Heljan 'dogfish' ballast waggons

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Heljan 'dogfish' ballast waggons

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:52 am

I have acquired a rake of dogfish ballast waggons (12 off) in 'Dutch' livery. What would be a typical locomotive to haul such a rake and suggestion as to the livery? Would a 'shark' ballast guards van be used in the set?

Tim

stuartp

Re: Heljan 'dogfish' ballast waggons

Postby stuartp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Pretty much any vac-braked loco assigned to or available for engineering duty could be used, you don't need to have one in Dutch livery to match. In fact the golden rule of 1980s engineering trains is that no two vehicles should match exactly even if nominally identical. 31s, 37s, Peaks, 47s, in BR blue, Dutch, Railfreight etc. I can't recall seeing any IC-livered locos used on engineering jobs but I've no doubt they were from time to time. Check out books and Flickr for prototype photos.

You need a Shark if they are actually tipping, otherwise they would usually run without a brake as Dogfish were vac-fitted. (I believe some were air-braked later but lets not complicate things to much just yet). If you have a Shark it can either go on the end or in the middle, unlike a conventional goods brake they were positioned for the engineers' convenience and putting them in the middle smoothed the ride out a bit.

This isn't quite what you're looking for as there are a couple of bogie hoppers in there too, and there's obviously some brake incompatability somewhere as it is running partially fitted, but it's what's on my hard drive at the moment ! The loco is a Departmental 97 (ex 45 I think), the Shark is immediately behind the loco (it's finished tipping and has just run round, it would have been at the back for the actual tipping job) and there is an ordinary traffic brake van (BR 20 tonner) on the end to take care of the unfitted wagons. The date is 1988, at Penistone, and there are a couple of Dutch liveried Dogfish in there.
Penistone 1988 a.jpg
Penistone 1988 a.jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Stuart,
many thanks.

Tim

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I have acquired a rake of dogfish ballast waggons (12 off) in 'Dutch' livery. What would be a typical locomotive to haul such a rake and suggestion as to the livery? Would a 'shark' ballast guards van be used in the set?
Tim

what era are you planning for them - as they were around from the mid 50's onwards - starting off in plain black overall - then olive green in the 60s - indiscernable muck in the 70's and 80's with the wagons often still being in the 50s livery....
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Pete,
the dogfish waggons are in 'Dutch' livery, so I assume that they represent the 1980's onwards.

Tim

6C

Postby 6C » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 am

Ahh righto Tim - I ended up giving a potted history !

I made some from the rather fiddly Cambrian kit version - they got all black to go with the era I am modelling...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “Heljan”