Heljan Lion

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
ERMick

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby ERMick » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Bigmet wrote:Monochrome pictures especially if sourced from BRCW and taken for advertising purposes, may well look exagerated: the style of photography known as 'high key' was in vogue in the early 60s, it is relatively easy in monochrome to expose, develop and print to accentuate the brightness of a well lit light toned object against its' surroundings.

That could well explain Lion's appearance in those photos then, thank you so much for that, very interesting.

Bosstang

Postby Bosstang » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 pm

There are some good shots of the Lion on this little vid on youtube, it was taken on the day of Lions departure for mainline testing and the days prior to that when it was on static test at BC&WC works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW9-s_J53N8

It was originally shot on "cine super8" film, hence no sound.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri May 13, 2011 10:59 am

I got a message back from Howes who seem to confirm that Heljan won't be bothering to produce a spare undetailed bufferbeam for those of us who'd rather not hack bits off their models,just to enable them to haul AND negotiate bends/points etc.Looks like I'll just have to get busy with my knife blade or remove my bufferbeam altogether when pulling coaches & replacing it after use..............
TBH,I won't bother with any future new releases by them,if detailing is going to be factory-fitted :roll:

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

That's a rediculous attitude by Heljan. How do they expect us to haul a train with it if you can't use the couplings? Or are we supposed to run it light engine all the time?

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I couldn't bring myself to part with money for Lion as it just looked too 'odd' for my liking, but Heljan do seem to have a curious abilty of shooting themselves in the foot with some of their releases, unless their intention is the collectors market where Falcon, Kestrel, Lion and the other prototypes will never turn a wheel.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue May 31, 2011 5:44 pm

With a bit of gentle effort involving delicate fingers & the tip of my blunt knife,I managed to successfully remove all the bufferbeam detail at both ends.Having committed my act of sacrilege,in actual fact it wasn't too difficult to remove the fittings & none needed cutting off,merely just poking through.If I ever had to re-apply them to the beams,they should go on without any trouble.
Crucially,Lion will go around bends & even managed to swap from one line to another without any derailed coach bogies :D

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue May 31, 2011 5:52 pm

No means of editing :x so here's a pic taken today of the 1B21 end.....
You may just be able to pic out the residue paint on the beams,removed to enable the couplings to be fitted.It's the same at the other end,as this diesel will need to runaround a carraige rake & pull fom the other end.............

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:31 pm

I have to say, nice though the model is, the white on the bogies does make the loco look very "plasticky" and would benefit from a "dulling down" with some weathering powders. I have resisted buying Lion and this has allowed me to purchase the Bachmann 2-EPB which is awaiting delivery to Bambrough shed for work on the new Brinkfield branch line.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 pm

I have been able to resist no longer and as it's my Birthday on Wednesday I have treated myself to one of these beasts. So you can all look forward to videos of Lion whizzing round my garden when she's been run in and put through her paces!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Bet you wash your hands before you take it out of the box after taking the lid off! These are a beauty to behold, they really are, and look stunning pulling a long rake of maroon Mk1s.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm actually thinking of toning down the bogies a bit with a bit of graphite.... I'm a seasoned modeller D603.... white is way too clean!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 am

Metadyneman wrote:I'm actually thinking of toning down the bogies a bit with a bit of graphite.... I'm a seasoned modeller D603.... white is way too clean!

Well yes indeed, but its like nothing I'd seen before and sooo white and clean! Last thing you want is dirty paw prints on it, and its D605 BTW :wink:
Jim

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 am

Where I got D603 from I'll never know! :oops:

Hopefully my white Lion will be waiting for me on my return from holiday in Spain later today. :)

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:57 am

Do go too mad with the weathering though, as Lion was almost always kept in tip top condition. :wink:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am

Oh don't worry, I won't be weathering anything other than toning down the bogies just a weeny bit to reduce the rather unpainted plastic look!

Return to “Heljan”