10x6 orbital layout N gauge (in a shed?)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.

Which layout design do you prefer?????

Plan A (original plan)
44%
Plan B (new plan)
56%

Total votes: 18

fratton

10x6 orbital layout N gauge (in a shed?)

Postby fratton » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 am

Please scroll down to view the two poll designs

Some of you reading this may have already read my thread on Milton yard and its progress,

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27618

but now i have a home and more perminent space i feel the growing urge to plan maybe build a more perminent layout
and thereby freeing myself of the restrictions presented by milton yard,

I have designed a layout to run around the inside of my shed in the garden, my shed however isnt quite built yet due to the inclimate weather we have had recently, and after construction some weather sealing inside and out and insulating will begin and if i am satisfied with the the weather hardiness of the shed i will consider how to go further,

i am very fond of milton yard but there are restrictions to it that i would rather loose and if my new shed is up to the job i am seriously considering scraping milton yard in aid of this new design as most of milton yards track is not down yet and what is can easily be recovered,

similar to milton yard there was a few key things that i wanted to do,

Three running lines
DMU sidings (this time with trainwash siding)
as lengthy yard as possible
make it orbital to avoid the trainset look

i will still be tinkering with this, i havent the exact inside measurements of the shed until i have the insulating board up and done so once satisfied i will
re-evaluate the design and change as needed

Most of the points are code 55 small chosen to keep the size of junctions down and plus that i have a lod of them in a drawer and all track will be code 55
there will be a non scenic area with a lift out section to allow access i have already began planning the mounting of the bridge and the gap spanning rails and such

Lastly wether i stick with milton yard or not i would like to say thankyou to all the members on NRM who's great layouts have inspired my want to raise the bar!

I doubt the MRS will be amused but ive been doing so much DIY and home making that the brownie points piggy bank wont even rattle anymore plus i'll make it sound like her idea and give her the choice of in the livingroom once or twice a month or in the shed forever lol,,,,
Last edited by fratton on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

fratton

Re: 10x6 orbital layout N gauge (in a shed?)

Postby fratton » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:01 pm

a small update on the design just some scenery features added and some tinkering,,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Hello, another design update,,,, have been tinkering with some bits and bobs,,,,

main news is though that after having my head in the DCC section i can definately say,

my new layout is going DCC!!!!!!!! i know theres gonna be some extra expence getting my stock chipped and some converted but i cant see anything but plus'es with making the move to DCC,

i've sowed the seed of the mrs getting me the first part of my baseboard frame for me for christmas which i'm buying as a kit in sections, the results looks far better than what i believe i am capable of from scratch,,,, i will be however making the legs myself (god help me) and before the board top goes on i will hope to havethe DCC BUS all installed and ready to go,,,

still have to get the shed built :shock: but all the materials are here just waiting for some good weather and some free labour and ill be putting it up like a man possessed!!!!!!!!

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm

cleaning the track in the DMU sheds may be a bit of a stretch?

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

the DMU sheds will most certainly be liftable,,,, they are already a work in progress in my milton yard thread think i'm going to need a few extra ones tho,,,

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 am

i was thinking of the 3 foot stretch over the rest of the layout as the issue? i suppose on reflection it should be ok , it depends on the scenery in front and layout height? i like the just below eye level view of things rather than helicopter view. my last layout had the rails at 4 feet + from the floor.

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Yer I had thought about the stretch but I think I am comfortable with it, at the front of the backboard would be control space (and workbench at first) I may drop it to 2 1/2 not sure, this is the beauty of xtrakcad I love that I can redisign my layout in a matter of minutes, I'm building the baseboard in bolt together modules that can be taken apart if a move is ever on the cards, I am going to have my board rather high, mainly to make wiring up droppers to the bus easier,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 am

well made some progress with the shed today (virtually unassisted apart from the mrs givin a little hand :) )

sitting nicely on 6 slabs and the huge spikes it gets driven into the ground with,,,

as soon as the liner is tidy'd up i wil be removing the topsoil all around and putting in weed barrier and the shed will be surrounded by shingle

as for the shed itself, the preparation is done only the actual final assembly is needed then i can take the internal measurements and adjust my plan if any,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:55 am

With my shed coming along nicely i have the internal mesurements in order to make plans to the sizes i know i have to work with,

i seem to be spending alot of time on xtrakcad at the moment and i have two designs now as i am not sure if the original plan fills the space,
so i have desided to do a poll on this thread see what others think of the two designs,,

Plan A

Plan B

Please if you read this thread vote for your favorite and if there is a reason for not liking an element of one of the layouts please do comment as i want to perfect as best i can these designs for which ever i choose to build
Last edited by fratton on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:03 am

With such a nice large layout, are you going to add any gradients in to make it more interesting.

What era stock are you running?

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 am

My era is going to be southern third rail BR blue and anything later,,,
I had thought of gradients on the outer freight loop and small embankment for the mainlines as they pass the sidings and the loco yard, nothing drastic maybe an inch or so just to take the flatness out of the board, at the moment i like plan B, more flowing and less cluttered,

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 am

I like plan B

One thing I loved about Camelot Junction (find the videos on You Tube if you've not seen it) is the raised mainline with the yard in front at a lower level.

You could have the mainline leave the station and go up a bit and do a loop around the boards, on the side opposite the station, keep it close to the wall, but keep it free flowing around some hills (if you know what I mean) rather than straight. Have the freight loop on the outside of the mainline at the station, but have it drop down and disappear behind some scenary and into a tunnel, to come out from under the mainline infront of the mainline at a lower level, you could then have a large yard going around the top corner with depot etc.

You could then have the freight line disappear back under the mainline before the raise and drop to meet each other again. before the station, they could still be on seperate heights as they cross the small board near the door.

Just a suggestion, but having the bridges/tunnels and different levels would make the layout much more interesting and its what I want to do on my next layout (even though I've barely started this one)

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 am

i dont want to go too mad with the inclines but i have thought of the freight line coming out of the tunnel on the left bottom corner on an embankment and dessending down to the yard junction and the station,

the second design is a rough first draft, knocked it up last night while watching a movie with a cuppa, gonna have another little tinker today,,,

AlanBrady

Postby AlanBrady » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:23 pm

I like bits of both to be honest.

On the original plan A, I love the curved platforms and station and the yard at the top.

On the new plan B, I like the idea of an outer loop on a (slightly) raised level. On the left hand side, I like the way the double main line comes in towards the edge of the board (breaks up the three long straights).

I thought, maybe after the pink sidings, it could run back out to it's original position and follow the line in the original plan. I was going to try to draw over your plan to explain what I'm talking about but I can't seem to :?

Just my thoughts.
Alan.

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Changed the new design to incorperate the curved platforms because i liked them too :D

also shuffled the emu sidings about a bit not finalised yet, quite happy with the yard, have been thinking about slight banking on the curves but going to look at the rails in southampton as an inspiration and maybe put in a level crossing somewhere when i start to figure scenery, would also like a bridge,,,

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”