Mock-up of branch-line terminus

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
ngresley

Mock-up of branch-line terminus

Postby ngresley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 am

I'm up to doing the first bit of my first layout, starting small and simple with the branch terminus. I've done a lot of research for it, and in particular found Cyril Freezer's Model Railway Design Manual very useful. It's transition era, (very) nominally Midland region.

Here's a mock-up of same.

branch2.jpg
Photo of branch terminus mockup
branch2.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 958 times

To explain:

Baseboard is 9mm ply, 1.2m wide, scale 00.

Wavy red line should be straight! It marks the boundary of the terminus base-board - the terminus will be on a level above my main layout and I want to keep it compact.

Station is standard Superquick. I intend to extend it to the end of the second carriage. To the right is a coal siding (office and staith from Scalescenes), and on the right edge a Superquick station master's house.

Closer to the front, there is a cattle dock (pretty rudimentary at the moment) using the top siding, then a goods shed (Scalescenes freebie) on the lower one.

Run-around loop is big enough for the loco to run around a two-carriage train. Lead at the left is large enough for my Ivatt 4MT to run around, although I'll probably use my Jinty for most trains.

Any comments, given I'm 12,000 miles from *any* UK station for reference? :)

In particular, lengths of sidings, positions of buildings on sidings.

Thanks!

Malcolm Street
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Brianetta

Re: Mock-up of branch-line terminus

Postby Brianetta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 am

I like that. It's my kind of style!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”