Brand new to N-Gauge, oh what to do?!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
hiffano

Brand new to N-Gauge, oh what to do?!

Postby hiffano » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:21 pm

so then, I have recently decided N is the future, due to space considerations. I'm planning a 2 foot by 4 foot board, with a little extra available if needed.

I origionally planned a twin loop with small goods yard in a seafront settin, running in the Early 60's... but have been drawn to some of the rather nice bargains on new modern units. and an alternative is an east midlands industrial town that is rebuilding itself in a modern manor. (cos i like the 125 at e-hattons)

now I do already own 2 engines for my early 60's (class 40 and class 55) and a small selection of rolling and coaching stock, got the lot for £100 on e-bay. so I'm reasonably sure i could sell it all at a profit to start a modern layout, or mothball it and buy newer stock.

as someone with minimal experiance in any scale of model railway building, and more of a background in wargaming where my scenery building has been minimal, but reasonably decent what do you guys think? I'm going to run off track plans for both anyway as they aren't "too" different, and will post them up here in the next could of days.

as a brief the seafront one would have a small seawall on the front with about an inch of sand and deckchairs, a cliff complete with lighthouse to the east and the railway dissapoears into the cliffs. the east railway emerges from between some sandunes at the back of the small town. The small yard would have coal bunkers and suchlike. i would hope to had a couple of steamers, hopefully a black 5, and a small tank engine to complement the diesels.

the industrial one is framed at the back by a large viaduct carrying either a dual carriageway or "maybe" a canal, with a goods yard to the west and a modern station (think wolverhamptons glassness) with a disused old platform and overgrown track next to the newer stuff. Modern office blocks will be a distinct feature to show the regeneration going on. looking at the midlands 125, maybe a couple of DMU's and a GBRF66 and something EWSish and if i feel flush a voyager.

I await your (hopefully :wink: ) valuable input
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

beerandpies

Re: Brand new to N-Gauge, oh what to do?!

Postby beerandpies » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 pm

I like that you have a good little back story for the industrial layout and I like the idea of a coastal layout. Not much help, I know! Room for two layouts? :D

I mainly run DMUs on my layout. The Voyager is 2 feet long so you might find the space constraints suit smaller 2 car DMUs like the excellent Farish 150 or Dapol 156.

There are some cracking small footprint N-Gauge layouts in the under construction section. It's definately worth a good browse through there for inspiration.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Couldnt agree more with Beer and Pies, the N gauge modern DMU's are getting better each time, and they are perfect for small layouts..
As it happens, i have a small 4x2, it currently resides under my bed, only used rarely, but i did have a layout topic about it... its now probably at the depths of the forum... Heres a link

HTH,
Ste :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Do Both!! You`ll be surprised how much you can get on a small board. Smallman`s is a great example, have a look at his then decide!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11797&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=smallman

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Postby 3440 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:39 pm

My 2x4 N gauge GWR layout is based on a certain Rev. Awdrey's model of Thomas' Branchline. Of course his was 00 but it fits nicely into 2x4 in N.

Its a very well thought out plan and Ive rather enjoyed building and operating it.

heres the track plan http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/rm-1959-12-plan.jpg

and heres the old Railway Modeller article: http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/rm-1959-12.htm

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:21 pm

thanks for the swift replies, some useful comments on train length, this will be a bit of a concern on either layout i know.
I'd love to do both and I have spent all afternoon trying to decide which way to go, and still can't decide.

I love seeing other peoples tracks and was quite surprised to see a turntable on a small board!! something else to ponder if I go for the early setting. I actually had an interesting thought whilst I was out. . . "in time" i can do 2 of the industrial one, one in it's ear;ier era and one bang up to date. thought it could prove an interesting excercise... course i'd need to find more room lol.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:38 pm

bigbob wrote:Do Both!! You`ll be surprised how much you can get on a small board. Smallman`s is a great example, have a look at his then decide!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11797&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=smallman

Bob

:oops:
Nice to be thought of that way.
I was about to suggest a look at my layout but got beaten to it.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Hiffano,

I like the idea of the seawall and the railway disapearing into the cliffs plan if you decide this feel free to take a look at my layout ive got plenty of the cliffs and country side going on in my layout, might give you some ideas maybe just click the blue link on my post :)

I see you mention Wolverhampton im not to far from that exact point your on about 8)

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:46 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of N from a fellow convert.

As much fun as I have had with OO I have to agree the future is N due to the fact you can get a great layout with lots of functionality into such a small space. Check out my own 2x2ft layout for example (the link is in the signature (along with the OO layout)).

