Heljan wheels

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
andrewk

Heljan wheels

Postby andrewk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I don't understand the logic behind Heljan's model design. On the one hand they apparently (so I have frequently read) produce one of the best running diesel loco chassis. On the other hand they use stupidly small wheels in their 6 wheel loco bogies, wheels are thin with very small flanges. This makes them extremely difficult to rail.
Either one aims to produce good runners in which case the wheels don't work or one targets the collector with ultimate model accuracy but in that case why waste money on a good drivetrain for what is a static display market.

Bufferstop

Re: Heljan wheels

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

I think you will find that Heljan's wheels are closer to scale than some other brands. As long as it holds the track once all wheels are properly seated what you need is a rerailing tool like this.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Thin wheels and small flanges are a refinement.
I'd prefer thin wheels that don't short out on Peco insulated frogs. I've had to paint
the wheels on the tender of my Railroad Black5 as it was almost impossible to run
through a series of points at slowish speed.
Flange height - good well laid track with larger radius curves shouldn't be a problem.
Poor track a different story as I found with Dapol wagons. They kept on derailing on
a section of the old club layout where the track was poor, yet Hornby didn't. When
measured the Hornby flanges were 40% deeper. Given good track I'd again prefer
the smaller flanges .....
Nothing suits everybody !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 pm

i have the Peco one and its worth its weight in gold! such a useful tool especially with tender engines -you slot the tab of it between the rails and the train simply slides down it perfectly onto the rails :D

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm

The loose middle wheels drive me crazy when trying to put the loco on the tracks!!!! I bought a railer and it relieves the frustration perfectly :)
All Aboooooard !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Cannot say I have ever had any difficulty railing Heljan OO product. Examples of classes 15, 23, 26/27/33, 35, 47, Lion, Falcon, DP2 have all visited my layout at various times, mostly a couple of friend's locos getting a good long run to loosen them up, since their owners layouts were and are short end to end types. Very reliable, smooth running with ample traction, no tendency to derail, what's the problem?

The only trouble I had with Heljan was that for years they avoided the loco subjects that were useful to me, but they have started to come good of late. Now if they could just be persuaded to do the class 21 that Dapol have announced but are showing zero progress on...

When Heljan first entered the UK market they got a pretty rapturous reception from modellers. Here was a product with a good heavy centre motor drive that ran beautifully, and looked very well. The collectors? I have no idea what they think; at the time that Heljan entered the OO market they were still engaged in buying yet another poorly performing Tractor or Duff now available in Freight Rail's Womble Depot refuse operation livery with the Uncle Bulgaria mascot, correct for 19th to 23rd February 1989.

andrewk

Postby andrewk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Bufferstop, thanks for that, looks like a rerailer is exactly what I need, struggling for 5 to 10 mins to rail a Heljan makes one give up and reach for an old trusty Hornby.

Return to “Heljan”