The significance of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bigmet

The significance of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:42 pm

A sensible BBC article on railways. The significance of the Stockton and Darlington Railway outlined.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-56168296
Get ready for the bicentenary...

Bufferstop

Re: The significance of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm

I'd never realised that painting was by Cuneo. He seems to be trying to recreate a style current at the time of opening. I like the touches where he emphasizes the detail, like the ballast - if truly representative wouldn't mean a lot to someone who'd never seen railway track, but he leaves no doubt that it was loose stones.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Re: The significance of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Postby Bigmet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:40 am

The Stephensons, George and Robert, over a relatively brief period 'put the railway together' from the best of proven techniques of the day, and the 'technological stretch' of advancing the engineering of the traction, rolling stock and the track and its supporting infrastructure. This was 'bleeding edge' in 1825, and 'team Stephenson' would go on to survey lines, and lead on initial construction and supply of traction all over Western Europe and North America, as well as most of the early lines in the UK.

Return to “Real World Railways”