New south green. 8x4 oo gauge.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
THE CHIEF

New south green. 8x4 oo gauge.

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello peeps. After a play around with anyrail ive computerized my track plan for my new layout (pending). It will be a southern baced branch line in the 1950's. This will also be my first atempt at a fiddel yard. I hope this to be fully hidden with with point motors operated from the front. Im going to wire two switches to each dead section. A push to make to stop any unwanted trains passing and a on-off if there on a roundy-roundy moment. This will also be my first ventur into 00 since I was about ten and a lima super sprinter was the motive power of the day! One thing I have noticed so far is that alot has changed in terms of track. 1st radius these days seems to be a taboo subject and rolling stock is a lot longer compaired to older hornby and triang coaches. This means shorter trains and bigger curves :shock: On my unfinished n gauge layout i used curved point to goot effect and plan on using the same trick here, keeping points on curves where possible. Im also having only one platform so if I want to just run round I wont have to go throught the station every loop. As this has so far dug out so many childhood memories im going for an old school build. setrack curves will be the order of the day. Below is the proposed track plan...

Any idears are welcomed, like-wise please feel free to point out any errors!

kiwitram

Re: New south green. 8x4 oo gauge.

Postby kiwitram » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:26 pm

For the sidings in the middle of the layout, you'd have to drive a train all the way to the top of one lane, then reverse. What will you do if you have an exceptionally long train? :?

Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 pm

I like the sidings layout, it gives the operator chance to pull into the main siding, and then back shunt so that the loco remains at the right end at all time.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:46 pm

kiwitram wrote:For the sidings in the middle of the layout, you'd have to drive a train all the way to the top of one lane, then reverse. What will you do if you have an exceptionally long train? :?

Fair point, but im going to try and run smaller trains on the inside. Five or six wagons, the odd van on the back a two coach set. The outside will serve the bigger trains with no stopping service and the fiddel yard should hold that. If i go the dcc route i could drop a couple of wagons on the outside platform and have thme taken in by a terrier. Im going to model mainly local trains.

Jack Middleton wrote:I like the sidings layout, it gives the operator chance to pull into the main siding, and then back shunt so that the loco remains at the right end at all time.

Thats what im hoping for. Break up a small goods and send it out again later. Theres no room for a run round loop without it looking too crowded. Im hoping It will be a less is more effect.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:15 pm

No other issues then? we're good to go?

Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I'd say so, yes :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”