Frodingthorpe N gauge

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Son-1

Frodingthorpe N gauge

Postby Son-1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm nearly in the position to start looking at starting my loft layout (one more board to get and fix). It is loosely based around isle of axholme (between Doncaster and Scunthorpe) so I can include steel, fish and passenger traffic. There is no set period.

The layout is inspired by 'Grubbe street' with changes to fit to my board space and get some of the features I want in.

The mainline from the station goes over the shunting yard with the line dropping down to the turntable and yard (though I might raise the yard and have the mainline in a cutting :? ).

The lines at the rear may be moved closer together and run on a viaduct or just one may be. The goods yard has a coal yard in the bottom right and possibly a cattle dock bottom left.

Mainly just the return loop with a roof joist in the bottom right, hence the separation of the 2 lines ( I may have to increase the gap)
Stephen T

Son-1

Re: Frodingthorpe N gauge

Postby Son-1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Doesn't look like the first board will work.

I am allowing a 2" hight gap for the bridge, but with 3% slope the turntable is about 1 1/32" high and keeping points on the flat I get a 3.5% slope coming from the lower line. Am I working to too tight a spec, or is it reasonable to allow for a 4% slope? I could move the points, but wanted entry to be as close to the station as I could get.
Stephen T

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Points on a gradient aren't that much of an issue, certainly no more than using sectional track. However, regular transitions from gradient to level point and back to gradient are more likely to cause problems, as is a gradient of over 3% on a series of curves. You should also be able to reduce that 2" height clearance by a few mm as well, use a thin bridge decking rather than baseboard material to cross the lines over one another :wink:

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't mean 2" clearance, I mean the bridge is 2" above baseboard. I'm now thinking of just having 1 line in and one out, both connecting to the turntable and storage coming off from there.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm

I have a complete loop 8) The first train has move all the way round, the layout is slightly changed and I still need 8 points to complete. I'll try and do some photos tomorrow, but the light isn't that good.

Due to using flexi off ebay, some of the joints aren't as flat as I will end up with, all the fishplates are new and is being wire to DCC convention (for if I go DCC eventually). The slope is fine with 60006 running light and with a couple of mk1, and fine with 5 steel hoppers except at one section that is 2 flexi joined on an S bend.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Managed to get some photos done.

The start of track laying.

Before I got the rest of the boards.

The lit scenic section. More buildings will be added later, all with lights.

Along the embanked bit at the back.

A delivery to the steelworks.

The light level isn't much good for photos, so I have had to use a torch on some.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Looks like you have a Rave going on in that factory !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Nice work!

But it looks like you've moved from the planning to the doing! :)
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 pm

There are still bits being planned. The main loops work and fit, but I still have to get the storage and goods yards to fit (I want my turntable to fit somewhere :? )

It does look a bit like a rave in there :) I need to stick another resistor in, and drop the voltage on the flickering red and possibly up the voltage on the other one as the blue seems to take over (3 colour SMT LED).
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

Additional parts are on hold at the moment due to 4 day weeks and 3 week months for the next month or so. :(

Started replacing the 2x2 blocks supporting the raised parts with purpose built supports with embankment. These are made from board (that is used by a PCB manufacturer the protect some of our blank boards at work) cut to size and made into box section. I have to start at the back as it is slightly wider than I can reach to work on, so have to kneel on the front. (Yes dad it's strong enough :roll: ) and track is rather uncomfortable to kneel on.

Got slightly confused on isolating fishplates with 3 points running into 1, it ran fine until I changed one to reverse, and it all stopped :? the track feeds were the same (I only have 1 loco working so all is live) eventually worked out if I isolate totally between the two points it works. This is actually good as I have an old controller of unknown make to control the shunting yard, once I can get more points (1/2 the working hours = 1/2 the wages :( ) and a second loco.

EDIT: If a mod wants to move this to the under construction section, please do.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Son-1

I expect it'll be up to you to start one over on the next stage ...... because you are under construction now !

Short time working - not good news and some politicians say we're back in a growing economy - me I prefer the Beano !

Dad-1
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:07 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Son-1
Dad-1

This is heart-warming (-:

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:41 pm

A while since the last update.

Wiring up more of the track and testing after a couple I found a short was happening, disconnected the last wire...still there.. :? ...disconnected more....still there.. :? :? checked points...forgotten to isolate.. :D ...short still there once fitted.... :shock: took the loco off the tracks... and no continuity :roll: :roll: :lol:

The scenic town part is coming on, but I need to get from Kestrel 4 semis, 3 terrace, 2 double shops, a corner pub and some building for the school. Other than a couple of bits, the wife is doing a lot of the planning on it.
Stephen T

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri May 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello Stephen,
How very typical of we "poor, suffering" male modellers:lol: to "call-in the "hard-pushed" female, unpaid designers :P :) --- "I'm having this problem, Dearly Beloved, H-E-L-P" --- You'll be calling for help from Dad-1 next :shock: :lol: Nice looking Lay-out, mate, keep-up the good work :) :lol: ,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”