goods onto station

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
kiwinewt
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

goods onto station

Postby kiwinewt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 am

Looking at a modification of the Model Railway Trackplans plan 16 (its as good a start as any, right?) and I was wondering how common/possible it would have been to have a platform that was used for unloading/loading of goods along with passenger services?

Nate

User avatar
pheasant
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire

Re: goods onto station

Postby pheasant » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:53 am

kiwinewt wrote:Looking at a modification of the Model Railway Trackplans plan 16 (its as good a start as any, right?) and I was wondering how common/possible it would have been to have a platform that was used for unloading/loading of goods along with passenger services?

Nate

While reading a book about one of the closed branch lines near me, I came accross a referance to one of the station's on the line not having a goods shed. The station had a box van on the platform for storing parcels and the track plan suggests a bay platform where goods could have been unloaded. One of the station photos shows a circus train being unloaded at the stations up? platform which makes me think other goods were unloaded at the platform. I don't know if this was common.

kiwinewt
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: goods onto station

Postby kiwinewt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:16 am

pheasant wrote:While reading a book about one of the closed branch lines near me, I came accross a referance to one of the station's on the line not having a goods shed. The station had a box van on the platform for storing parcels and the track plan suggests a bay platform where goods could have been unloaded. One of the station photos shows a circus train being unloaded at the stations up? platform which makes me think other goods were unloaded at the platform. I don't know if this was common.


That's the sort of thing I am thinking of - a branch line terminus that would have been extended as it got used more...

Blob in the top left is raising into a hill (with probable inglenook next to it - goods yard), grey with black surround is a station and grey with break-then-blob is stream heading to sea. Also line next to turntable is a raised road - possibly just as a bridge over the railway. Each section is approx 30cmx60cm. Third section is just fiddle yard :)

Comments/etc?
Attachments
trackplan.JPG
Possible trackplan?
trackplan.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

User avatar
poliss
Posts: 1661
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Re: goods onto station

Postby poliss » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:30 am

See the Goods & Not So Goods website for everything you need to know about modelling......well, everything to do with goods traffic and modelling. :)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 12860
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: goods onto station

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am

The bay at the rear of the main platform could often be used for unloading goods, particular if the ground was down at rail level so that lorries or carts could be pulled alongside wagons. It would sometimes end in an end loading ramp for road vehicles to be unloaded from flats. (In days gone no Gentleman would travel far without taking his coach along, and sometimes his horse and driver too, to use at the other end.)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kiwinewt
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: goods onto station

Postby kiwinewt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm

I was more thinking of using the line on the top (on the plan) side of the station for mixed traffic, with a carpark at the end of the platform to service the local town. The headshunt would likely be busy with passenger trains coming and going :)

User avatar
stuartp
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: goods onto station

Postby stuartp » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 am

Re: car parks. If your layout is set early enough to still be handling goods traffic it probably won't have a formal car park. There are plenty of examples of goods traffic being handled at passenger platforms on small stations, especially sundries traffic, but this was generally gone by the 60s and often some time before that. At that date the station 'car park' might consist of space outside the station building to park on the forecourt but the formal car park is very much a 1970s-onwards feature in most cases (and built on the goods yard in a lot of cases !).

By that date any remaining goods traffic would be parcels, mostly for mail order catalogues - Grattans, Kays, Empire Stores etc. Most of that would be handled on the passenger platforms at smaller stations as it went in the guard's van.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

kiwinewt
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: goods onto station

Postby kiwinewt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:53 pm

stuartp wrote:Re: car parks. If your layout is set early enough to still be handling goods traffic it probably won't have a formal car park. There are plenty of examples of goods traffic being handled at passenger platforms on small stations, especially sundries traffic, but this was generally gone by the 60s and often some time before that. At that date the station 'car park' might consist of space outside the station building to park on the forecourt but the formal car park is very much a 1970s-onwards feature in most cases (and built on the goods yard in a lot of cases !).

By that date any remaining goods traffic would be parcels, mostly for mail order catalogues - Grattans, Kays, Empire Stores etc. Most of that would be handled on the passenger platforms at smaller stations as it went in the guard's van.


Perfect :)

I was planning on having the "car park" as being a gravelled area anyways... :)

User avatar
stuartp
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: goods onto station

Postby stuartp » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Watch loads of people post pics proving me wrong now !
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

kiwinewt
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: goods onto station

Postby kiwinewt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 pm

stuartp wrote:Watch loads of people post pics proving me wrong now !

I won't hold my breath :P


Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest