GOT A FAVORATE DIESEL MULTIPE UNIT

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

Re: GOT A FAVORATE DIESEL MULTIPE UNIT

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 am

The old Class 121 (I know it was a single unit, but they could still works as MUs) that used to shuttle between Leamington and Stratford-upon-Avon. The Chassis had sagged from the weight of the engine. Instead of beefing up the truss rods, they trimmed the tops and bottoms of the doors to fit the curve. If you looked along the side of it you could see the dip in the line of the door handles and hinges. Reminded me of a Triang coach that had been left too long in the shop window.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

point Blank

Postby point Blank » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:29 am

I have driven the following classes of multiple unit 142, 150-1,150-2,153,156,158,175 and 180.
My current favourite strangely enough is the 142, although in the past I'd say it was the 158. Having said that both were poor in the low adhesion leaf fall period with the 175 winning on that front.
My worst one is and always has been the 153, from a drivers perspective I really cant think of anything good about them.

markh

Postby markh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm

i have to say the marmite 142 unit shakey has hell launches you up in the air when your on the toilet or in the gang way along with the noise there marmite you either love then or hate them

but hate 156 singal car during rush hour i went on singal car unit to wigton cramed full but i got there for free :mrgreen:
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 am

I should've added that in terms of travelling,the 156s that run the Norwich/Sheringham route are nice enough.Reasonable space storage for a folded baby buggy & good enough for our needs..............
Might be sentimental about the 101,but not practical nowadays.

retroman

Re: Re:

Postby retroman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am

phil sabin wrote:
Sprintex wrote:
retroman wrote:Is an HST a dmu? I would argue that its two separate locomotives (with no passenger accomodation) operating in push-pull mode, with unpowered coaching stock in between.

I would further define a DMU as coaching stock with the ability to change gear! :D

:roll:

Paul

lol, nice one fella :mrgreen:

Not splitting hairs at all! I made a perfectly valid point! A HST is a pair of class 43s plus a rake of stock operated in fixed formation. A DMU has an underslung power unit, which is wholly different.

If a HST is a DMU, then so is a rake of stock with a class 50 at each end!

Enter the debate instead of making childish comments!
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:41 pm

LMS articulated prototype

and 109s and 125s

also see:
page with list and piccys

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Favourite hate?...the one they modelled the old Triang Hornby Metro Cammell one with gnarled wheels on, which replaced branch line steam where I lived. Great motor, wish they would re-release it in modern guise so I could write 'Steam Lives On' graffiti on the sides!
rocketman

Return to “Real World Railways”