February 2015 forum competition

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
alex3410

Re: February 2015 forum competition

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:28 pm

As soon as you set up you thread pm me the link & will get it updated, I have settled on the dapol railbus & have even ordered it so I can't change my mind again :lol:

It's something I have attempted before but not finished so hoping this compitition will give me a boot to finally get one done :lol:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm currently thinking of doing an Elizabethan cottage from Scalescenes as I could easily do it with the equipment I have with me/could get - scissors on my penknife and some glue. However I would quite like to try one of the Dapol kits - maybe one of the wagons - but my lack of tools may be a problem. I've also looked at the Airfix starter sets but I don't really want to do one of them.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Now, if I was a betting man I'd have Dad-1 as the early favourite. With only 3 competitors having submitted models to build his is by far the most interesting to date.

To enhance my chances I'll have to get a blurb up on the Monarch or the history of AEC. :lol:

Paul

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm

I wouldn't have me as a favourite at all !!
I've not finished an aircraft kit since 2009, although I've started a few.
It should be educational though, perhaps give someone else a tip or
two on working plastic.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Dad-1's press release tonight has got the bookies muttering and are now worried about his status as favourite.

With Nickbrad now revealing his build as being something scratchbuilt he nudges himself into the lead.

Paul

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Now the only problem is trying to clear the decks before the 1st :lol:

On the bright side I have got more done then I have for weeks so it's working already

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:57 am

So, the race contenders now appear to be in the marshaling yard. Are we still under starter's orders?

Every artisan with glue is here.
Everyone who wants to view is here.
What a smashing, positively dashing,
Twenty Fifteen February Kit Build fray!

:lol: V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:03 am

skyblue wrote:I've also looked at the Airfix starter sets but I don't really want to do one of them.

To be honest skyblue i've tried building an airfix kit wagon. They do not go together like they are suppose to. The kits are not made properly so literally impossible to complete (unless you just bodge them...even fettling is an understatement.) It was a cattle wagon and where there should have been holes for the opening doors top flaps on the side there were none. Not tooled properly at all so I would be hesitant to even consider them.
I will mention that this was the wagon...
I don't know wether they upgraded or updated the kit to be able to be built to thier instructions, fixing all the things wrong with the kit.
I cannot comment on other wagon kits as I have not tried them.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 pm

End2end wrote:
skyblue wrote:I've also looked at the Airfix starter sets but I don't really want to do one of them.

To be honest skyblue i've tried building an airfix kit wagon. They do not go together like they are suppose to. The kits are not made properly so literally impossible to complete (unless you just bodge them...even fettling is an understatement.) It was a cattle wagon and where there should have been holes for the opening doors top flaps on the side there were none. Not tooled properly at all so I would be hesitant to even consider them.
I will mention that this was the wagon...
I don't know wether they upgraded or updated the kit to be able to be built to thier instructions, fixing all the things wrong with the kit.
I cannot comment on other wagon kits as I have not tried them.
Thanks
End2end

I'm not sure that was what was meant, but either way, I agree with both of you! the Airfix starter kits are basic at best from what I've seen (As far as I known I've never done one, ging straight from those laser cut wooden aeroplane kits to skill level 3 airfix kits I kinda passed them by!) but I have had a go with a couple of old airfix wagon kits which ween't great. I suppose if it's a box van it might be worth having it as a grounded body, but the chassis were dreadful - and glue together axles - who's bright idea was that! Mine still had 15p or whatever written on the box, probably still worth that today!

Geoff's build is indeed worrying, I believe models taken abroad for competitions Geoff? Eek! Beginning to suspect I've been somewhat ambitious with comments on my thread so far, but I've posted now, so I'll have to do it!

Anyway, participation is looking good, still plenty of time to throw your hat into the ring if you're interested though, should be a good competition. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:44 am

I have decided to enter, I have posted a topic, but I will not say what until 1st Feb, due to other on going projects, could be between 2 - 3 projects one which was started several months ago, and never posted, and a couple of more normal projects.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 am

Ok, I'll have a go as well. This little Czech 760mm wagon in TTe...

http://www.dk-model.cz/web/index.php?pa ... =1&lang=cs

Thread link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47268

Return to “Competitions”