Class 33 Coupling

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
a4pacific

Class 33 Coupling

Post by a4pacific »

I just got a Class 33 abd it came with 2 nem couplings, had a look at the bogie and cannot see any nem pockets to fit them, should there be nem pockets?
Bigmet

Re: Class 33 Coupling

Post by Bigmet »

They should be present, but bear in mind they are slightly different in form from the little cuboid with a rectangular opening that Bach and Hornby use. Look at the loco end on, and there should be a rectangular opening visible to take the coupler tails; there's a protruding pin below, with a couple of spring whiskers bearing on it. If yopu cannot see the rectangular opening, then maybe the components were left off, it is all clip fit parts.(To get the couplers in it is easiest to have the loco upside down, and hold the pocket with tweezers to stop it moving sideways as you try to get the 'fishtail' into the pocket.)
a4pacific

Post by a4pacific »

I am afraid they are not there, see this:

Question is , will Heljan be able to sell me the missing bit?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You would certainly hope so. But if this was a new purchase from a shop, you could go for a return for refund on the basis that it is 'unfit for purpose', a bit heavy handed but it is your legal right: a good retailer would use his or her imagination and either exchange it for an equivalent item if in stock, or loot the parts from another model; then follow up with the wholesaler to get the missing components replaced. Otherwise contacting Howes of Oxford would likely be your best move as they have the UK Heljan agency.
a4pacific

Post by a4pacific »

Unfortunately its from Ebay, have asked seller for a discount, the part is available at Howes and have ordered it, thanks for your info and help.
a4pacific

Post by a4pacific »

I have to add this, the coupling pocket needs some force to pull it out, the fact it was missing on both ends led me to think that the factory has forgotten to put them on, this class 33 was made in china where as the other 2 Heljans I have class 35 and class 52 was made in Denmark. Also the running of this chinese made class 33 was terrible, it stops for no reason and after investigating, it was found the copper contacts for the wheels were not making good contact, I had to disassemble the bogie assembly and reset the copper plate so as to make a good contact with the wheels. If my model is typical of the quality of things coming out from China, then this will be my last Heljan.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Unless I am completely mistaken, Heljan have always sourced the mechanisms for UK outline locos from China. The current process is that bodies are tooled and moulded in Denmark, then sent to China to be united with mechanisms, and shipped back to Europe as complete models. In the past, my recollection is that the Chinese made mechanisms were sent to Denmark and combined with the bodies there, but when the change to the current method occurred I don't know.
a4pacific

Post by a4pacific »

Thanks for the info, the only thing I noticed was the other Heljans I have bought may be a year ago got Made in Denmark, this Class 33 which I just bought has Made in China on the box. I do not know what they actually do in manufacturing until you told me.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The fact that yours say made in Denmark implies to me that the chassis on those were installed in the bodies in Denmark. Certainly the most recent releases that I have seen now say made in China on the boxes. It all comes down to how well Heljan can manage the relationship with Regal Way, their Chinese manufacturing partner. I would imagine it was competitive price pressure going against Bachmann that has led Heljan to move final assembly to China. Wonder how long it will be before the bodies are made in China too?
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Is it just me or does anyone else thing Heljan's coupling housing is pants? Particularly on the Hymek!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
kjiwizard

Post by kjiwizard »

Hello

Did you get the pockets and if so how did you manage to fit them pleas as I'm having problems getting them in

ta
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

kjiwizard wrote:Hello

Did you get the pockets and if so how did you manage to fit them pleas as I'm having problems getting them in

ta
Hi
As the posts above are nearly six years old you may do better sending a PM to the OP? :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.