Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
barney121e

Re: Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Postby barney121e » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:43 pm

End2end wrote:With DC (I think), if there aren't additional isolated tracks or sections, when you turn the controller up you may end up controlling (moving) more than the single desired loco.

With DCC only the train assigned to the controller at the time will be under control, whilst other loco's can be sitting on the SAME track with any lighting and or sound options turned on, or indeed running. (Double-heading for example - using 2 loco's on the front of a train instead of one loco)
And 2 loco's in a single track siding for example.
You can move the front loco out of the siding whilst the other loco behind stays still.

With DC (again using the same example of 2 loco's in a single track siding) you'd need to cut the track (say half way along the siding) so the bufferstop end of the siding could be isolated from the entry end of the siding to move the front loco without moving the loco behind.

I hope that all makes sense.?? :?
Sorry. Only got 5 hours last night. My brain is rebelling. :lol:
Thanks
End2end

Been looking at Cab Control for DC, which is a possibility.

DCC thought is all about cost of converting my locos, they are mainly Lima locos. Hence why im trying to learn soldering.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:57 pm

I don't know the inside of Lima loco's as I've never had one but if you request information on specific loco's on the forum I'm sure our knowledgeable members can tell you if any model cannot be converted to DCC. :D

This section might be your first port of call for requests of specific Lima loco information.
viewforum.php?f=1

And then perhaps moving on to DCC questions within this section.
viewforum.php?f=27
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:19 pm

End2end wrote:I don't know the inside of Lima loco's as I've never had one but if you request information on specific loco's on the forum I'm sure our knowledgeable members can tell you if any model cannot be converted to DCC. :D

This section might be your first port of call for requests of specific Lima loco information.
viewforum.php?f=1

And then perhaps moving on to DCC questions within this section.
viewforum.php?f=27
Thanks
End2end

I'm sure the Lima ones can, but need to learn soldering to be able to wire them up properly. Step one, how to tin the tip. LOL

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:54 pm

Tinning is just basically getting some solder onto a surface, item or wire.
Tin the tip of the iron just by melting solder on the end of the soldering iron. (The hot end :D :mrgreen: :lol: )
Then tin both items to be soldered together.
After that, bring the items together and heat whilst holding in position, remove heat and the solder will solidify within a few seconds.

Keep the end of the soldering iron clean by wiping on a damp sponge while working.
Try not to use to much solder.
Don't use the lead free solder. It's rubbish. The 60 / 40 stuff is what you want.
Low melt solder if you are brass kit building.
Simple. :wink:

Personally I don't use any flux as I don't make anything like brass kits but I've soldered 1000's of connections of different types over the years professionally and I've never used it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”