Heljan's Improved Class 33/0

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GeraldH

Heljan's Improved Class 33/0

Post by GeraldH »

Heljan released an improved version of their Class 33/0, a little while ago, which apparently has a better roof profile and a few more details on the bogies etc.. I'm still having issues with the wrong height NEM pockets on my original Heljan Class 33/0 and wondered whether the improved 33/0 has corrected NEM pockets at the right height? If so, perhaps the new pockets fit on the old bogies and could be ordered as spares allowing the use of standard (non-cranked) couplings? Does anyone here have the new Class 33/0 and can they confirm if this is the case? Thank you.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
SRman

Re: Heljan's Improved Class 33/0

Post by SRman »

My experience with almost all of my Heljan diesels is that the coupling pockets tend to droop anyway, so using standard, straight couplings actually fixes the problem, and places the coupling loops at the correct height to couple up smoothly with other stock.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

SRman wrote:My experience with almost all of my Heljan diesels is that the coupling pockets tend to droop anyway, so using standard, straight couplings actually fixes the problem, and places the coupling loops at the correct height to couple up smoothly with other stock.
Thank you. I was hoping that the new Class 33 might follow an apparent trend with NEM sockets on Heljan's later models. E.g. the Class 23 Baby Deltic has an excellent, solid, NEM socket at the correct height and the Class 16 also has a socket at more or less the correct height.

The pockets on my original Heljan 33's may not be as droopy as some of the earlier ones and so a cranked coupling appears to be the only option. Due to my tight curves, I need a medium sized cranked couplings. Replica Railways make them, but their hooks are too thin for the gap in the coupling moulding, causing the hooks to flop around and not lift correctly on uncoupling ramps.

The really weird thing is that Heljan still seem to be supplying cranked couplings on their later models, which have the correct height pockets! :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

You could make up a cranked coupling of the length you want by using the prong part, that fits into the NEM mount, cut off one couplings and the loop and hook cut off other (both with a appropriate length of the shank) and glue/pin/bolt them together to make the offset needed - if not enough add a piece of packing from an appropriately thick piece of plastic. Not actually done it with tension locks but works fine with Kadees to make them fit wrongly sited NEM mounts.
End2end

Post by End2end »

SRman wrote:My experience with almost all of my Heljan diesels is that the coupling pockets tend to droop anyway, so using standard, straight couplings actually fixes the problem, and places the coupling loops at the correct height to couple up smoothly with other stock.
Can I ask for a part number for the standard, straight couplings please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread