NRM Single Line Terminus Challenge.

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.

Postby 60007 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:52 pm

thanks headshot.

am I right in thinking that the station can't be longer than 72cm? or the whole thing itself? e.g tunnels where the train enters/exits?

I'm a little confused with the rules
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:28 pm

I've read it as the whole scenic baseboard can't be more than 36" long or 12" wide (91.4cm by 30.5cm) and fiddle yard no larger than a 3 car DMU. Assuming a 3 car Lima class 117 is the max length unit you have then you would need a minimum 32" fiddle yard to fit. Bachmanns class 158/159 is 12" per car, so a 3 car unit would require at least 36" of fiddle yard, but I would hazard a guess that this would only be permissible if it fit the era of the layout and you actually intend to use one :wink:

Just for a little assistance, I've measured up a few OO DMUs that I have ready to hand.

Bachmann 2 car 108 - 19 inches (49cm)
Bachmann 2 car 158/159 - 24 inches (61cm)
Hornby 3 car 110 - 29 inches (74cm)
Lima 3 car 117 - 32 inches (81cm)

Does anyone have the lengths of steam outline stock handy?

Hope this helps anyone who needs to figure out train lengths. :D

Postby 60007 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Zunnan wrote:
Does anyone have the lengths of steam outline stock handy?

Hope this helps anyone who needs to figure out train lengths. :D

Thanks alot Zunnan :D You've helped me loads

As they say, one good trn deserves another.

The hornby website says the LNER teaks are 247mm

GWR Rest'nt Carmen cream are about 242mm

LMS 3RD class corridor 242mm

for more info

http://www.hornby.com/brands/
I think on this link you'll find out most of the of the measurments you need :wink:
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!

clagmasterdom

Postby clagmasterdom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:07 pm

cardiff bay line would be good to model i reckon
Cheers have fun Dom

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:28 pm

So it's just one line? terminating? can anyone answer that one? :lol:

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 am

I'll tentatively put my name down for entry. I've got a couple of ideas. It'll be a case of finances to see if I go ahead with them or not.

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I'll tentatively put my name down for entry too. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time for this!

Matty

Postby Matty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Put my name down please. I have a good idea..
I like cheese

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 pm

I've been told that my physio will take up to a year on my arm, the muscles took a real bashing and I can't lift heavy boards at the moment.

If it is OK, I wish to enter 'Routes End 2' and I will submit a new set of photos to Karl after it has done its debut exhibition at Ipswich Transport Museum on 12 April.

Many thanks,

Dave

cantmodelwontmodel

Postby cantmodelwontmodel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:50 pm

I might have a go at this but can i clarify one thing from the op I understood it to mean one track i.e. no points or sidings so basically creating a branch terminus on a " one engine in steam" basis

Some posts mention track layouts I assume this is not a reference to any sidings ?
Ed

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56 pm

cantmodelwontmodel wrote:I might have a go at this but can i clarify one thing from the op I understood it to mean one track i.e. no points or sidings so basically creating a branch terminus on a " one engine in steam" basis

Some posts mention track layouts I assume this is not a reference to any sidings ?

Exactly that - one platform only with one track, you can however have any number of tracks before you approach the platform, but only one track in the platform.

Dave

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

piermaster wrote:If it is OK, I wish to enter 'Routes End 2' and I will submit a new set of photos to Karl after it has done its debut exhibition at Ipswich Transport Museum on 12 April.

So our entry doesn't have to be built specifically for the challenge? Though I'd have to build something anyway.

piermaster wrote:You can however have any number of tracks before you approach the platform, but only one track in the platform.

We could have sidings or a run around loop before the station? I thought it was just one piece of track with no points, crossings, turntables or anything.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:51 pm

zabdiel wrote:
piermaster wrote:If it is OK, I wish to enter 'Routes End 2' and I will submit a new set of photos to Karl after it has done its debut exhibition at Ipswich Transport Museum on 12 April.

So our entry doesn't have to be built specifically for the challenge? Though I'd have to build something anyway.
This is only a request from me because following my accident in which I broke both bones of my lower right arm, had two nights in hospital and a 4-hour op to insert two steel plates into my arm, I am undergoing a year-long physio programme, because my arm and damage to wrist muscles prevent me from building any layouts.

piermaster wrote:You can however have any number of tracks before you approach the platform, but only one track in the platform.

We could have sidings or a run around loop before the station? I thought it was just one piece of track with no points, crossings, turntables or anything.
Try and keep it simple, you don't have a lot of space and even less time to build it.

Please refer to my answers in italics above. I wish I never opened my mouth!!!!

Dave

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:24 pm

piermaster wrote:Try and keep it simple, you don't have a lot of space and even less time to build it.

You're right 1st June isn't long. Whether I'll manage to make anything remains to be seen.

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Dependant on myself and Piermasters decision we may extend the competition.[/u]

Return to “Competitions”