I spend more time building than operating, but everything has to work well and operate as faultlessly as possible. The Retd.Eng, showing I expect. Hope of interest. Beeman. p.s. This also shows well what can be done with Scarm, thanks to 'Mixy'.
Attachments
Station and MPD area coloured ver.jpg
Station and MPD area coloured ver.jpg (98.19 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”