Heljan Class 35 Hymek. Any good?

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: Heljan Class 35 Hymek. Any good?

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Bigmet wrote:I hope you can find a Heljan class 27 in stock. The Heljan class 26 and 33 have exactly the same mechanism inside and are more available. Consistently very sweet running units, especially so since Heljan went over to nickel-silver wheelsets a good few years ago.

I recently indulged in a Heljan 26/0 and a couple of the baby deltics (class 23) all in 'as introduced into BR service' condition, and also have a pair of Heljan's class 15s (all these types were to be seen together early in the KX area dieselisation programme). They all run as sweetly as the Bachmann and Hornby diesel locos they run alongside, (classes 03, 08, 20, 24, 30, 40, 47, DP1, 55 the main performers) so that's the 'core cast' of Finsbury Park diesel loco allocations from 1960 - 62 in RTR form. Who'd a thunk it ten years ago, that all these types could be got with 'current best standard' RTR drives? And Hornby in third place in terms of items offered, just the 08 and 30, it's Bach and Heljan that have made the running.

Nothing to choose between these makes for operational performance, all are reliable, smooth and quiet, and the twin bogie units will all 'pull the side out of a house'. A good illustration of how quiet they all are is that I thought a Hornby 30 had developed a driveline problem, a quite intrusive 'ticking' noise, speed proportional in rate. Nothing to do with the drive at all, just a plastic sandpipe had slightly fallen and was dragging on the rail chairs. That was audible despite a half dozen other running trains.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Bigmet wrote:Nothing to choose between these makes for operational performance, all are reliable, smooth and quiet

I concur!! I DCC'd my Heljan Class 14 on Wednesday and you can barely if at all hear it running. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Strangely I could not edit my last post, but just to say I used a TCS M1-P1 decoder as the loco needed a small decoder and all lights are working with it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Barry Dawson

Postby Barry Dawson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:29 am

Nearly 3 years on since starting this topic and still no Heljan Hymek in the collection. My trip to Sheffield bsck in August saw me return with 2 Dapols, a maroon Western from Rails and an NBL Class 22 from Olivia's. Both are rippers, especially the 22. Sheffield didn't have much Heljan in stock and Olivia's had so much to choose from I regretted not bring more credit.

Dapol make sensational RTR diesels, I could post something in the Dapol Forum but what is there already is representative of my observations.

Since then I have bought a Heljan Class 27 Green with SYP on line from Olivias, brilliant sevice. Again, was lining up a Hymek but as I my only 27 is a crappy old Lima converted to DCC I baulked.

As with other Heljans it is a high quality loco. No doubt there are some flaws compared to the real thing but that doesn't bother me, I have never seen the real thing. Towing power is excellent, speed control with a top notch decoder allows realism. As usual it takes a bit of juice to get going and the lighting, although weak is probably more representative of the prototype. Like my other Heljans it is a rock solid runner that very very rarely derails. It handles insulfrogs points, radius 2 curves and incines without any stalling or cramping.

The cons are no room for a driver without chopping it in half, getting the drivers cab out is tricky anyway and the type of decoder to fit is limited. I am steadily building up my collection of locos fitted with DCC Concepts Zen Decoders but these sit too proud in Heljans and the body shell doesn't fit back on.

The other minor irritation is the way the driving lights operate with the bulb transferring light through/onto a piece of plastic. When they fall out they are a bugger to securely put back in.

Other than that prices are a bit on the high side but for the level of detail, DCC functions and quality of finish we now demand I can live with it, just means a longer time between purchases.

My next purchase will definitely be a Hymek.....famous last words

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm

The cement Heljan use to secure plastic parts is usually only applied in modest quantity, and so far I have found that parts like cab interiors 'snap out' cleanly; once you have found the point at which to apply the force! That's the tricky bit.

Sure you will enjoy the Hymek when you make a purchase. I get an occasional look at one with a friend who I see every couple of years. It was a pretty exterior styling treatment, and the Heljan model really 'gets it'; one of their classiest productions.

