Cholmondeley Park

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
glegalee

Cholmondeley Park

Postby glegalee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 am

I have never had a layout that I didn't have to put away at the end of a session but since I now have my own loft to fill up I have come up with this plan, this is my fourth attempt at the design as all my previous attempts just looked un relistic and too semetrical. I live in a back to back house so about 2 inches behind the roof supports there is a breeze block wall hence the reason there is such a narrow line between them, I wanted to try and maximize the length of track that I could have so I have incorperated a double loop, I intend to have 3 or 4 controllers controlling the layout in 12vdc, hopefully this will allow the long double loop to be controlled independently to the yard/siding/turntable area so that I can shunt while I have a main train in motion around the out side.

Your feed back and ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by glegalee on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

leopard

Re: My first fixed layout.

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:05 am

odd shape, but it looks very nice, I love the turntable & loco roads, mostly since they are nice and long. you could get a good maintenance shed there, at least two locomotives long easy, with space so it doesn't look cramped. MPDs are not small places.

I'm assuming the bit in the middle is a smallish station, which should be good, certainly a more interesting track plan than mine anyway, the small goods sidings (i assume) are nice as well, and would probably be best as a 'private owner' yard for some small industry (metcalfes brewery?) something that allows a range of wagons but would in practice be a small yard.

this would actually look very nice as a smaller station, just up the line from a terminus, the MPD for the mainline station located here (maybe a mile or two up the road) due to lack of space at the main station... a small inner city industrial loading yard etc. but a small through station.

your bypass loops at the back allow decent length trains.. in effect you have pretty much everything here :-)

the only change I'd be tempted to make is the crossover on the loops, I'd be tempted to make this a pair of normal crossovers, you have the space, then you have two independent loops when you want them and crossovers fro when you do. a scissors is better but expensive and wide.

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for that, very good ideas, will definately consider those when sceenery time is here.

Cheers
ImageImageImage

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:49 pm

just thinking out loud really, its amazing what you can do with the same track plan, the whole thing could be a twin track mainline, with a loco works and a wagon works, i.e. make the whole thing a depot, no station.

or a station, loco depot at one end, the sidings as a DMU depot.

all without changing a thing on the track, it all depends what you want to run. I'm assuming 1900 - 1960 for the turn table giving stea or a steam/diesel mix. in which case the sidings could easily be a diesel depot etc.

you've actually managed to come up with a very versatile track plan, it could quite literally be anything, and with a 15' run you have the chance to use decent sized points, medium radius or bigger to avoid the toy train look.

depends what you're after really.

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Well, I was wondering how to incorperate a station in to it as if I were to put one in the most obvious place to make a through station there would be an issue in how passengers would get to it, so I like the idea of a depot and no station.
ImageImageImage

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:16 pm

a lack of a station, or a very small one with longer through traisn works pretty well. but the idea of modelling the bit of track just beyond a huge mainline station provides an excuse to run long trains without having to provide anywhere to stop them.

the only thing you lack is anywhere to store a full length rake of coaches, but two crossovers on the parallel tracks, but at opposite ends provides a huge run round loop where something could live. or if you could put a few sidings here, say two, you have somewhere to get a rake out of the way.

or just be up the line from a smaller station, run three/four coach rakes with smaller engines and your well away.

I do like this track plan, it looks like each track has a reason for being there

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:23 pm

So I have added a long siding hidden by the backsceen to house a long rake of trucks/coaches.

ImageImageImage

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Ok so I have been up in the loft building the fourth of my five main base boards and was experementing with the track that runs behind the roof supports. Here's a pic, think its going to work quite well.

ImageImageImage

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:24 pm

no brainer that, you have the space may as well use it.

that hidden siding will be useful I'm sure. look forwards to seeing this one run

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Been toying again with the layout after I was told by a fellow enthusiast that an access to the turntable direct from the main line was a definate NO NO, so this has been removed and I have also added an extra siding off the turntable.

ImageImageImage

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 am

The other Turntable No-no if you are being strict is that you should have more than one point of entry/access. If you have space there should be another access point on the left-hand side. Preference is to have one used for entry and one used for exit.
But only if you have room :)

Ps Is that an Anyrail file? I'd be interested to see the file could you send it over?

Thanks J
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:52 pm

Unfortunately I have an old hornby turntable with only half the entries and exits that the newer version has so I am limited th what I have drawn.

Cheers for the input though.
ImageImageImage

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Ok so I have been playing again with my design as I wasn't 100% happy with it before and have decided that this is the one that I will be going for now. I have aquired a shed load of chip board to finish off all the base boards with so can get on with that and have told people that I would like peco track for my b'day in october. I have been told that peco is the way forward and I think they were right, looks more relistic on the curves I think.

Cheers
Last edited by glegalee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:18 pm

I really like the look of that plan, but I would also urge you to take out the crossover and replace it with sets of points for switching between the two loops. The crossover piece is very limiting in comparison, as it means you only really have one long main line run. If you were to separate the two loops with points and isolated joins, you could run two trains in continous loops in opposite directions. You would still be able to switch loops as often as you liked, but you wouldn't have to.

Hopefully that makes some sense and you can see the advantage that I'm trying to explain!

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:58 am

guitardave_1 wrote:I really like the look of that plan, but I would also urge you to take out the crossover and replace it with sets of points for switching between the two loops. The crossover piece is very limiting in comparison, as it means you only really have one long main line run. If you were to separate the two loops with points and isolated joins, you could run two trains in continous loops in opposite directions. You would still be able to switch loops as often as you liked, but you wouldn't have to.

Hopefully that makes some sense and you can see the advantage that I'm trying to explain!

Yes that does make scence, I was toying with that idea but didn't incorperate it in to the plan, the method of cross over if I were to do it would look something like this:-

Cheers for your input, keep it coming.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”