Heljan 26 class - year of manufacture?????

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Heljan 26 class - year of manufacture?????

Post by GWR_fan »

Reading a thread on the 26 class, members caution that early production has brass wheelsets and to purchase later versions that have newer manufactured wheels fitted. How does one determine if an earlier brass wheel model or the later version? I am looking at a Dutch livery 26 class and hattons and another dealer have them at 'low' prices around GBP50.00 while another popular box shifter has them on sellout at a much higher figure (50% higher). Is price an indication of age or model number as all models are new stock? If model number, then would a numerically higher model number for the same livery indicate a later version?

I mistakenly purchased a class 35 with brass wheels and do not wish a repeat.

Tim
Pennine MC

Re: Heljan 26 class - year of manufacture?????

Post by Pennine MC »

Is price an indication of age or model number
Only in a very broad sense; Hattons and other box shifters seem to have a fairly quick turnover on Heljan locos in particular, with various 26s, 27s and 33s having been available at £50 or less for some time. AFAIK the Dutch one, being based on the refurb body shell, is a late enough release to have the better wheels, but if in any doubt, perhaps a quick phone call or e-mail before ordering?
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Ian,
many thanks.

Tim
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

set of silver wheels can be had for about £10 from Howes if you get an old brasso model.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Thankyou. Obviously I would prefer to avoid an early model.

Tim
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I believe they just increment catalogue numbers as later versions are produced, but not knowing what the class 26 catalogue numbers started from, that doesn't help much.

I have one 'brass' wheeled Heljan, (a class 27 so the same chassis as the 26) and never any trouble with the wheels collecting dirt. But bear in mind that plastic wheels and traction tyres are not permitted on my layout; with the major sources of track dirt eliminated, there isn't much to collect anywhere and cause trouble.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Eliminating sources of rail contamination plus regular use is certainly of benefit to brass wheels. The brass oxide coating is an insulating material so irregularly used brass wheeled locomotives are going to suffer oxidation irrespective of rail contaminants. Obviously though a clean railhead is certainly going to help the issue. The amount of copper in the mix is also a contributing factor. The more copper present the better the conductivity, however, the downside is a greater degree of oxidation. Lima wheels are a glaring example. Plating should be a requirement but then plating is only a temporary fix.

In largescale brass is commonly used on rolling stock wheels. I have received some stock that the wheel tread was crystalline with oxidation requiring extensive scrubbing with a wire brush to remove.

Tim
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Hattons were also heavily discounting their Heljan 47s. I bought one recently and it had the newer wheels on it. Like Bigmet though, I don't have much problem with the older Heljan wheels and mine is an outdoor layout. I think the fuss over the older wheels is a bit overhyped to be honest. If you keep your track clean, then your wheels will stay clean too!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

It is not simply a matter of 'clean rails'. A brass wheeled locomotive will oxidise just sitting in its box (Lima are classics for this). Constant operation would reduce the oxidation. A quick cleanup will get the loco running but I would prefer to avoid this 'irritation' with better quality wheelsets. At present there are a spate of 'cheap' Heljan locomotives on eBay, but without clear and concise knowledge of which models have 'inferior' wheels then I will avoid them.

Tim
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I have three Heljan class 33s , two of which are wheeled with the later type of wheelsets. I have to say the amount of dirt picked up by either type of wheel old or new seems to be fairly consistent. I am well aware of the oxidisation process, probably more so than anyone else since my railway is an outdoor one. After a few days without running, the nickel silver rail turns a brassy brown colour though oxidisation. I use a mild abrasive rubber called Garryflex which is similar to a Peco track rubber but three times the size and lasts ages. The extra fine version is also excellent at polishing loco wheels.

It is sadly a fact of life that dirt on either wheels or rails will always be a problem to us modellers and no matter how "irritating" it can be there is very little one can do to stamp it out completely.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!