Class 52 Western

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Class 52 Western

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 am

OK, I know the 52 class has been out for many years but what masochistic designer came up with the ridiculous method to secure the headcode. Thinking I was finally finished putting headcodes in their respective boxes, I was pressing the final clear cover down to secure it when ping!!! off it went to God. For around thirty minutes I crawled around the floor on my hands and knees trying to find it but alas, it is now in that land where parts go never to be found again.

Surely, the designer could have either provided spare lenses or at least designed a better setup. I made a 'temporary' cover from clear shirt box material that hopefully will do the job for the moment. I really cannot ever envisage getting a replacement cover.

An expensive, beautiful, smooth running mechanism spoiled by a shoddy headcode cover design. At least the Hymek had a larger cover and this presented no problem. With the pathetic dim light behind the headcode is it really worth the trouble of those tiny covers?

Tim

trainlover23

Re: Class 52 Western

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 am

The dim lights are prototypical for the 52s as the high intensity lights did not appear until the 1990s. All diesel engines of this era should have dim lights

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:08 pm

The lighting on earlier Heljan releases such as the class 52 only comes into it's own when running on DCC. Although the lights are still quite dim, they are always on at full voltage when switched on using DCC function 0. To get the benefit of the headcode lghts on DC, the loco has to be run at full pelt otherwise thay are next to useless. Heljan went over to using LEDs in later models such as the Baby Deltic, Kestrel, Falcon & Lion and whilst these are a lot brighter, they do not look as effective as incandescent bulbs as they are too bright and too white! Just goes to show you can't win em all!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 am

But presumably the LEDs can be turned down on DCC? Will have to wait for the original Baby Deltic to appear to find out. (The two stroke 'motorbike' loco.)

I agree completely that for early BR diesels, the incandescent bulb Heljan have used in the past actually gives a fine effect, especially with DCC. That's what early BR diesels had, a couple of 60W bulbs behind headcodes was typical, and quite often one was blown for an uneven appearance. The lighting should look feeble.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 am

Bigmet wrote:But presumably the LEDs can be turned down on DCC? Will have to wait for the original Baby Deltic to appear to find out. (The two stroke 'motorbike' loco.)

I agree completely that for early BR diesels, the incandescent bulb Heljan have used in the past actually gives a fine effect, especially with DCC. That's what early BR diesels had, a couple of 60W bulbs behind headcodes was typical, and quite often one was blown for an uneven appearance. The lighting should look feeble.

Yes, the leds can be dimmed on most DCC decoders but even when dimmed a "daylight" white led gives the impression of a flourescent tube behind the head code panel which just doesn't look right.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am

I anticipate a use for either or both of the deep yellow theatrical lighting gel and 'continental headlight' paint I have stashed away. Made a large improvement to the Bach 47 and 55 which as supplied have a 'much too white' effect in the lighting, just as you describe.

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 am

GWR_fan wrote:...what masochistic designer came up with the ridiculous method to secure the headcode...

The same masochistic designer who designed the same loco to have sprung buffers using a mechanism located directly behind the buffer beam exactly where a chain coupling hook would thread through, thereby preventing the fitting of chain couplings.

The same masochistic designer who designed the same loco to have brake rigging that couldn't be fitted to anything other than a showcase loco which doesn't go round curves - even on my 5 foot radius curves, the supplied parts prevent the bogies from moving.

As someone said elsewhere, nice model and great motor, but typical Heljan with lots of niggly faults.

Return to “Heljan”