Heljan Lion

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
SRman

Re: Heljan Lion

Post by SRman »

D605Eagle wrote:Damn it. I coudn't make my mind up...Lion or Kestrel. Sod it bought the pair! Now i AM in the dog house!
Don't forget to buy Falcon to complete the trio! :twisted: :twisted:
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

You'll have no regrets once you see both of 'em running. :wink:
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

My boy saw the lion reveiw in RM magazine the other day and he said "cool one you paint yourself!"
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

SRman wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Damn it. I coudn't make my mind up...Lion or Kestrel. Sod it bought the pair! Now i AM in the dog house!
Don't forget to buy Falcon to complete the trio! :twisted: :twisted:
Well I would, but they are all weathered, and heljans weathereing looks dreadfull. If somebody can tell me a fairly safe way of removing the weathering, I'll buy one and get in even more trouble! My motto..... in for a penny, in for ten grand! :lol: :lol:
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

The Albino has landed :D
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

Nice one. 8)

I'm a steam man by heart but Lion is rapidly becoming my favorite loco. Whether that's because the real one was built just down the road from me or not I don't know.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Campaigner wrote:There are still some unweathered Falcons to be had :)

I decided to take the plunge and went online to RofSheffield. The website said they were back in stock, so I thought why not! The following morning I checked again and the price had gone up by £10. I've not had any confirmation emails from them so I'll wait and see if it arrives. :?
Are there? I've only seen ones on ebay for silly money...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Mine arrived yesterday, was missing a handrail which I found in thebottom of the box, I had to very carefully glue it in. Also it had a bit of a wobble when running, especially one way more than the other, but several hours of running in and it seems to have dissapered. On another forum the general consensus is tightness in the drivechain that is cause, not missmade wheels.
What a stunning looking model. Who else washed their hands befor handling? it? :lol: :lol:
Jim
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

D605Eagle wrote:

Rails of Sheffield have just listed 3 Falcons on ebay, all unweathered.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Campaigner wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:

Rails of Sheffield have just listed 3 Falcons on ebay, all unweathered.
Hvae you seen the price Rails stuff fetches on ebay? You can gaurentee it will fetch 20 or 30 quid more than anybody elses. Ramping?
ERMick

Post by ERMick »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:My boy saw the lion reveiw in RM magazine the other day and he said "cool one you paint yourself!"
Campaigner wrote:The Albino has landed :D
There's an article about the prototype in this month's Hornby Magazine and I'd swear the photos in it have been airbrushed, I mean, I know it's white, but those photos are almost ridiculous!

The shots are all (obviously) black and white, but Lion looks like a white cardboard cut-out that's been stuck onto them.

If anybody else has seen the article I'd be interested to know what you think as I'm intrigued as to the authenticity of those photos.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Sorry people I misinformed you! It was this months Hornby, Not Railway modeller as I said in the previous post :oops:

I hope no one went out and bought the wrong magazine.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

ERMick wrote:... I'd swear the photos in it have been airbrushed, I mean, I know it's white, but those photos are almost ridiculous!

The shots are all (obviously) black and white, but Lion looks like a white cardboard cut-out that's been stuck onto them...
There are a good selection of colour pictures of Lion in operation taken quite independently of BRCW , and that provides evidence that it was kept remarkably clean; BRCW had travelling staff on it, who 'groomed it' as often as possible.

Monochrome pictures especially if sourced from BRCW and taken for advertising purposes, may well look exagerated: the style of photography known as 'high key' was in vogue in the early 60s, it is relatively easy in monochrome to expose, develop and print to accentuate the brightness of a well lit light toned object against its' surroundings.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

The only obvious difference is with the buffers.Rather predicably,these end up black,whereas the model's are white with an outline on the facings.Good thing from my POV is that I can use bog-standard black buffers on my kit & they won't look odd.