Class 14

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Re: Class 14

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:04 am

Try a Lenz silver or a Zimo. Heljans are notorious for cooking chips. Perhaps they should rename them Tefal? :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:34 am

If you do get a new chip watch out for the size of it! There is not allot of room

With my class 14 it killed a chip - the problem was the pins went through the socket and made contact with the metal underneath :evil: the solution was to remove the socket and place electrical tape under it before putting it back - this stopped the pins from shorting on the metal

My chip is a GM one but is slightly larger then yours - but it is covered whereas yours is not so you might want to try lining the gap where you place the chip to make sure it is not touching any metal parts which could also be causing the issues

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:45 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Try a Lenz silver or a Zimo. Heljans are notorious for cooking chips. Perhaps they should rename them Tefal? :lol:

I'd chosse a Lenz standard+ instead of the silver. It has the same motor drive capability of the silver but is cheaper. Unless you need the extra functions that the silver (or gold) has, it's more economical to use the standard+.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

Rog (RJ)

RichRG7

Postby RichRG7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks chaps for the advice. Contacted Hattons and tested a few other chips I have knocking about and it looks as if the loco is dodgy, so Hattons advised to send back for a replacement. Always helpful and courteous.

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I recieved this gem for Christmas, the head codes were already fitted and no code sheet came with it so I can't change it but that's fine as the codes fit with the loads it will pull. The lighting works great under low voltage on DC with no flickering present, I just had no idea how fragile it was- It's safer not to touch it at all.
Thanks all for the advice
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Glad you're pleased with, it really is a charming little model.

Return to “Heljan”