A time travellers layout - grand designs!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
GunnerBill

A time travellers layout - grand designs!

Postby GunnerBill » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am

My research (or rather your help!) into my layouts steam/diesel transition setting has got me thinking of a bigger picture:

Constructing a layout where the history of railway developement can be seen as a transition across the railway era from the beginning to the present day. It could perhaps be done on a large layout from one end to the other of the board (in zones) but perhaps more practically by changing some removable items of scenery to match different era's of loco's and rolling stock. So that one day your layout can be '30's height of steam or 2010 or whenever.

Has anyone already done this (I expect the latter, perhaps not the former)

I'm more fascinated by having it all on one board but clearly this will need space and a sympathetic approach. Oh yes and a staggering amount of rolling stock :shock:

Any ideas?

smallman28

Re: A time travellers layout - grand designs!

Postby smallman28 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:37 pm

GunnerBill wrote:My research (or rather your help!) into my layouts steam/diesel transition setting has got me thinking of a bigger picture:

Constructing a layout where the history of railway developement can be seen as a transition across the railway era from the beginning to the present day. It could perhaps be done on a large layout from one end to the other of the board (in zones) but perhaps more practically by changing some removable items of scenery to match different era's of loco's and rolling stock. So that one day your layout can be '30's height of steam or 2010 or whenever.

Has anyone already done this (I expect the latter, perhaps not the former)

I'm more fascinated by having it all on one board but clearly this will need space and a sympathetic approach. Oh yes and a staggering amount of rolling stock :shock:

Any ideas?

Somewhere I have seen something like this but I really cant remember where :?
I think it was based on a steam layout that covered 50-60 years or something,different buildings etc that were changed to give a different era or maybe it was a double sided layout that was turned 180degs to get the other era?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”