Heljan Class 86

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Dalders

Re: Heljan Class 86

Postby Dalders » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi, has anyone tried to put a DCC chip on one of these?

I've got an NCE decoder, and although it works with the body off, there's just NO WAY you can fit the body back on again, as the socket is right at the top of the inside, and there's no 'headroom' for the wires (basically, the wires + pins are thicker than the blanking plate, and it won't fit!)

Also, without the body, the loco moves fine, but with the body on as well as it will go, the loco hardly moves, so it's obviously fouling somewhere, but i can't see where, as the 'insides' are inside a plastic block....

On the verge of sending it back.....

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Each to their own

I am happy to carry on detailing and remotoring Hornby ones! :D

Cheers

Jim

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 pm

I saw the Freightliner 86605 yesterday and it looked OK except for the pantograph - what a howler, and I am not the most fussy of modelers either!!

Instead I bought a rather beautious looking Hornby model of the 'Brit' Firth Of Clyde complete with all the extra bits such as extra coal to fill the empty tender, etc etc. :lol: :oops:

Anyway, I'm sure the pantograph could be replaced with a better version from somewhere, but what's this about a class 85 I hear??

WHEN??!! ....WHERE!!!
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Hiya

Class 85 from Bachmann. When? Who knows but its on the list. Expect an 81 to follow and I still have a hunch on a class 90 appearing from Hornby at some point. That BW pan on the Limby 87 is just too well researched for that model.

Cheers

Jim

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Cool!!

Just hope they get the SF panto sorted out too!! :lol:
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I've just read the gushing Hornby Mag review of the Freightliner 86, I don't think I've laughed quite so much for a while.

"The pantograph looks very neat and is in keeping with the fine proportions of the model..." is how they described by far the worst aspects of the model. "...the livery on our sample looks absolutely spot on..." when the livery shows up the body moulding faults, and "...neat printing of logos and numbers and crisp edges between all colours". This last quote is perhaps the funniest, the center spread photograph of their sample model shows anything but a crisp edge between the yellow cab front and green bodyside, poor coverage of yellow above the cab windows and a positively translucent cantrail stripe that barely shows up in some places. Even parts of the potted class history is incorrect, stating they were supplied in 'electric blue' when they were actually painted in the early rail blue with the old style white window surrounds rather than full yellow ends. It took me all of 5 minutes to dig the livery info out of the AC Electric Groups website to confirm the error.

Has the reviewer ever seen a class 86? He certainly didn't research them properly. More to the point, when did magazines let the manufacturer write the review, because thats exactly how the 'review' reads. I wonder how they would describe the paint job on the model of 'Alstom Heritage' where the white paint doesn't cover the lower window edges fully, leaving the blue to clearly show through in places. Personally speaking I'd rather a review is objective and bluntly outlines a models faults rather than rewrite these faults into plus points!

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know?

It used to be that Railway Modeler got criticised for regurgitating press releases. It looks like that honour now falls to Hornby Mag.
Can't wait for the rest to review it. In particular looking forward to Rail Express Modeler

Russell

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 pm

rb277170 wrote:Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know?

Russell

Have you seen the Model Rail reviews of the Vi Trains Class 47, I don't think thats all positive....
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:27 am

rb277170 wrote:Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know? ...

One of the reasons why it is better getting model review information online these days. Another reason is that the reviewers very often don't (should really write 'didn't' because it is quite some time since I last looked in a mag) know enough about the prototypes they are trying to review. And then there is the failure to use any consistent standard for evaluation. The model should measure and look like the prototype, run realistically, be well constructed and have its' features explored; and it is handy if the reviewer can point out how the model might be altered or adjusted to improve any deficiencies. All these things can be described objectively, which is potentially useful information. Instead there is endless banging on about what it looks like, (pictures of prototype and model are all that is required, we have eyes) and a sketchy coverage of a few points the reviewer is interested in.

There is a far better cross-section of experience online, and you can evaluate it for yourself. When a model basically measures and looks right, a concensus is usually pretty clear. When there is something wrong, it is quickly obvious; and you usually get the 'what can be done' analysis. Sometimes the answer is 'too badly off to be worth considering'. Same thing with running, construction, features; the models are pulled apart by numerous users who quickly discover what problems exist, and are usually working away at a solution too.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Rail Express Modeller for all your diesel reviews. Honesty is their middle name, kindness ain't....

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Zunnan wrote:I've just read the gushing Hornby Mag review of the Freightliner 86, I don't think I've laughed quite so much for a while.

Althought its good for a larf, that is the precise reason why I don't by the mag. Why pay money for BS reviews?

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 am

rb277170 wrote:Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know?l

One of my other (many) hobbies is R/C aircraft. The two Australian magazines are literally unbelievable - never a negative review and inevitably a full-page spread from the supplier with said product being reviewed somewhere within the pages of the review!!! Which is a major reason I get UK magazines such as RCME as well...
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

mrr9

Postby mrr9 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 am

ngresley wrote:
rb277170 wrote:Ahh magazines don't like negativity. Your only allowed to write good things about models, didn't you know?l

One of my other (many) hobbies is R/C aircraft. The two Australian magazines are literally unbelievable - never a negative review and inevitably a full-page spread from the supplier with said product being reviewed somewhere within the pages of the review!!! Which is a major reason I get UK magazines such as RCME as well...

if mags do write bad stuff or some thing the supplier does not like:

The mag get frozen out and not supplied with any more stuff to revew from that company.

I seen it happen in the PC and also the book review area

Mark

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Why pay money for BS reviews?

Why pay money for any reviews? Loads of pics of class 86 out there - why do you need to buy your opinions? What do YOU think?

Cheers

Jim

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Some years ago a friend of mine had some limited editions produced by Lima. He sent samples to some magazines for them to make reviews. A couple of the mags asked if they could keep the samples, but he told them he wanted them returned, at which point these two magazines gave scathing reviews, whereas other mags gave good reviews :?

I think if Heljan gave me a free class 86, I too would say nice things about it knowing they will also be making many more desirable models!

Return to “Heljan”