Contact details for Heljan in the UK

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
martin_l_jones

Contact details for Heljan in the UK

Postby martin_l_jones » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Is there an email address apart from the Danish one ? :wink:
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

Peterm

Re: Contact details for Heljan in the UK

Postby Peterm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:22 am

These are the only contact details listed for Howes, who I think are the official Heljan dealers in the UK.

Howes Models
12 Banbury Road
Kidlington
Oxon
OX5 2BT
Company registration: 3144839

Telephone: 01865 848000 | Fax: 01865 848222

If you ring or fax them, maybe they'll give an e/mail address for future reference.
Pete.

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 am

Can I ask something that has been puzzling me?

Everyone pronounces Heljan with a 'J', but surely if it's a Danish Company, the J would be a 'y' sound??

I have always said it with the y, but what is actually correct??

Thanks.
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:25 am

Not really worth worrying about. I would expect the 'J' to be a 'Y' sound in Danish, but the other vowels and consonants may take different sound values from English as well, and the inflection with which the Scandinavian languages are spoken will also have an effect. It's possible that a Dane might say it 'Hooyan' or 'Hullya' to describe just two possibilities

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Reminds me of an exhibition I once went to in Brighton. There was a bloke standing next to me at a trade stand who looked like hadn't washed for a couple of months was wittering on about his LIMA locos pronouncing it "LIME AH" :D :D
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I was standing on Carlisle station a few months back and was talking to a fellow victim .... I mean enthusiast, and he was asking me who built the Voyagers.

I wasn't too sure, but suggested that it Bombardier, using the french pronounciation I was told to use as it's a French Canadian Company.

Straight away without missing a bet he corrected me and said that it was Bombardier, as in the guy who drops bombs from a plane.

I didn't say anything but started to deliberately mispronounce things just to see what he'd do, and every time without fail, he replied with a slightly incorrect answer!! :lol: :lol:

I didn't even bother to ask him about Heljan models!!
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Try "Seuthe" next time and see how you get on (pronounced zoyther) :) :)
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

stevebar

Postby stevebar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 am

Not really worth worrying about.

8)

Remember when BBC newsreaders started getting all PC about pronouncing place names?

The earliest I remember was Moira Stewart pronounced Valencia (Spain) as "Valenthia".

Sorry love, as far as I'm concerned it's Valencia. It's in Spain. Valenthia is in Espagne.

Remember Pamela Stephenson exagerating Angela Rippon's pronunciation of Guerrilia? :D

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm

I Thuppothe it doesthnt matter what you thay if the other perthon underthtands what you mean really! :lol: :lol:

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Well had a pair of wrap round buffer beams for my Colas loco y'day from Howes, not a lot of good really,, RED !!!

Useless...

However they tell me the black ones are out of stock..

Probably be ok on my DRS loco !!

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:18 am

Not all bad surely? buy yourself a paintbrush and some black paint!

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Thats the problem with us Brits...

Apparently we never complain...

Would you accept a hamburger if you asked for a steak ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Did anyone ever find an email address for Heljan UK, or an email contact form? I can't even find one on their Danish site :( .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:21 am

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/v ... p?CatID=19

Not that great though, a lot of stuff is out of stock and they don't always answer emails.
All Aboooooard !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 am

Howes are the UK contact point, I don't think Heljan really deal with end customers. Perhaps what isn't appreciated is that Heljan itself is a relatively small business, and run very 'lean' by the account I have seen. The owners are also the toolmakers for the plastic injection moulding, which is part of how they contain costs and are able to do a proportion of their manufacturing in Denmark and offer such a large choice of product - their main business is in HO lines. Whether you like the resulting way they run their business is up to you, it is what it is and unlikely to change.

On balance, by turning out a good range of diesel classes including many minor and prototype specimens I feel they have been very good for UK OO. Ready to run class 15s, hopefully soon to be joined by a couple of disc headcode class 23s on my layout, were never likely product from either of Bach or Hornby. The chassis are good too, smooth, quiet and reliable; and they did - eventually - respond to feedback and switch to nickel silver wheels. When they have had problems with the bought in chassis, full replacement programmes have been efficiently organised While the spares supply isn't perfect, is the spares supply of Bachmann and Hornby any better? - and it is Heljan's name that most often comes up as the maker to look at for plastic diesel detailing parts, because they do have a range of their detail mouldings available most of the time...

They are obviously intending to stay active in the UK market: with the end of diesel subjects without models in sight, the advent of their first UK steam model is waited with interest here. Not that I want this model, but I want to see the standard of it as a taster for whatever they do as follow up steam models. With the rough reception their electrics have had, hopefully if steam gets a thumbs up they will switch over exclusively and we can three or four new subjects a year not duplicating what is already satisfactorily available. Hopefully they won't decide they have to have an A3 or A4 in the range! With any luck they might restrict themselves to steam subjects from the Northern half of the UK too, it was the Danelaw once after all.

Return to “Heljan”