An idea for my first layout.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Rabspat

An idea for my first layout.

Postby Rabspat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Well i have been messing around with paint and i have come up with a rough layout idea, it be a End 2 End as i don't have a lot of room to work with. It will be OO gauge and be steam and Diesel (Early Diesels), I have never planned a layout before so anything you guys can add or think should be different please speak up.

I have yet to name it so at the moment it will be Project 1, orignal i know, but it is complete fiction this layout and won't be based on anything.

SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

beamends

Re: An idea for my first layout.

Postby beamends » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Rabspat wrote:Well i have been messing around with paint and i have come up with a rough layout idea, it be a End 2 End as i don't have a lot of room to work with. It will be OO gauge and be steam and Diesel (Early Diesels), I have never planned a layout before so anything you guys can add or think should be different please speak up.

I have yet to name it so at the moment it will be Project 1, orignal i know, but it is complete fiction this layout and won't be based on anything.

Just one observation - you can't run round at the "lower" station without a trek and running wrong-road. Perhaps a short spur just above the cross-overs to hold an engine that will take the train back ( a good excuse for more engines)?

Cheers
Richard
I have become.......comfortably numb

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks for the comments Richard, i am thinking about scrapping the bottom station and making it a fiddle yard. and having the one station with a Goods Yard. I make a a revised track and post here.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:03 pm

The revised track plan, how does it look now?

SIMON
IN PROGRESS

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:46 pm

looks good but what are the dimensions?
Regards
Rob

beamends

Postby beamends » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm

This is a purely personal thing, and goes against perceived wisdom, but I'd prefer the two station idea, with a scenic break at the angle of the "L", as it gives the opportunity to model two completely different stations (say one modernised according to your chosen era, one old an decrepit for example, or different pre-grouping companies, colour light signals one end, semaphore the other etc etc). However, that won't work if you like lots of stock all on the rails at the same time, or if perhaps modelling scenery is not a top priority, and probably a whole lot of other things.

The main thing though is that I don't think you have set your sights too high and kept it achievable and not too cluttered (at least to my taste) - but at the end of the day Rule I applies - it's you railway, do whatever pleases yourself!

Cheers
Richard
I have become.......comfortably numb

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:59 pm

Could do with a headshunt for the goods sidings, save keep reversing onto the mainline to shunt trucks about? :wink:

Paul

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:57 am

Ironduke wrote:looks good but what are the dimensions?

The longest part will be 10ft x 3ft the shortest part will be 8ft x 3ft.

I like the idea of the 2 stations as well, i might revise that plan and add some headshunts as suggested.

EDIT: I also want it to be a mixed era with DMU and steam so that i can say run a BR B/G HST 125 (Short one) and a B/G Class 108 i have a Green one to run with the steam. Any ideas on how i can do this?
SIMON
IN PROGRESS

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:44 pm

looks good, but personally here I'd go for the two station idea you started with. but with one station designed to act as a storage area, in effect a station/fiddle yard area.

e.g. maybe one normal and one island platform, thats three long roads, forget the escape crossover, have a headshunt with a single running road between the two (keeps everything simple) these roads sized to match your main station road capacity. this allows three passenger trains to be held.

add a group of goods roads, at least three, again sized to handle the longest train your main station goods area can handle. put something like a low relief warehouse at the very back. you now have a six road fiddle yard that looks like a station, the headhsunt makes it usable. along side the headshunt, put a pair of locomotive holding roads, rigged to hold four or six engines.

this can feed a station nicely, note to start with you just lay the roads, the scenic overlay comes later, or can be forgotten about if you get side tracked.

you get a branchline feel, due to the single track, but with smaller steam engines and diesels it will look and work pretty well I reckon.

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 pm

I have to say I personally prefer the idea of having 2 stations purely from an aesthetics point of view but as someone else said "it's your railway you do it your way".

Staying with the 2 station idea I would make the top station a mainline terminus station with the goods handling area alongside to give an impressive feature area. You could plan the goods yard to be semi autonomous from the station so shunting activities can go on seperately. Maybe even move the goods yard along towards the middle so you can have an extra platform or 2 in the terminus.

For the smaller, lower station I would look at 1 island platform and 1 bay platform to give a local line and the appearance of 2 mainlines running through. With a bit of scenic work and modellers licence you can add a tunnel to the end to complete the illusion. I would add a loco yard here to store whatever trains you have as they always look better on the layout than in a box.

Don't worry to much about putting runarounds in the stations as in many cases a seperate loco was used to take the next train out. If you have a small siding off the station as a standby area you can operate whatever you like and make a little cameo scene where the driver and fireman have a cuppa.

At the end of the day you should go with what makes you happy but this is the sort of thing I would go for.

Keiron

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Ok the updated version which i am kinda happy about but please give your input. I will be starting this project in the new year.

SIMON
IN PROGRESS

leopard

Postby leopard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:36 pm

now that is very nice, the smaller station pointwork is a bit "busy" but frankly who cares if its mostly a goods yard.

depending on the length I'd drop some of the crossovers* since they take more space that you would think and its all cost of course. in a goods yard crossovers etc make for nice shunting puzzles and plenty to do.

* the exception being the clever idea of having one half way down a single face platform as you have. can be used as a loco release for smaller trains but also can be used to allow two smaller trains to use the same platform. sort of 1a & 1b for platforms :-)

also by making most of the corner a tunnel all the sharp bends are hidden, which is always nice :-)

this could look very good, and will definatly be interesting to operate at least

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”