Heljan Lion

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
User avatar
SRman
Posts: 876
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby SRman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 am

D605Eagle wrote:Damn it. I coudn't make my mind up...Lion or Kestrel. Sod it bought the pair! Now i AM in the dog house!


Don't forget to buy Falcon to complete the trio! :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
Phipps
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 pm

You'll have no regrets once you see both of 'em running. :wink:

User avatar
Essex2Visuvesi
Posts: 2357
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland!

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 pm

My boy saw the lion reveiw in RM magazine the other day and he said "cool one you paint yourself!"
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 pm

SRman wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Damn it. I coudn't make my mind up...Lion or Kestrel. Sod it bought the pair! Now i AM in the dog house!


Don't forget to buy Falcon to complete the trio! :twisted: :twisted:

Well I would, but they are all weathered, and heljans weathereing looks dreadfull. If somebody can tell me a fairly safe way of removing the weathering, I'll buy one and get in even more trouble! My motto..... in for a penny, in for ten grand! :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Campaigner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: West Yorks

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Campaigner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:59 am

There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?

User avatar
Campaigner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: West Yorks

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Campaigner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:19 am

The Albino has landed :D

User avatar
Splop.
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Was West Bromwich, now living in Tipton

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Splop. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:09 am

Nice one. 8)

I'm a steam man by heart but Lion is rapidly becoming my favorite loco. Whether that's because the real one was built just down the road from me or not I don't know.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Campaigner wrote:There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?

Are there? I've only seen ones on ebay for silly money...

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Mine arrived yesterday, was missing a handrail which I found in thebottom of the box, I had to very carefully glue it in. Also it had a bit of a wobble when running, especially one way more than the other, but several hours of running in and it seems to have dissapered. On another forum the general consensus is tightness in the drivechain that is cause, not missmade wheels.
What a stunning looking model. Who else washed their hands befor handling? it? :lol: :lol:
Jim

User avatar
Campaigner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: West Yorks

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Campaigner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 am

D605Eagle wrote:
Campaigner wrote:There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?

Are there? I've only seen ones on ebay for silly money...


Rails of Sheffield have just listed 3 Falcons on ebay, all unweathered.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Campaigner wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:
Campaigner wrote:There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?

Are there? I've only seen ones on ebay for silly money...


Rails of Sheffield have just listed 3 Falcons on ebay, all unweathered.

Hvae you seen the price Rails stuff fetches on ebay? You can gaurentee it will fetch 20 or 30 quid more than anybody elses. Ramping?

User avatar
ERMick
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby ERMick » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:My boy saw the lion reveiw in RM magazine the other day and he said "cool one you paint yourself!"


Campaigner wrote:The Albino has landed :D


There's an article about the prototype in this month's Hornby Magazine and I'd swear the photos in it have been airbrushed, I mean, I know it's white, but those photos are almost ridiculous!

The shots are all (obviously) black and white, but Lion looks like a white cardboard cut-out that's been stuck onto them.

If anybody else has seen the article I'd be interested to know what you think as I'm intrigued as to the authenticity of those photos.

User avatar
Essex2Visuvesi
Posts: 2357
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland!

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 am

Sorry people I misinformed you! It was this months Hornby, Not Railway modeller as I said in the previous post :oops:

I hope no one went out and bought the wrong magazine.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Bigmet
Posts: 6017
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 am

ERMick wrote:... I'd swear the photos in it have been airbrushed, I mean, I know it's white, but those photos are almost ridiculous!

The shots are all (obviously) black and white, but Lion looks like a white cardboard cut-out that's been stuck onto them...

There are a good selection of colour pictures of Lion in operation taken quite independently of BRCW , and that provides evidence that it was kept remarkably clean; BRCW had travelling staff on it, who 'groomed it' as often as possible.

Monochrome pictures especially if sourced from BRCW and taken for advertising purposes, may well look exagerated: the style of photography known as 'high key' was in vogue in the early 60s, it is relatively easy in monochrome to expose, develop and print to accentuate the brightness of a well lit light toned object against its' surroundings.

User avatar
Phipps
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 pm

The only obvious difference is with the buffers.Rather predicably,these end up black,whereas the model's are white with an outline on the facings.Good thing from my POV is that I can use bog-standard black buffers on my kit & they won't look odd.


Return to “Heljan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest