My 00 gauge layout jakeys junction!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
trains!

My 00 gauge layout jakeys junction!

Postby trains! » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Can a decent sized yard be done in this space? If so any ideas? maby a track plan?
Last edited by trains! on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Class 66

Re: My 00 gauge shunting yard

Postby Class 66 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:13 pm

would be good to know what size of space you've got :)

trains!

Postby trains! » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Well i can have anything up to 8 X 4 but i'd rather have the smallest possible layout with some town scenery, using medium points.
Jake
See here for my plan:

trains!

Postby trains! » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:35 pm

No ideas :( :cry: .
Jake
See here for my plan:

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Why not use whats about , you got all the layouts on here to look at for ideas , you have of atleast 2 track desgin softward that i know of and you also have the whole , trial and error idea which is just putting some track down as an idea and seeing if u like it .

sorry

trains!

Postby trains! » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:28 pm

I have no track at the moment, I dont like xtrk and anyrail's ok but i havn't got the ideas to put on it.
Jake
See here for my plan:

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 pm

You got literly , hundreds of photos , links and topics on here with shuntting sections to them , im sure your find something

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Taw is quite right you know.

But layout planning isn't very hard you know. Here is one I built in about 5 mins. 8x4 shunting yard very simple. Click on the image for a full size view. But do have a look around there are loads of them about.

ta :)
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 am

Well I think S_Jay might be slightly guilty of underestimating just how much knowledge he has and how long it took to acquire it :wink: It's surely possible to put together a simple plan in 5 minutes when you've previously spent a great deal of time looking at real plans and lots of models, and understand the principles involved, the do's and don'ts, know your chosen software, and the track pieces available off the shelf and how they fit together. To someone starting from scratch it can be rather baffling.

Hi Jake,

I don't want to sound like a teacher or something, but if you want to get the best out of the forum I really think you need to read back what you've written before you post it - and then think if it would make sense to you if it was written by someone else. Try to think what information people will need in order to help rather than them having to pry it out of you :)

The more pointers you can give people then the more there is for them to get a hold of and give a decent response.

As usual S_Jay has gone beyond the call of duty, but most people will just look at 'design me a layout' thread that has scarce further info and forget about it, because there's too much effort required for too little chance of reward (and by reward I mean actually providing something that helps you), so it's not really surprising that you haven't been flooded with people's ideas.

Like has already been suggested, if you're stuck then have a look around at what other people have done in similar spaces to yours. You can't expect others to do this for you without the benefit of knowing what you personally like, which you can only decide for yourself :wink:

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

TheFreightMaster123

Postby TheFreightMaster123 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi jake,
I disagree slightly with what dmh has said, I produced this:
le plan.jpg
le plan.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 7306 times

As my fourth plan with anyrail, though I have done over 150 plans with xtrkcad.
Cam
Woohoo! 100th post!
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.

One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 pm

TheFreightMaster123 wrote:I disagree slightly with what dmh has said, I produced this:

Which bit exactly? I do sometimes talk rubbish, but I like to be pointed in the right direction :lol:

If I compare your plan with S_Jay's, it does seem to illustrate part of what I was saying, as it's your 154th plan and there are a number of possible problems (track spacing very very close together - it takes nearly a foot at Streamline spacing to get 4 tracks in, but you seem to have it in six inches; there's a nasty kink at the end of that top section, a strange angle leading into the sidings on the left; very sharp corner bottom right (too sharp? Not sure exactly what radius it is and what trains will be run, but as medium points were requested, I'm guessing extremely tight bends will be a no-no); strange coming together of tracks on the left side; track generally too close to baseboard edge).

There's also more to planning than just drawing tracks, e.g. what is each part for and do the movements make sense?

Ade
My bits and pieces

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 am

I agree with what Mr Dead has said, what 'trains!' has asked for is this:

Decent sized yard
In 8 foot by 4 foot space but smaller ideally
Medium points
Some town scenery

That is about a vague as it gets, its like saying "I want a car, it need doors" - a 1980 mark1 fiesta meets that requirement but so does a multimillion pound Bugatti.

So what info is useful?

Type of yard? Good wagons? Coal? Tankers? Carriages? Loco service yard?
Terminal type layout or tailchaser?
Era?
How much scenery? Some want a realistic rural scene (like Lee's lakes layout), some like urban layouts with massive built up areas - others seem intent on filling every inch with track.
What is the budget for track, no use saying £60 and then wanting 15 points...

S_Jay came up with an idea by complete guess work, with the vague specification and did it to show that it's not hard to have ideas. When I was younger I used to do squiggles on paper and then using my set track planning template (hornby or peco, can't remember now) I used to draw scale versions. Now I do the squiggles on paper and then transfer to xtrckcad - although I still haven't sussed the flexitrack bit yet! As Mr Dead highlights, it's your 154th plan but it's got flaws that would make it unusable (top right hand kink into point, in my experience, would cause derailments - so with your experience and still making mistakes it does highlight that these software packages don't suit all.

Perhaps a sticky stating requirements/spec needs for layout design requests should be put at the top of the layout design bit?

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Whoa boys lets ease back a bit.

Really what I was hoping to do is give Jake an idea that might spark him into action. Sometimes you can look a blank bit of paper and think I want a layout and still be looking at the same blank paper an hour later (track designers block!! :) )

But once you see something you can see it's not what you want and more importantly how to fix it. So really I'm just trying to provide a little kick of inspiration to a fellow modeller

:)
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm

S_Jay wrote:Whoa boys lets ease back a bit...

I probably came off sounding rather more negative than I intend and it certainly wasn't my aim to try to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. I was trying to explain why there might be few responses (which needed doing - I mean the first post expected telepathy and didn't even seem to raise a 'duh' afterward :lol:) although I probably could have put it better...

I wasn't trying to put anyone off drawing plans (indeed I was trying to encourage it and probably failed miserably), but I was trying to say that being a good planner takes some experience and people shouldn't expect to produce a decent plan so quickly without having a lot it. (Might have something to do with my frustrations at having been planning for a year and still not finished :oops:)

I definitely wasn't criticising anything S_Jay did (not quite sure if you thought that or not).

Ade
My bits and pieces

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Dead Man's Handle wrote:
S_Jay wrote:Whoa boys lets ease back a bit...

I definitely wasn't criticising anything S_Jay did (not quite sure if you thought that or not).

Me neither and I've reread both our posts and found nothing harsh?

I thought I was trying to help by pointing out what you had managed to do from a very brief specification and what might be useful in a specification to help when others are making suggestions...

Plus showing that sometimes a paper drawing is as good as CAD design.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”