Runs like the 27, never looked inside as he is a DC man. There is no doubt about it, the centre motor, both bogies driven chassis for twin bogie traction is a runaway winner for performance. Developed for North American HO several decades ago and well proven, 'everyone' in the business has a good design. The challenge for me is having the steamers run equally well...

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:33 pm

I picked up one last year Barry. Id even had a big cull of diesels I didn't think were essential but resisted until about Sept time, then thought "Ach, what the hell, why not?"
Got D7040 in blue with the white window framework & small yellow panel.
It is a pure work of art & will be a fictional preservation loco.
Absolutely love it, so much so I bought D1013 Western Ranger as a companion.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I hear people accolading their motive power for its silent running.
Because I always tend to be different, many if mine growl around the track, and I love that. In the absence of artificial sound generators, it doesn't sound too bad. After all, it is a noisy, grimy old diesel.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:51 pm

I suppose that depends on the growl being part of the normal gear chain sounds, rather than an indication that something is wearing out! :D

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:06 am

Going back to Barry's post about fitting a driver to the 27; I've just done my two and had the same misgivings about getting the cabs out. I found quite by accident (the accident being that I knocked one of the plastic light bars out) that with the light bars removed, the cabs come out fairly easily, more or less straight up once you've released the glue. I've got some dental tools courtesy of my daughter in law that are ideal for this. I decided to put cab lights in while I was at it and it makes a nice difference.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:39 am

NakatsuHime wrote:I hear people accolading their motive power for its silent running.
Because I always tend to be different, many if mine growl around the track, and I love that. In the absence of artificial sound generators, it doesn't sound too bad...

With a large fully ballasted scenic section, the trains - which are full size, up to 14 coaches/60 wagons - make most of the noise; just the metal wheels on rails, including those of the clearly heavier locos. I find that quite enough, and a friend with sound equipped locos is regularly disappointed that I turn them down really low, so the unrealistic sound from the speaker doesn't drown out the naturally produced nice clickety clack and rumble-rumble from the wheels...

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi,
Despite being a Continental/American enthusiast for many years, I have remained true to the BR Western region with some things and retained several of my Hydraulics, although I did sell some of them. At one point I must have had seven of these fine models!
I've had one more or less since they were first introduced to the UK market and it held it's own against one of my better US H0 locos! That loco has now been P4'd as the original brass wheels were one of its few downsides.
Since Heljan introduced the (nickel?) wheels, I find they run like a dream and are still one of the best diesels Heljan have ever made.
Cheers,
John E.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:14 am

I've just purchased a Heljan Hymek, the BR blue version with white cab windows.

It is one of the few brand new models I've bought, and it's lovely and quiet. I've not a Hornby Hymek to make comparisons with, but those I've seen, the molding is obviously sharper.

As with all new Heljan models, its bufferbar is nicely detailed, and I'm very happy with it. :)

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:22 am

Just reviving this old topic to show off just how quiet and powerful the Heljan Hymeks (and other classes with the same basic design of mechanism) are.

I have recently been upgrading a Hornby Hogwarts Castle with a hard-wired DCC decoder (TCS M1) and headlamps and firebox flicker. The electrical pickups are still a little dodgy but I sent it around with its train for a few circuits. It mostly ran well but just occasionally stuttered and stalled once ... in the middle of the tunnels! I was videoing it at the time to show off the lighting effects when it staled, so I decided I could show off just how prodigious the Heljan loco's haulage power is. The Hymek pushed Hogwarts Castle and train out with the steam engine's wheels locked. Once I got the wheels turning again, the Hymek anchored the train so the Castle just slipped. The Hymek then hauled the whole lot backwards against the pull of the Castle. All of the movements in the video (to be posted shortly when it has uploaded) were basically controlled by the Hymek.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:09 am

There's no edit button in this topic, so here's the video in a new post.

While doing this to Hogwarts Castle may seem a bit cruel, it did help clean and polish the wheels after some years of inactivity! Incidentally, even after I have altered the internal weight arrangement, the Castle is not exactly a slouch at hauling a reasonable load, in spite of how easily the Hymek overcomes it. :)

https://youtu.be/pXVrPU4A9eo

Return to “Heljan”