Heljan Lion

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Phipps

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:35 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
Phipps wrote:Have a resin bodyshell to put on a Hornby chassis.Only problem came when spraying.I primed it first(used Halfords plastic primer),only for the Humbrol 34 white acrylic(applied after),to crack like an intricate spider's web all over.
Need to completely strip it & paint again.

Anyway,as SR Man points out,your railway so you can always come up with a solution & scenario that justifies.Mine's usually something being saved or preservation/resoration at a later date.

When you have stripped it clean, just use bogo standard primer, not the plastic type. That stuff is especially made for smooth unabsorbant plastics like bumpers so that paint will stick to it. A resin cast body is anything other than unabsorbant!

Thank you or the advice Eagle :) Just wish I'd asked about the primer a bit sooner,as this would've been finished now.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Just got one, brand new, for less than £80. Have been running it in on a test circuit on the kitchen table. Runs flawlessly, quiet from the box but quieter after running, no wobble whatsoever. It's only the second modern-standard Co-Co I own (a Vi-Trains 37 is the other) and I'm bloody impressed... even as a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the LNER and steam locomotives it's lovely to have a diesel that looks as well as it runs :D

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am

Like a proper berk, I have just recently had this clearing out/thinning down session whilst moving house & realised something....
I made the discovery that I must have sold my Lion model,having already housed my Kestrel at my old place for my son. I only have one Heljan box at my place (D5901 class 23).I did make a decent amount when I sold 3 storage cases of stock though, so despite switching to N gauge, I might grab one from Liverpool at £83.
As you say BlackMarlin,it is/was a good model.Mine originally was blighted by the famous "wobble" that so many examples suffered from & perhaps this is why I had let it go.But I won't be on a mission to claim everything back.
Just this, cos of its sheer presence.....

markh

Postby markh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 pm

I have one that i got for christmas, & finally ran it yesterday night at a social event with the WTHT on a small model railway & ran perfectly like Black martain said, quiet & smooth, its the only Heljan loco i have, but the only thing i see wrong is the amount of detail around the buffers, the 3 link couplings are well done, but i needed a tension lock coupling & after 5 mins of running with 5 hornby pullmans it pulled the coupling out, but i think thats down to the railway as its desgined for kids to play with,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Phipps wrote:Like a proper berk, I have just recently had this clearing out/thinning down session whilst moving house & realised something....
I made the discovery that I must have sold my Lion model,having already housed my Kestrel at my old place for my son. I only have one Heljan box at my place (D5901 class 23).I did make a decent amount when I sold 3 storage cases of stock though, so despite switching to N gauge, I might grab one from Liverpool at £83.
As you say BlackMarlin,it is/was a good model.Mine originally was blighted by the famous "wobble" that so many examples suffered from & perhaps this is why I had let it go.But I won't be on a mission to claim everything back.
Just this, cos of its sheer presence.....

I have tracked the "wobble" fault down to "out of centre" wheel sets. The wheels don't wobble horizontally they are actually off centre vertically so the axle is actually not truly in the centre of the wheel. The only cure is a complete change of wheels as I found out to my cost! I also sold my Lion last year when finances were a little tight but have since re purchased another example which happily doesn't suffer the "white machine wobble"!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 am

I've done the same, Jules, so here's hoping I get as lucky with this one from Hattons.
My first one came from Rails, so a different dealer might bring dividends.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 am

:D :D :D :D :D

cumiasin

Postby cumiasin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:51 am

hi everyone ..

just searching from google then I landed here (first post btw)

bought this heljan lion from ehattons bargain 1 week before and when arrived its have some defect .. anyone experience this in the past buying from ehattons or its just me because I'm buying from overseas?
I'm from Indonesia and sending back this item would takes time to England until they replaced with new one, another import tax, etc ..
:roll:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xMHcM9i.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CVAcKvA.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/H7j6cYL.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lo4EZOq.jpg[/img]

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 am

cumiasin wrote:hi everyone ..

bought this heljan lion from ehattons bargain 1 week before and when arrived its have some defect .. anyone experience this in the past buying from ehattons or its just me because I'm buying from overseas?
I'm from Indonesia and sending back this item would takes time to England until they replaced with new one, another import tax, etc ..

Alas,
not uncommon to receive damaged items from that store, particularly Heljan models. They have many detail parts added which do not survive the journey intact. What is the issue with your locomotive?

When posting an image on the site there is a link on the posting input page that is "Upload Attachment". Click on that and it will open your pictures folder on your computer. Select the image you wish to upload and then click on the "Add file" link. When all images are added then click on the "Submit" link. Keep images to around 120 kb each.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 am

cumiasin wrote:hi everyone ..

Alas,
not uncommon to receive damaged items from that store, particularly Heljan models. They have many detail parts added which do not survive the journey intact. What is the issue with your locomotive?

When posting an image on the site there is a link on the posting input page that is "Upload Attachment". Click on that and it will open your pictures folder on your computer. Select the image you wish to upload and then click on the "Add file" link. When all images are added then click on the "Submit" link. Keep images to around 120 kb each. Note that the image does not need to be hosted on a website to be able to upload to this site.

cumiasin

Postby cumiasin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:17 am

all detail parts intact and complete because I used DHL tracked and insured 3 days for £25

anyway here is the picture, I think its defect from their warehouse not in the shipping .. now I'm thinking they giving me second hand product not the new one

here is the picture

broken 11.jpg
broken 11.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

broken 22.jpg
broken 22.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

foil broken 11.jpg
foil broken 11.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

foil broken 22.jpg
foil broken 22.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:26 am

Previous overseas customers have commented on this site that items from the store seem to be returned/damaged items offloaded to international purchasers as new items.

cumiasin

Postby cumiasin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:50 am

GWR_fan wrote:Previous overseas customers have commented on this site that items from the store seem to be returned/damaged items offloaded to international purchasers as new items.

may I know the link? thanks

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am

I was unable to find the thread. It was several weeks ago. Basically, several posters commented that their 'new' item appeared to be returns to the store that UK buyers had returned as not up to standard. The items were then repackaged and onsold as new condition to international customers. One comment had dodgy wiring issues plus inappropriate amateur glue repairs. The items obviously were not ex-factory condition.

I do have my suspicions that the store in question is not the only dealer doing this.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 am

The thread with the 'antipodean dumping ground' (great memorable phrase to search on) is this one, it came up in the Hornby T9 chassis rot discussion: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48679&p=597725&hilit=returns#p597725

I wish there was some practical suggestion for a remedy. The best I can think of is for concerted action by a group of regular customers (whom the retailer's records will show are regular spenders) detailing the proportion of clearly sub-standard - suspect customer returned - items received. For comparison this in UK customer has mail ordered model railway goods steadily for the past 15 years (principally Bach, Heljan, Hornby) and the record for faulty as received stands at none. Hattons has had about half that business, I should guess at sixty locos, a few dozen coaches, hundreds of wagons from that source.

Return to “Heljan”