There's nothing stopping you running both the 60s stock and the more modern stock on the same layout, especially if you work in a branch line climbing up to a high level station as a preserved railway society line with your modern stock running on a lower loop. With a little bit of clever trackwork you could add an inglenook sidings and give yourself a shunting puzzle section as well up on the preserved line or into an industrial zone off the mainline.

But at the end of the day as we all say "it's my layout and I can do what I like!" so enjoy

Cheers

Keiron

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 am

right then. having found 3 more maroon coaches when I was tidying (I swear i can't remember buying them!!) I figure I am already quite flush with the stock for the 60's layout, so I'll be doing that, plus I do like the idea of having a Lighthouse on the cliff. I can save my midlands scheme till i have more space (thinking of building a shed).
so then. I have 1 4*2 board (but might add to this). I have my engines and rolling stock, and hope to buy a Black 5, i notice there was a low priced one at hattons. and I have about 30 metres of code 80 streamline track.
Now then. Assuming I stick with code 80. As a novice railway modeller (but vaguely competent person) should i stick with the streamline stuff? I know I'll need to buy some points, but my concerns are over getting the correct radius of curves.. any advice on that? Are older engines and stock ok on 1st radius curves or should I work to 2nd radius equivalent minimum (this barely squeezes on my board for a double loop) I have done a basic layout on anyrail, i'll upload tonight. I'm not hugely happy with it yet, but I'm still running through things in my head, and hopefully once you guys see it, you'll have some advice :-)

so I have
1 Farish Class 40, 1 Lima class 55 (oversized I am going to try and sell this and replace it), 8 BR Maroon coaches, 7 Wagons of various types, 30 metresish of code 80 streamline track, 2 hornby powerpacks (to be upgraded when i get some more cash) 2 N buildings and a load of my OO scenics, the scatter and stuff can be used and no doubt i can trim down the foam walls and hedges.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:51 pm

I would reccomend streamline track, much better than Setrack (although i have used a bit of this on my layout). To get appropriate curves you can buy "tracksettas" which are placed inside the track and give the correct radius(9, 10, 12 inch etc etc)
HTH
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 pm

ok then, not the best layout plan ever, but i think you can get the idea of what i am trying. I am concerned that the sidings are too short, I can remove the small curve before the point and maybe bring the track back round inside the loop a touch.
also think i'll run a track from the tourist carpark up the cluff to break it up. will also stick another point in near the station. thier is a "chance" to add a third terminus track at the station?

if I get creative might do a small pond in some of the open space in the town. and maybe a waterfall coming from halfway down the Cliff... ok i'll probably mess it up, but it's a cool idea!

obviously green is greenspace, red is buildings black road, and Grey platform lol. I am sure you all got it but you never can tell!. oh and of course the round on top of the cliff is a lighthouse :-) the buildins will be a mix of shops and hotels on the front, and houses away from the front. the one surrounded by the L of green is the school and its playground. the big green square towards the top "may" end up as a nice sports field as a bit of a challenge!

I hope to get some deckchairs and maybe the "classic" changing rooms on my small beech facing
please note the plan was designed with mostly setrack but i intend using streamline.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:46 pm

right then, since i posted my not the greatest plan drawing ever, it's all gone quiet.
I've actually purchased my additional starting loco's and was about to buy my board and scenery when the car MOT hit me in the googlies.
nonetheless, i would like your thoughts on .. this
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30146708

I thought it might be a quick and easy baseboard for me, legs fold in, and whacked on top of the (ikea) wardrobe out of the way when not in use. saves me buying and sawing to size any plywood. It "may" need some extra bracing underneath, but I think it has potential.

oh and yes, i know i'll need to protect wiring and any switches from the folding legs..

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi there,

A couple of thoughts on the plan:

1) I suspect you may run into some running difficulties with the crossover on the curve, on the left of the plan as drawn. Might make sense to move this round to the straight and put it close to where the sidings diverge from the inside loop.

2) If you want to keep the crossing where it is (it is, after all, your trainset!) then as drawn the two running lines "splay" out slightly as they depart the platform. This looks unprototypical unless, say, you have a roadbridge on that curve with a loadbearing support between the rails (ie they had to open out to avoid it.) This is most likely where originally the track was a four track line that has been rationalised, leaving just the central pair.

HTH

cheers

Ben A.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 pm

the gap is more to do with my design abilities on any rail, as i was using the freee version i was using streamline track and couldn't match it all out. the gap should be pretty standard.
I was toyinjg with the idea of a third terminus track at the station, and this may lead to a change in the layout, as i may add sidings off this spur, maybe ito asmall factory yard, or up to the cliff face as a small quarry or somesuch.
I "hope" to try that table out for size and start layign track soon.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”