Rotating axleboxes

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
muggins

Rotating axleboxes

Postby muggins » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:22 pm

I have little if any interest in model diesel locototives, and I know even less about full-size ones, but after stumbling upon a YouTube thing about Hatton's wobbly Class 66, I'm intrigued by these 'ere rotating axleboxes.

What is the point of rotating axleboxes? What actually rotates? And why might that be considered a Good Thing to have on a real locomotive??

Bigmet

Re: Rotating axleboxes

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Here's one maker's description.
http://www.nsk-literature.com/en/railwa ... wnload.pdf
Fill your boots!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:14 am

They are actually open ended axleboxes, what can be seen roatating on the real thing is the bearing with the axle stub in it. Usually painted yellow just to make sure you see it turning. My assumption on first seeing one is that the design is for ease of maintenance, allowing the bearing to be pulled out and replaced without dropping the wheelset. I can see the attraction of modelling the feature.
It's another case of the prototype copying the model. Back in the fifties when Triang''s models had two plastic wheels and half axles on a steel rod, they had open ended axleboxes, only we used to paint them black so you couldn't see them going round!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

muggins

Postby muggins » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 am

Cheers gents. I suppose there's no hope now of finding out who came up with the daft term "rotating axleboxes" and giving him a stern talking-to ...

Return to “Real World Railways”