6x4

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Mark735i

6x4

Postby Mark735i » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Right Hi all, to my 2ed post :roll: :mrgreen:

I built year's ago a 6x4 bace bord with me Grandpa, long - short, I now live were I could get it all out again, I'm going to fill in the oparating well as it's redundent space as I hope to be able to get all way round LOL. Looking at all the fantasic Layout's that are hear I'm starting to think 6x4 is going to be a little small space for a OO system?? but I don't have any more space.

I would like to be able to have 2 train's running at the same time and. I'd love a sunting yard and to make something fun to watch and use and a little vilage going as well.

This is were I cume stuck :? I just can't think of anthing to do.

I'd love to see all you 6.4 lay out's or track plan's :D to healp me out 8)

Mark, Sorry for all the bad splling and gramer :-(
Hay hay hay, ;-)

Bigglesof266

Re: 6x4

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 am

Depends upon what your goal is. If it's scale modelling with limited running, you can fit quite a decent end to end diorama into 6x4 or smaller/narrower. For an OO continuous double loop, 6x4 is on the small side, but no doubt there are many out there with a trackmat OO layout enjoying themselves with one regardless.

For a continuous loop, you'll really be constrained to standard geometry (set-track) with that space. The key is KIS and be practical. You could fit in a short double oval of 3rd and 2nd radii if you place the goods yard inside the oval which would also accomodate a headshunt and station + small village area. Appropriately placed points would allow the double ovals to mutually serve one another as passing loops.

I'd avoid a siding outside the outer loop in order to maintain sufficient space for 3rd and 2nd radi double oval in preference to being width constrained to a 2nd and 1st unless yu are only going to run short wheelbase locos and rolling stock.

Regardless of whether you want an end to end or continuous looop in that space, have a browse of the Hornby & PECO Track Plan books for ideas and layouts you might adapt to your requirement.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:28 am

I'd second the Track Plans Books route as well... they are a real boon for people who want to know what is possible in a small space! I'd have thought it possible to get all three requirements on a 6x4 but there won'r be much space left over!

Re spelling and grammer a good tip is to type your post into Word or equivelent and let it sort it out for you, then cut and paste it!

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 pm

an operating well in a 6x4 :shock: ??, it sounds like you are wanting a quart in a pint pot? ( we all do ), you could get what you want in N gauge on a 6x4 but i doubt anything that meets you expectations in OO. i have a few hornby plans i could email ( PM me if you want the 6x4's i have, not many ) BUT they are from the good old days when 1st and 2nd radius was the norm and 3rd radius was in its infancy. these days 1st radius is basically a no no as most larger loco's built in the last 10 years won't go round them cos they are too tight. most modern plans use 2nd and 3rd radius and even the newest 4th radius. also if you have really old loco's from like 35+ years ago you wish to ressurect? the wheels may not be happy on modern points and track due the clearances. you can just get 2nd and 3rd radius concentric loops on a 6x4, but the straights are very short and there is not a lot of scope for ladders of sidings in the middle. maybe you could settle for one loop only and a better yard?? or possibly the 2 loops but run a 12 inch shelf away from the 6x4 and have a nice uncompressed yard on the shelf??
Last edited by locoworks on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 pm

locoworks wrote:an operating well in a 6x4 :shock: ??, .

Why not? Freezer did several in 60 Plans for Small Railways and also several in Track Plans...

Realistically in such a small space in OO you should really be looking at mainly tank engines (suburban or branch line), with perhaps something up to a 4-4-0 or small 4-6-0 if it has a tender, frankly anything bigger than that looks daft even on second radius curves especially with 64' coaches behind it! If I was to return to SG I'd want the big mainline engines, but if I had only a small space I'd model in either TT (No1 preference but it would have to be Continental as British outline is very limited) or N, not OO.

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 pm

b308 wrote:
locoworks wrote:an operating well in a 6x4 :shock: ??, .

Why not? Freezer did several in 60 Plans for Small Railways and also several in Track Plans...
quote]

i'm a bit of a lump, i'd probably only have 9 inches to lay track on at the sides :mrgreen:

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

:mrgreen:

He allowed about 3' by 21" for the well! The principal was that you'd lose the scenic bit in the middle (the OPs village, for instance!) and it was mainly trackwork and railway structures all round you!

Mark735i

Postby Mark735i » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info guy's. :D I'll get all my stock out and show what I have, with ante much LOL
Hay hay hay, ;-)

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 pm

The OP actually said, "I'm going to fill in the oparating (sic) well as it's redundent (sic) space".

That will leave sufficient room for a modest goods/shunting/fiddle yard + headshunt + scenics.

Go for it Mark! Even most modest sized rooms will accomodate walk around of a 6' x 4'. a single sheet 6'x 4' setrack layout is better than no layout, and can be a smarter, cheaper, easier, more realistically achieveable project to set as a goal meaning there exists greater probability of its completion than more grandiose dreams outside one's means once the initial enthusiasm wanes and the humdrum of 'actually doing it' slog sets in. If one goes DCC, nicely and KIS for young 'uns, non-technically minded, those who simply don't enjoy working with their hands or perceive a bus as something you catch only under duress on occasions when the wife has the car or it breaks down, contradicting the naysayers of woe, IME on a layout of that size -and larger- for the typical type of ops which will be conducted on it one can reliably get away without soldering droppers or setting up a baseboard bus any more 'complex' than a simple ring via the provided single Peco/Hornby et al plug in connection. GL HF.

jamest

Postby jamest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Mark,

I've gone for 6x4 - initially because I was fed up with the scale of the layout I planned around my garage. If you plan well and use a back scene cleverly then it starts to look less like a 'train set' (no offence). Also take a look at lordsbrige in the personal layouts under construction - another lovely looking 6x4.

The link to my layout should be at the bottom of this post.

Good luck,
James

f1_mw

Postby f1_mw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 am

Have a look at this thread, which shows what is IMO one of the best 6x4s I've ever seen, it's a real shame Mikol sold it and stopped posting here.
Chris M.

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:23 pm

f1_mw wrote:Have a look at this thread, which shows what is IMO one of the best 6x4s I've ever seen, it's a real shame Mikol sold it and stopped posting here.

nice, but it looks like he used 1st radius curves?? most modern express stuff won't tolerate them so it would need redoing with 2nd radius as the smallest, this means less loops and shorter straights unless you want to make the board 6 inches bigger both ways.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Have a look here to see what has been done by someone else here in your space (lots of videos available too)
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16279&hilit=sumware
rocketman

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”