Heljan Class 52

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Deltic006

Heljan Class 52

Postby Deltic006 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi

Does anybody know if the 'new' Heljan Westerns are to be re-tooled or the same as the last batch? If anybody has one of the 'old' westerns what was this like and how does it run on DCC?

I'm thinking of adding a Western to my fleet and wondered whether to wait or get an old on from flee bay.

Campaigner

Re: Heljan Class 52

Postby Campaigner » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Heljan don't seem to be into re-tooling things. :( I'm sure the next batch will be the same as the last. However I think I'd wait if I were you because I've found later loco's like Falcon and Kestrel seem to have better motors onboard.

I fitted some DCC chips into some of my Westerns to improve the slow running quality. Without the DCC I found them not as good as Bachmann for slow running. Very powerful yes! smooth,Yes and quiet Yes! but I noticed Falcon and Kestrel don't need the chip fitted to run well as slow speed.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 pm

I think I have a problem with my Falcon. Running from Cold it creeps round the track and takes about 4 minutes to gain full speed. When I stop it then re-start it there is a slight hum and it needs a gentle push to get it going. It's the later "weathered" version.

As for the Western re-run, I don't think this is a re-tooled model. My guess is Heljan have seen how popular these models have been and how much some have gone for on e-bay so have decided to cash in on a re-run to make up for the tooling error on the "nun's whimple" at the front end!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:28 am

Deltic006 wrote:Hi

Does anybody know if the 'new' Heljan Westerns are to be re-tooled or the same as the last batch? If anybody has one of the 'old' westerns what was this like and how does it run on DCC?

I'm thinking of adding a Western to my fleet and wondered whether to wait or get an old on from flee bay.

I have two of the 'old' Westerns and both run very well.
Superb on DCC, even better with sound: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/DCC%20Sound/DCCSoundClass52.aspx

In terms of haulage, I managed to put 56 coaches behind one of my Westerns. It still had more power!

You might want to fix up the brake gear like this: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/Rolling%20Stock/HeljanWesternBrakeGear.aspx

I suspect that the 'new' models will be a re-run rather than a re-tool.

Graham Plowman

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 am

Hi I am thinking of getting Western Fusilier in BR blue the only problem is my new layout Vac Lane currently set in 88 so modellers licence needed or changing to preserved or private depot.How good is the Western.It is a toss up between this and the 37 which is cheaper.However the Western is possibly IMHO probably one of the most handsome desighns and have loads of chrachter especialy with the twin maybachs.It is a shame more were not preserved :(
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:54 pm

It is the best OO model of the type so far. It also has a deficiency in appearance of the cab front according to those who know the prototype well. Likelihood of another manufacturer having a go at this class in the near future is pretty small: the Heljan model is probably good enough to satisfy most potential purchasers, and the prototype doesn't offer the possibility of large numbers of sectorisation and privatisation liveries. Yer pays yer money...

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi yes ive gone for the whizzo, im sure a touch of weathering on the roof will do something about the problem front end.Ive changed my period so it will fit in perfectly.Does anybody know is the loco going to be released with normal 4 character headcode panel or will it have the two white dots dominoes it carried i think for it's last few months in traffic.Certainly it worked a railtour on the ER with this headcode.
cheers
I

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:12 pm

They come without any headcodes fitted, a seperate sheet is included so you can choose your own.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Cheers Campaigner although i am a Vac fan i do love the Wessie great noise and they have got to be one of the most if not the most stylish Diesels ever built.I know you have loads of them from reading one of your posts.I would be very intersted if you could list yours and maybe some pics.Also is it easy to fit the headcodes or is it a nightmare.
cheers
I

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:13 pm

The headcodes are easy enough to fit, I struggle with some of the other bits though, like the windscreen wipers and train pipes. :evil:
This is an old pic from a few years ago when I still had a layout as opposed to a display cabinet :( these were all readily available at the time and could be bought very cheaply on ebay. I also bought some that were renumbered and weathered. OK the front is perfect, but I can live with it. :)

D0260

Postby D0260 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Were the Westerns released from production without any yellow panels, as I seem to recall, or did they come with a mix of small and full yellow ends?
Thanks

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 pm

D1039 Western King has been the only one so far without yellow ends, I think there's one currently on eBay.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun May 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Campaigner wrote:The headcodes are easy enough to fit, I struggle with some of the other bits though, like the windscreen wipers and train pipes. :evil:
This is an old pic from a few years ago when I still had a layout as opposed to a display cabinet :( these were all readily available at the time and could be bought very cheaply on ebay. I also bought some that were renumbered and weathered. OK the front is perfect, but I can live with it. :)

Now THATS what I call a propper wizzo fan's collection! very impressive indeed. IIRC they are doing a desert sand this time with small yellows? I could well be interested in that.
Notch 7 heaven :wink:

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Love the picture just look at the clagg HELLFIRE :D

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:49 am

Any chance that the blue Western forthcoming release will go down in price as i do not want to pay over £70 for a loco with such a bad error.That5 is of course if they do not sell out as i am betting Fusilier in blue will sell like hot cakes as it is one of the preserved engines.

Return to “Heljan”