The Clergy and Railways!?! ...

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

The Clergy and Railways!?! ...

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:08 pm

I was asked to give a talk in 2020 to a clergy discussion group on the subject 'Clergy and Trains'. This group had decided to have its annual outing on The East Lancs Railway and I was to be the after dinner 'entertainment'! It did not work out, for obvious reasons in 2020, as the Covid-19 pandemic altered everyone's plans!

However, as a result of the request, I began to study what was available online and in the press on this subject and the place it takes in the wide range of interests available to the clergy. ... Whether my research counts as original research, I very much doubt. However, you might find what follows of interest!

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/11/14/cl ... d-railways

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that the clergy love trains." So started an article by Ed Beavan in the Church Times on 15th June 2011, entitled 'All Steamed Up About Trains'. [1] On the centenary of the birth of the Revd W. V. Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, Ed Beavan asked, in his article in the Church Times, why so many clergy are railway buffs.

Bufferstop

Re: The Clergy and Railways!?! ...

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:09 pm

A wonderful article, extremely well researched. It's a shame the clergy didn't get to have their after dinner entertainment. Who knows it may yet be put to it's intended purpose.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Thank you, Bufferstop!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:31 am

A late vicar of the parish I frequent, maintained that travelling by train was firstly a wonderful way to catch up on reading; and secondly so often an occasion to meet people who needed to be met, in so many ways. A more recent incumbent had so many station signs, that the parish had to exercise itself in providing secure storage for the collection. We shall not speak of the curate that securely and robustly glued his extensive layout structure to the walls of the room, such that it had to be replastered when he departed after the (most successful) completion of his title post. (We are going for a girl this time, who seems to major on music, cooking and artistic expression in general.)

As for the mention of Revd Butler-Gallies' 'Field Guide'. I was so impressed by this work, that my copy was sent to the Diocesan Office where I am sure it will prove invaluable to the innocent lay folk who attempt administrative support to this unruly herd of cats.

Notice has been taken of the extremely unorthodox use of what I assume must be described as a 'banginterrobang'.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:47 am

It's hardly a surprise. With a compulsory working week of Sunday, and the ability to organize hatch, match and despatch services pretty much to your own timetable*, an absorbing hobby in trains, real and/or models, is a great time filler/hobby.

*Pun intended.

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:51 am

Thank you both, Bigmet and Byegad!

captrees

Postby captrees » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Interesting article, as always, Roger.

And talking of clergy and railways, I believe we have a mutual friend with whom we travelled on the "Indian Pacific" train recently.

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:56 am

Tell me more, captrees.

captrees

Postby captrees » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 am

PM sent.........

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:43 am

It goes back a long way. Many of those rather fine photos of broad gauge GWR expresses were taken by a gent by the name of (if my memory serves me right) the Rev A H Malan.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Return to “Real World Railways”