Kavster's Loft Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: Kavster's Loft Layout

Postby End2end » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks for your comments Kavster. :)

In the TMD/freight area (upper right) if you use a Y point instead of a normal point you'll have better track seperation on the 2 sidings. Perhaps for a goods shed for example, across one track.
This will give a scene of rail to road / road to rail goods conveyance. Remembering that the road vehicles need a way to get out of the yard. :arrow:

I declined inclines...for my own sanity. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:35 pm

No problems!

Ah yeah, good shout! I shall change that up. I might even move them further away from the edge of the baseboard so I can create a road area like you mention also.

And yeah, I'll probably end up 'dropping' them too, but was still considering them.

(N.B. This thread has been a wonderful source of puns btw :lol: )

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm

I think I may have come up with a way to do an incline/decline...

Limitations are that it's only one incline/decline so locos will have to share it. But for me, that's not a problem.

I havent changed everything on the plan, just added in the yellow section.
But obviously I will disconnect all the other points that link the main line to the branch line, and have just the one incline from the station up to the height at the docks area.
the entire mainline will proabably be 4 inches in height, and that gives me around 12 feet to get up there, at the limits of what it can be, I know. I could drop it to 3 inches if needs be...but it's just an idea at the moment.
The station would then be at 2 heights with some link connecting them. The branchline platform will be at baseboard level.
The start of the incline would run under the mainline at the station end, and then up...so that's why the tracks are across each other.
Hope that makes sense....

It'll cost me a bit more in material though, so weighing it up...

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 pm

I really am in two minds about this.
I can see the pros and cons to both ideas, and really am not sure about whether to go for the mainline being 4 inches above the branch line with a single incline/decline.

If anyone has any last thoughts then speak now please haha!
I’m gonna buy the rest of the material I need this week for whichever way I go, including the point work.

I think I am leaning more towards keeping it all at one level and developing the layout in the future. But, I know that will make it harder for me in the future.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I think the only easy way to add some split levels is this.
Remove the yellow track and make oth main lines rise and fall, the highest point being above the dock area.
Here's a picture then the explanation...
3rd_planinclineEDIT.jpg

Reattaching the green line to the main line at the TMD somehow, thus negating the need for the yellow track.
Keep this track/station/TMD all on one level.

Move the point to the docks line (is this what you mean by your branch line?) circled in black to this new upper place, so you still have the functionality of getting onto the docks/branch line.
All the blue twin track in the green boxes can now be raised. The incline starting after that new point position on the right, raising up then going behind the docks at height then declining before reaching the points on the left hand side.
It's the easiet soloution I could think of for split levels but may not reach 4 inches above the docks/branch line.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: I just thought, if the blue track was raised behind the docks, arches would make some great oppertunities to use them as warehouses and a fake road entry/exit! :idea: :D
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply...been a bit busy the last few days!

I was actually thinking about your idea and think you're right about it probably being the best way to do it.

I'll probably be able to get it to a height of around 2 inches for a reasonable distance, and can then make it a hill or raised terrain instead of railway arches. I just can't get the height for the arches in the space I've ot, but that's ok.

I was also thinking about making the outermost blue line completley level on teh baseboard and where the incline would start on the inner blue line, I would send the outer into a tunnel.
So the inner line goes up 2 inches, behind the docks at a level of 2 inches, and declines back to baseboard level. All within the area's you've highlighted. Then the outer blue line would all be at one level, but it would go into a tunnel (and remain hidden from the operating area, but accessible from behind) and re-emerge where the decline is on the other side.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see haha!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”