Heljan Class 35 Hymek. Any good?

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Phipps

Re: Heljan Class 35 Hymek. Any good?

Postby Phipps » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:11 pm

SRman wrote:The old Triang one was a 1966 release and, while definitely not as good as the Heljan one, it has actually stood the test of time reasonably well. I have one with the original non-ringfield motor bogie style which I have double-motored, through-wired, converted to DCC and detailed up a bit with separate handrails and horns (later Hornby ones already have some of these) and brass etched fan and grille fitted.

With eight-wheel drive and electrical pickup it runs nearly as smoothly as, but a lot more noisily than, the Heljan offering.

"Why put all that work in?", you ask. Well, I already had the Hymek from years ago and a spare motor bogie. I picked up another non-working one at a swap meet for a few dollars and combined the two chassis to fit the two motor bogies. The most expensive bit was the etched brass radiator fan and grille. I was going to paint it blue with white windows and small yellow panels but then got brave and chose a fictional "might-have-been" livery of maroon with white window surrounds, pale grey roof and lower body stripe and red buffer beams.

I didn't know it had originated from 1966....
Given that factor, I apologise & take back my criticism

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:08 am

Here is a pic I took recently of my two Heljan Hymeks (in blue and green) and the detailed Triang one (in fictional maroon). While you can pick the Triang one from a few details, it doesn't stand out too obviously against the Heljan ones (IMHO).

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:38 am

It's a little known secret that a Tri-ang Hymek was my first ever loco which my parents bought for me in 1968 for my 8th Birthday.....everybody all together now..... Aaaaaah! :D :D
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:45 pm

I bet it still runs ok too :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:18 pm

In Maroon it's easier to see it's resemblance to its German first cousins. The blue would have looked a sight better if they'd painted the roof white and kept the lower body stripe. Cheapskates!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Bufferstop wrote:In Maroon it's easier to see it's resemblance to its German first cousins.

There is no resemblance, or shouldn't be anyway. It was the Warship that was scaled down from the V200; the Hymek was styled by a firm of design consultants.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 am

The lower body stripe/band does help the livery a bit - it disguises the rather tall sides on what is a fairly short locomotive.

During my livery experiments with the marron, I tried the light grey on the cab window surrounds as well, but that didn't quite work for me. I could have tried off-white for the lower band (like the original baby deltic livery) but I thought the grey worked well enough. By extension, and using the early blue electro-diesels (class 73/1) as an illustration, the early blue livery on the Hymek could have looked quite smart with both grey roof and grey lower stripe applied. The one thing most people seem to agree on is the first blue application to the Hymeks with small yellow panel and blue cab window surrounds looked absolutely dire! Swindon apparently agreed, as they subsequently applied the white cab window surrounds as per the model in my photo, which vastly improved the appearance. :)

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:58 am

'Maroon', not 'marron'! Sorry I can't edit to correct the typo. :oops:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Campaigner wrote:I bet it still runs ok too :)

Sadly no. It no longer exists. I used the power bogie to motorise a MTK SR 4-CIG unit in the mid 70s because the plastic Hymek chassis eventually disintegrated. The 4-CIG also bit the dust in a house move in the 90s
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Plastic! great innit :( those early triang worm drives might not be upto todays standards but they were almost indestructable, AND not bad runners. Unlike the evil thing that came after them.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:08 am

The blue one with the white window surrounds & a small yellow panel looks excellent.
Perhaps my favourite livery for this loco. Doesn't look as good with the later yellow or the earlier plain blue

steviesparx

Postby steviesparx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:32 am

Campaigner wrote:Plastic! great innit :( those early triang worm drives might not be upto todays standards but they were almost indestructable, AND not bad runners. Unlike the evil thing that came after them.

That worm drive bogie was / is indeed pretty indestructable, a sturdy little bit of engineering that cost a few bob back in the day. I have a few, even a 'new' one still in it's waxed paper. Got an Irish Railways Hymek in moulded orange too, not so many of those about I bet... A few of the regular blue Triang Hymeks popping up regular on Ebay though - I'm guessing they are turning up in lofts etc. and most have no interest in getting them going again.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:57 am

Campaigner wrote:Plastic! great innit :( those early triang worm drives might not be upto todays standards but they were almost indestructable, AND not bad runners. Unlike the evil thing that came after them.

My boxed Tri-ang Hymek, it came from the original Tri-ang man quite a while ago

My other Hymek, the twin motor, bash-up. Pulls more carriages than enough, and goes like a train. I have another Hymek, in Blue, but I haven't a photo of it.

Hymeks, one of the few diesels I actually like.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Barry Dawson

Postby Barry Dawson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Well, it has been over two years since I started this thread and I still haven't bought one. There was enough evidence in various forums to justify dressing up the Triang or Hornby thunderbuckets so I did this instead. I now have two green ones which I have converted to DCC, replaced and tricked up the trailing wheels so that they pick up current from all 4 wheels and added some extra weight. They perform well enough for my requirements. They also look acceptable enough For me as I am not a perfectionist or a rivet counter, I simply like tinkering with locos and rolling stock while others run around the layout.

I am in England for holidays in a couple of week and have planned a big day out to Sheffield without the cheese and kisses. How lucky am I?. The plan is to purchase a Hornby Class 60 Loadhaul livery, a green Dapol class 22 without head code boxes and a Heljan Class 27, not sure on the blue TOPS numbered or the green version yet but leaning towards the green without yellow ends

All the feedback found new railway modellers has provided enough confidence to back the Heljan and Dapolmodels as credible units that represent value for money and the Hornby class 60, as expensive as it is, as one of the better R2R models on the market.

Cheers...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

I hope you can find a Heljan class 27 in stock. The Heljan class 26 and 33 have exactly the same mechanism inside and are more available. Consistently very sweet running units, especially so since Heljan went over to nickel-silver wheelsets a good few years ago.

I recently indulged in a Heljan 26/0 and a couple of the baby deltics (class 23) all in 'as introduced into BR service' condition, and also have a pair of Heljan's class 15s (all these types were to be seen together early in the KX area dieselisation programme). They all run as sweetly as the Bachmann and Hornby diesel locos they run alongside, (classes 03, 08, 20, 24, 30, 40, 47, DP1, 55 the main performers) so that's the 'core cast' of Finsbury Park diesel loco allocations from 1960 - 62 in RTR form. Who'd a thunk it ten years ago, that all these types could be got with 'current best standard' RTR drives? And Hornby in third place in terms of items offered, just the 08 and 30, it's Bach and Heljan that have made the running.

Nothing to choose between these makes for operational performance, all are reliable, smooth and quiet, and the twin bogie units will all 'pull the side out of a house'. A good illustration of how quiet they all are is that I thought a Hornby 30 had a driveline problem, a quite intrusive 'ticking' noise, speed proportional in rate suddenly developed. Nothing to do with the drive at all, just a plastic sandpipe had slightly fallen and was dragging on the rail chairs. That was audible despite a half dozen running trains.

Return to “Heljan”